1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing Scola and Yi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abcdef, Nov 7, 2007.

1. dedong22

dedong22 Member

lol, cant argue with that :D

2. pli777

pli777 Member

Why should he? I mean if I was him, why would I care how old the public really thinks I am. Doubt all you want, it doesn't have a single impact on him.

3. abcdef

abcdef Member

I know the CBA is utter garbage because I watch the games every so often, especially when I go back to China. The Euroleague is way better. Very crappy third rate American players go over and dominate. When the CNT without Yao went Europe to play, they lost every single match.

4. bloop

bloop Member

here's the difference between scola and yi:

1) scola belongs on clutchfans' houston rockets game action & roster forum and yi doesn't

2) scola is on a good winning team full of vets and hasn't gotten PT to get adjusted and prove himself. yi is on a scrub team that probably wont make the playoffs. with 1 good player and 1 average player on his team, yi's gotten both playing time and opportunities to display his skills

3) after 5 games... everything written about either of their games is subject to change

it's odd to even make this comparison... maybe to get any ink in china writers are forced to relate every scrap of NBA coverage to yi or yao but I dont think houston fans look at scola and automatically think "yi" as a comparison. they're totally different types of players, what about their games is comparable?

even if you're a yi fan you should be looking at durant as yi's idol and point of comparison. despite yi's years on durant and vast more experience, durant is lighting it up and is getting better every game. considering they'll be playing against each other their entire careers and they have similar liabilities like lack of strength and similarities like athletic ability. though durant is a sure 30ppg allstar at some point in his career and yi still has a long way to go to prove himself a 20ppg caliber talent (though like durant he has potential)

5. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well I don't think it is fair to compare the 2.

• Yi is with Milwaukee Bucks, a young team, that had made great efforts in getting Yi's Guangdong Hongyuan Tigers and CBA to have him signed his rookie contract, and therefore offering him alot of playing minutes, and even started him.
    • Of course Yi also showed lots of potential and athletism and great learning curve in his adaptation to NBA and gel-in with his team.
    • And he's showing a lot of energy and passion in his past games versus some lesser opponents in the East.
    As for Luis Scola

• he did not get as many play minutes as he would have wanted behind Chuck Hayes.
    • And all the teams he faced are much stronger teams with much established star power forwards like Carlos Boozer and Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki.
    • And he is still adapting to new NBA rules and gel-in with his team mates the way that Yi Jianlian is also.
    But as much as I like Yi Jianlian to be successful in NBA, I also look forward to Luis Scola becoming successful as well.

BTW, they both are on the Top 10 of the Rookie of the Year ranking. Yi is currently ranked #2 behind Kevin Durant, and Luis Scola is not that worst.....he is ranked #7 !!

http://www.nba.com/rookies/rankings.html

6. abcdef

abcdef Member

They are both international rookies and I found it curious that the one that was supposed to need more seasoning has come out far better than the supposedly more polished player.

You crossed yourself up by saying that Durant is Yi's comparison, because he isn't. They really aren't the same player at all. Durant is a swingman and Yi is a PF/C. I think Yi's best comparison is Chris Bosh as a high end and Andrea Bargnani as a low end.

7. howe070523

howe070523 Member

hes 20

8. dexkk

dexkk Member

I think because Scola is from the Euro league, he has a harder time adjusting. When I mean adjusting, I'm talking about all those fouls he gets playing aggressive like he used to in Europe.

9. howe070523

howe070523 Member

Put Scola on Bucks he will be starting.
    Yi is no where near Scola's level.

10. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

He's born in 1985. That would've make him 22

11. howe070523

howe070523 Member

He was born in 1987.

12. JustWannaChill

Older than Oden??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

13. abcdef

abcdef Member

Before the season started I would have agreed with you, but now I must strongly disagree. Yi is totally outperforming Scola whether you look at per minute or per game production. Plus Scola looks totally out of sorts on the court while Yi looks like he belongs.

It's not like Yi is the main man in the Milwaukee offense; he has Mo Williams, Michael Redd, Desmond Mason, and arguably Bogut to score in front of him. It's not like Yi has no competent backup; Charlie V would be starting here.

Honestly Scola looks like he doesn't belong in the NBA in the first 5 games. I really hope he improves as the season goes on. Yao looked horrible too at the start, kept working, got his chance when Cato got injured, and took off. Let's see if Scola can do something similar, I'm hoping for it.

14. howe070523

howe070523 Member

He looks like 50 years old thou.

15. slinshadi

slinshadi New Member

tell u all guys, i'm from china, according to the inquiry system of guangdong social Security bureau based on the internet,yi's actual age is 20. and in my postion, i hope next game on friday rockets will beat bucks. and yao will give yi a lesson, but not humuniate yi.

姓名: 易建联 性别: 男

个人缴费状态: 参保缴费

最后缴费月份: 2006年11月

16. yangfanok

yangfanok Member

Charlie V and Yi both like high post instead low post. That's doomed to get less
    rebounds. But Yi has insite ability,he's just not strong enough .

Charlie V averaged 13 ppg in his rookie year? ok let's expect Yi.

17. JustWannaChill

Nothing can beat Oden's wrinkles.

18. howe070523

howe070523 Member

Scola was forced to play a minor role on this team...we are talking about Rockets, a team with argubly two superstars and numerous quality role players whos capable of starting in more than half of teams in the league.

Scola is proven and most likely primed. All he needs to do is translate his game into NBA then we got a boarderline all star right there.
    Yi is a different story thou.
    Bucks had to play Yi cuz they desperately need a big man who can play intensive defense, I'll give Yi some credit for trying hard, but he did seem totally lost every now and then.even Bargnani, who is far from being quick and strong, managed to posterize him. Yi is a rookie, his defense is indeed better than most of us thought, however he still has a long way to go to be considered an above average defender.

19. dingye

dingye Contributing Member

I think if we only talk about basketball, Scola will be much much better than Yi. At least, Scola is MVP level player in FIBA. But Yi didn't prove himself.

But there is some additional advantages for us to get Yi.

If Rox has the two best Chinese basketball player on hands, Rox will gain extra advantage when negotiating with those CBA officials about Yao Ming's duty in Summer. That means we can only send Yi back to China instead of Yao, especially for those meaningless Asia Games. Well, if Yi can enable Yao to have a good rest in Summer. I think it will bring a 20% better Yao at least.

If this happens, Yi worth at least 3M for this.

20. howe070523

howe070523 Member

there are plenty of evidence to prove Yi is 20....but people choose what they wanted to believe.
    Yao wont be playing against Yi, but Scola/Hayes will definitely teach him a lesson.
    Charge Brothers, Foul him out in the first QTR!