1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush Economics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Nov 9, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

or a nobel prize winning economist.

FACE EGG YOLK RUNNING DOWN IS

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, I think the difference may be greater than 12%. The coverage today doesn't compare to that of 30 years ago, in my opinion. My father was able to have Dr. Denton Cooley, one of the premiere heart surgeons in the world, do his bypass surgery and remove his gall bladder. His coverage was Blue Cross/Blue Shield. As for Bush, do you seriously think the only major difference is that he lowered income taxes? Perhaps I'm not getting the joke!

D&D. Attempt Civility!

Impeach Bush.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I do not believe that the market equals the economy, which is why I refuted danny's post that claimed that a down day in the market = a weak economy. Try to keep up, or recuse yourself from the debate.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you will read my post, it is not limited to this single instance. You have done it several times in the past. As you say, try to keep up, or recuse yourself.

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i doubt very seriously that cooley went anywhere near your father's gall bladder. and if it had been 40 years ago, my old man might have scrubbed in.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, he removed his gall bladder. Cooley had a thing about doing surgeries on patients he had done bypasses on, who were at risk during the procedure. If your father was around then (1970's), ask him.

D&D. Attempt Civility!

Impeach Bush.

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Exactly. I used to worry about this crap. But I've come to accept that the average middle class Republican making $50k a year, struggling to get by, gets what they deserve.

Since I've benefitted from the inequality at their expense, I salute their ignorance. Screw the middle class. A better and earlier retirement for me.

Viva Tax Cuts for the Wealthy!

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If we're going to pin a decline in income from 30 years ago on Bush, should we at least give him credit for improving our fashion sense?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=137401

And I guess by that measure, we should also be giving him credit for increasing the income of women who's real income surely went up (and thus was conveniently ignored in the article). [there may have been some other factors involved perhaps -- but why muddy the article].

I am curious how they concluded on the 12% drop. And if that was unique to the US. I just don't buy it.

I found the article silly. Gee -- how come the lowest 20% of income earners didn't have their taxes reduced by $18,000 too???

I agree with the pemise -- Bush has been a poor leader -- but, man...what a shoddy article to support it.

9. danny317

danny317 Member

build your house on quick sand and your foundation will crack.

10. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Do we really need this expert analysis to know the actual economic health of America?

Geez.

11. deepblue

deepblue Member

what are you talking about?

12. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Yeah, when the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US one, gold is at $850 and oil nearing $100 and the administration has to subsidize gasoline to keep the country going, I know the economy is just roaring...

14. danny317

danny317 Member

masses buying stuff on credit, 0 savings rate...

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Metaphor Flag! :D

Build your house on quicksand (if that's possible), and your foundation will sink.

Build your house on sand, and your foundation will crack.

And now back to the normal broadcast D&D poo flinging. :D

#35 thumbs, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Honestly, how many presidents have there been in the past 30 years? And you want to blame Bush for everything? Im not saying Bush has been a great president, but to say his fiscal policy (which hasnt exactly been radical) is the cause of all this I think is wrong.

I think our troubles have more to do with our monetary policy. Greenspan devalued our currency and led us from one bubble to another.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't blame Bush for everything, just one hell of a lot. The former GOP led Congress are partners in crime. Did Greenspan write the budgets? Did Greenspan not exercise one single veto (except for the stupid stem cell one, which had nothing to do with monetary policy) of the wildly outrageous pork fest of the GOP Congress? To simply blame things on Greenspan does a disservice to Greenspan. Considering what he had to deal with, he did, in my opinion, a pretty decent job.

And you don't consider coming into office claiming to be a fiscal conservative, with a GOP Congress claiming to be fiscally conservative, said by both while running for office, with a budget surplus coming in, and then running record budget deficits, record trade deficits, and growing the size of government 40% isn't radical? And heck, I left a lot out.

Come on, I know you're wiser than that. Was Greenspan "perfect?" Of course not, but to blame him is, with all due respect, like blaming Hannibal's invasion of the Roman Republic on the elephants.

D&D. Attempt Civility!

Impeach Bush for Promoting Torture.

#37 Deckard, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Interesting take there. How many presidents have pushed through a war and major tax cuts at the same time?

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The devaluation of the dollar absolutely can be blamed on Bush. It was part of a plan to bolster American manufacturing (which seems to not have really worked). It is no coincidence that the dollar was exceptionally strong all through 8 years of Clinton/Greenspan, and has steadily gone in the toilet for the 7 Bush/Greenspan/Bernanke.

I can give you references to this if you want.

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Bush Proud U.S. Economic Woes Can Still Depress World Markets

WASHINGTON, DC—While speaking to a group of White House reporters, President Bush fended off questions about the weak state of the dollar, the expected long-term deficit caused by Social Security and Medicare payments, and a faltering housing market by assuring reporters that the U.S. economy's ability to have such a widespread negative impact on the world only further proves it is "easily the best."

"Our recent credit crisis alone has been enough to depress share prices in Japan, Rome, China, and Brazil," a smirking Bush said during a press conference Thursday.

"Sounds to me like our economy is still pretty powerful." Bush later added that he was equally proud of the impact U.S. foreign policy has had over the past six years, adding that only a truly great president could be capable of fostering so much hatred across the globe.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/bush_proud_u_s_economic