1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drew not doing much

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 28, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Personally I've liked some of his progress this season, but playing 10 minutes a game apparently isn't Drew's niche. He's 0-6 in the last 2 games and though Vonteego Cummings was hot before Drew got in, he really was smoking after Drew came in.

I like this kid and wouldn't give up on him ... he's played well at times and his shot (last 2 games not withstanding) is great... but he's either got to see the time or another uniform I would think.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There are a few teams looking for a point guard. Drew may not be a savior for one of these teams, but could atleast put in 15-20 minutes of improved bench work. I think he would do wonders for SA and the Lake show. Toronto is looking for PG help.

The only problem with trading Drew is that Mobley will have to be the backup PG. I don't know if Mobley wants this job as it will slow his growtyh as a SG.

There should be a decent PG at 18-20 in the draft this year. I think Penn, Amin, and Cleaves are coming out. Maybe Erick Barkley comes out too, I think he is the best PG in the country in college.

3. Steve Phrancis

Maybe we can trade Drew for the backup point guard they have in LA, Brian Shaw. [​IMG].

4. green smurf

green smurf Member

poor brycie...this is going to sound crazy (coming from me) but i wish they WOULD trade him so that he could get more time to play more...hmm, maybe his girlfriend broke up w. him and he's so distraught (that can't be spelled right) that he can't focus...hmm, i'm single [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by green smurf (edited January 28, 2000).]

5. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Freak,

I was about to post the same thing about Drew.
    When Stevie was out, I though Drew filled the PG slot wonderfully. He was getting 30+ minutes back then.
    I think he's also the type of guy who needs to know his role in each and every game. I think he's had a bad time coping with the fact that he can play 40 minutes one night and 10 minutes the next. I think he can only perform consistently if he gets consistent minutes.

------------------
    Francis+Charles+Dream-Pippen= Rockets 2000 NBA
    Champions

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think we have no other choice but to trade him. For the next 8 years, we are going to need Steve Francis to play 38-40 minutes a game. He is a superstar and needs those types of minutes. Drew, on the other hand, is developing into a quality point guard and other GM's recognize that. Bryce Drew needs consistent minutes to be productive and get into a groove. It would be more beneficial to the Rockets to trade Bryce [in a Mobley deal [​IMG]], rather than have his talent waste away on the pine.

Spread out your talent. If you have a surplus at a position and are having trouble finding minutes, make a trade to bolster a weak area while spreading things out.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Francis-Drew... kind of reminds you of Warren Moon-Cody Carlson, doesn't it?

Carlson a decent QB and when he did get the chance to start, he really shined. Great to have in case of injury ... but probably better to see what other positions you can shore up by making a deal.

I don't know... Rudy likes Drew. I just agree with the thinking: Francis IS the future, and 38-40 minutes a night isn't a stretch. With Cat and Shandon at off-guard... that leaves few minutes for Drew.

Like 8-10 to be exact.

8. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

taking it back old school there clutch, man i remember cody carlson, whatever happened to him.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I kinda figured this was going to happen with Drew. He's just not getting the minutes here to show his worth. Whenever he's gotten consistent minutes, he's produced (see his 3 games as a starter). He's shown so far that he's just not the type of player that can immediately come into a game and be in a groove, so spot minutes are going to kill him. Mobley, on the other hand, is looking like just the opposite. He seems to play better when his minutes are cut. If we could somehow get a late first-round pick for Drew, that might be something to look hard at.

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited January 28, 2000).]

10. Steve Phrancis

Cody owns a ranch in Austin the last I heard.
    He was great as a back up but the year that he started all of the time, they went 3-13 or something.

I was a big Drew fan last year and wondered why he didn't get more PT. He looked like a better defender than Matt. The time that I started looking down him this year was when he started forcing shots and when his time started increasing, so did his ill-advised shots. I might be too hard on him but they just weren't falling.

I was also a huge Shaw fan and seeing what he did while he was in Orlando, he was a good point and could shoot the 3. 6'6" points are hard to come by. It would have been great to bring him here as a teacher to Drew.
    Drew's biggest asset is that he doesn't turn the ball over.

11. treeman

treeman Member

His biggest asset is his shooting ability. Second to that is his innate quickness. Third, his floater (he's got a beautiful floating shot, sorry, had to point it out).

His biggest drawbacks: 1) lack of confidence (this destroys half of his shots), 2)virtually no defensive game, 3) inability to get other teammates involved in the offense.

All in all, he's a decent backup PG - and that's probably all he'll ever be.

12. CaucasionSensation

I think we are finally getting somewhere in the Bryce Drew discussion!

Drew has shown that he has enough skills and fundamentals to be a decent point in this league (look at starting jobs), the problem is the Rocks just don't have the time to give him, and in other words he is worth more elsewhere.

I like Mobley but my feelings are more and more that he is very inconsistent, and selfish while on offense, and would like to see us market him for some other player, but the problem is he is best freinds with Francis (in other words right hand man of the king), so I don't think he is going anywhere. I wish he would quit that isolation / jack a 20 footer play, that makes me reach for the medicine!

Williams, should be out of here as well if I had my way! Bullard outplays Walt almost every night for only a fraction of the cost. We'd have to massicasts not to try and move him elsewhere, anywhere.

Let's hope something comes together! Draft or a playoff attempt after that 6 game streak we had really has made things difficult to judge and predict the future moves of this organization!

------------------

[This message has been edited by CaucasionSensation (edited January 29, 2000).]

13. Steve Phrancis

Bullard couldn't play D on Murasan or Musgy. It doesn't matter D is at the end of Bullard.
    He can shoot, and Walt isn't the best defender however, he isn't nearly as bad as Bullard. Walt is undersized for a 4 and sometimes they move him there.

As far as backup's go, I don't know which team we could compare him to as far as the backup point goes. Not Utah, Lakers, Timberwolves, Portland, San Antonio, Golden State(as shown, Vontego is going to be awesome), Charlotte all of which are playoff bound teams except Golden State. About the only team that I can think of is the Grizz, where he could compare to Price.

He does have a nice floater, he can usually shoot the 3, he can shoot pretty good free throws, he doesn't turn the ball over. But he can not play D, although he was better than Maloney and he picks the wrong times to shoot.

14. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Well for the most part i agreed with clutch before today vs. LA. But drew played terrific hitting huge shots, layups, and great penentration when stevie franchise was in foul trouble

------------------
    --TEX

15. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Drew played a solid game. Kudos to him for stepping in and contributing, not just being out there. I still saw alot of hesitation on some open shots, but he played with some Kool out there today.

16. Lainey

Lainey Member

I think it was the "Clutch Jinx" - the opposite of the SI jinx. Clutch - feel free to use it some more!!!!

17. green smurf

green smurf Member

i liked the little move he put on kobe...i think he shocked himself along w/ kobe and everyone else in the arena [​IMG]

------------------
    Can you see the horns emerging out of Matt Bullard's head? The antichrist has come...

18. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Drew just picked the right game! Wasn't it on national TV? [​IMG]

19. Waiting for the Parade

Drew is awesome. No one expected Mobley to be so good, but Bryce was being groomed as our next PG when he was drafted. It's a question whether he's comfortable playing Francis's back up. Wasn't Bryce a shooting guard in college, and not a point guard? I'd like to see him score more, esp off the pick n roll. I can see Bryce like a Reggie Miller if he'd get open more often off the picks. I'd also like to see some 3 guard line ups when Shandon's having a bad game (Mobley, Francis, Drew)... but we would need Drew to be able to create on fast breaks, which he isn't that great at doing.

20. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Today's game supports Clutch's theory that Bryce needs minutes to be productive. He got significant pt today and played a good game.