1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao playing time under Coach A

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tsunami, Nov 9, 2007.

1. tsunami

tsunami Member

I feel a little uncomfortable to see coach A play Yao for a whole one and half quarter (18 minutes) without even one second rest. Even players as strong as Kobe or Lebron need some rest. What's coach's intuition behind? Is he doing some test or what? :rolleyes:

2. Scoola

Scoola Member

Yeah, I noticed it too. Adelman left Yao in for about 5 minutes with 4 bench players. I am guessing he wants to see how the others play off of Yao. Or maybe he is testing his conditioning.The good thing is that Yao stamina seems a lot better this year.

3. MM=unbeatable

MM=unbeatable Member

i guess Yao can play that long,last season Yao just dont know he can cos JVG didnt try and now coach A is helping Yao explore that potential :)
    take it easy,man

4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i think he's just trying to get yao REALLY acclimated to the offense. the last 2 games he has been playing superb. as yao gets completely used to the offense where he's not overthinking, he'll play 35 mins a game.

tracy was playing a ton earlier in the yr but now is kinda less. so relax.

yao struggled to learn the O the most so he has to play through it. he's getting better

5. onethreeeleven

Perhaps Yao is good at playing basketball. Consequently we should encourage him to play as much as possible?

I may be way off here...

6. Mysteryhunt

Mysteryhunt Member

a decent layoff between games so not that worried about the minutes. though its a long season and yao has been hurt the last 2 years. so i would like us to protect him and T-mac as much as possible.

7. ericmark

ericmark Member

Yao is the key for the team success. Coach A wants to see who fits better around Yao.

8. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

But don't know if anybody notices that with such a long PT, Yao still looked fine. He didn't wind badly like last season. So probably if Yao can mix some high post game with low post game, he can play a little longer. ;)

9. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Member

I don't totally agree though.

Yao isn't out there laboring the entire time like he was under assistant coach Gundy.

He's much more fresh at the end of games because he's playing in the high post at times, it's reserving his energy and keeping him fresh.

I don't see him with his head tucked and looking like he's running a drill up and down the court as before, then bent over like he he's an amatuer.

10. RocketClay

RocketClay Member

Yao is probably getting extended to:

1) train his body to endure long stretches and work at the faster pace that this offense will operate in (not the same as the slow as heck van gundy half court offense)

2) get yao more time to learn the scheme

11. xomox

xomox Member

he got the break between the 1st and 2nd quarter.

12. ssff33

ssff33 Member

yao feel comfortable in princeton system,not tired.

13. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Member

he was trying to show yao to 200 million viewers in china.

but- regardless, he never looked the least bit tired.

14. LCII

LCII Member

Playing 30 minutes under JVG equals playing 40 minutes under Adelman's Offence

15. lalala902102001

Under RA's offense, Yao often starts in the high post and rotates to the low post after setting a screen. This saves him a ton of energy that he would have wasted banging for position in the post under a JVG offense.

16. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

Doesn't seem like it effects Yao at all, so why complain about it? If the long minutes does start to take effect, then something should be said.

17. sanhu8080

sanhu8080 New Member

agree

18. thehkmint

thehkmint Member

Yao doesn't need to fight for position all the time (and not getting the ball), so it's fine to play longer time under coach A.

19. Astockmarketgod

im one for having Yao and Tmac... play less.. atleast until the second half...

lets let them cruise along until the playoffs....

we got a bench lets use it....come playoff time were going to need them...

unless you guys like seeing 2 on 5 basketball...

20. poprocks

poprocks Member

The team's offense went cold when Yao was out. The offense doesn't flow as well.