1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[time is running out] What college should I go to?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsMac, Nov 8, 2007.

?

where should I go (read my post for explanation)?

1. Texas A&M-Aggies for life!

16.2%
  2. Rice University

59.5%
  3. University of Houston

24.3%
  1. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

so yaoluv, my high school is holding reading comprehension tutorials every Saturday from 10-2 .. I think you might be interested.. :D

please show me where I said that I think I am too good for UT, UH, & A&M.. actually, an average 3rd grader would understand that I am really leaning toward TAMU if he read my 1st post carefully (provided that he is not on crack)..

damn, everyday I meet a new Longhorn homer, it makes me hate UT even more :D
    J-Train ftw:
    [​IMG]

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I hope for his sake high school isn't the highlight of his life.

3. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I think I was on crack, I apologized a couple posts up, sorry again

I think as soon as I see the words hate and vince young in the same sentence my eyes go red and i lose focus lol

Best of luck wherever you go sir

4. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

LOL, in that case, disregard my comeback post ^^^^ :D

I actually don't hate UT that much, I have a UT t-shirt and a sweat shirt! and I was pulling for them in the Rose Bowl when they one it and VY was clutch.. but from the day I saw their recruiter and compared her to the A&M respectable and knowledgeable recruiters, plus the fact that UT wants to steal your money and have u pay for dorm even before your accepted, I developed a mild hatred for UT :D

5. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

thanks dude, I really appreciate all the advice I am gettin' from my fellow BBSers, makes me proud of being a cf member :D

oh and btw, special thanks for rocketsjudoka, that was great advice man, I really appreciate it..

6. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Have you visited any of the colleges you mentioned? Have you spent a day at College station or Austin.

My point was is to not prejudge things without knowing them.

I mean don't you have friends you visited in college? Your are a senior right, surely you know someone who is there that you can hang out with for a weekend and see what college is like

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

They might say no.

1. You're from Houston which is an automatic strike against you. They want diversity.

2. Top 10% is good but it's not a lock. Obviously your SAT scores will weigh heavily.

For example, my wife was probably a typical Rice student: she was 2nd in her class, had a better SAT score than you, was a cheerleader (maybe not typical of your average Rice student), National Merit Scholar (majority of Rice students), and came from out of state (CT) - all factors they consider.

8. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

is she hot? hehe

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

True, they may turn him down. I have a young cousin (my uncle's son, and my uncle just retired as Dean of a college at a major Houston university... academia runs in the family, I guess!) who had a better record than our young BBSer here, and he couldn't get into Rice. He was from the Houston area. I think you're right about that, RIET.

#109 Deckard, Nov 9, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  10. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

your post made a lot of sense RIET, thanks..

anyway, if they say no, they just made my life 10000X easier, I will just go to UH or A&M, and it wouldn't go down in history that "I COULD'VE gone to Rice" because they rejected me..

I guess BigSherv's post makes sense too.. I will go to A&M next Saturday, and I've been to Rice several times..

as I said, my physics teacher gave me a great advice: he told me to apply, see the offers, then decide, it's waaaay too premature to decide right now..

11. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

damn I have a GPA higher than yours and I'm not even in the top 10%

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're welcome and good luck where ever you go to.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread is useless without pics..

Someone had to say it.

14. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

where do you go? hearing from seniors at clements it takes around a 5.2 to get into the top 10. (based on 6 points for an A in an honors/ap class)

im a sophomore and im looking at a 5.1 or so right now

15. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Yeah, Clements is crazy competetive. One slip up and you're out of contention.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Then why is your thread titled time is running out?

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That is hilarious, a guaranteed full ride?

Where's the dotted line?

I had higher marks than you coming out of HS and UH didn't preemptively guarantee me a full ride... I had to apply first before I got any sniff of financial aid.

And this was back in 2000, before the college generation boom happened and UH saw a large increase in quality and number of applicants.. making scholarship monies more competitive...

18. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

well, ours is based on 4 for regular classes and 5's for APs, not 6, so technically, mine is higher...

btw, I go to westside, one of the most competitive schools in H-town..

19. pongd

pongd Member

20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Haha, is this a joke?