1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[ch 2 video] Francis interview: "I definately didn't come here not to play at all."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hilltopper, Oct 27, 2007.

1. mos-def

mos-def Member

jeeez,
    this whole story smells of a fabrication by reporters to get some dirt, some juicy story. who says steve is running his mouth about minutes?? NOT ONE PERSON HAS SAID STEVE HAS BEEN COMPLAINING. its just the media creating something because its a slow news day, and francis doesnt have a clear role on the team yet.

everyone of this board is ready to crucify the guy cause he is answering honestly questions one particular reporter is asking. its a no story in my mind, but go ahead, jump to conclusions like yall normally do. damn, i wish we could get this season started and the cuts/trades done. this really sucks. its time to stop reading these posts again.

2. Trip

Trip Member

Antoine Walker? You've gotta be kidding me. Walker has a maximum contract and would be more of a chucker than Mike James.

3. Coca Cola Scola

The reporters were just asking him those questions ( about his role on the team, rotation, if he's the same player, etc). He just answered them....it's not like he brought it up.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

At least, SF3 got a shoe contract since he came back.

5. frobot

frobot Member

A big concern here is that Francis will try even harder -- but do all the wrong things -- to prove his value, and/or show that he is still the Franchise. Meaning more dribbling, trying to make impressive highlight-reel plays, making low-percentage out-of-control drives to the basket that go nowhere, demanding the ball even more, etc.

And he'll have no idea that by doing so he's only making things worse for his situation -- at best making it less likely that he'll find a meaningful role on this team. Or worse, causing the Rockets to lose games with classic bone-headed Steve Francis play. Or still worse, lessening his trade value if he doesn't find a place on this team.

I hope I'm wrong here. Of course I'd have loved to see an older, wiser, more mature Steve return and contribute. But so far, I'm not seeing wiser and more mature. Just older.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Here's my thoughts on Steve's game.

From the start, the guy was never very quick. He dribbles well, has a great crossover, decent explosiveness, but was never extremely quick. He doesn't just blow by you like Tony Parker or Leandro Barbosa. He always relied on dribbling you to death. He would dribble, bore the defender, and then bust out with a crossover and he would repeatedly crossover until he finally could clear the defender. Good first step but mediocre speed after that.

Francis never used his skills properly. The guy is a 6-3 point guard. POST UP your damn opponents. But no, he never learned to do that. It would do him good to watch some Sam Cassell tapes and learn how to post up and develop some midrange action. The guy can just shoot over people and I always thought he would be able to do that. The guy was something like a 40% 3 point shooter in college but then we found out that he wasn't a great shooter at all and most of his points came from going to the basket.

I think the closest comparison was Baron Davis but Baron has much more quickness and uses speed and size to just turn into a tank and run over people. Also Baron works on the post. Steve just can't do that. And as time has progressed, what little speed he had has gone away.

This is why his defense was always bad. His lateral speed is terrible and keeping up with other guards is just too much. Kyle Lowry just reinforced that belief the other day by repeatedly torching him. Aging has just exposed his weaknesses even more. I think he still has hops but he has less speed.

7. cujo

cujo Member

great post...agree completely

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

WOW, I still can't believe Stevie has to try and secure minutes from Raefer freakin Alston!?!?!? Wasn't it just last year that we all were b****in about Alston having the worst shooting % of a Rocket - ever or somesuch? I dont give a flying fig what Raef has done this preseason - I'LL TAKE THE FREAKIN #1 PICK OF THE 99 DRAFT OVER SOME UNDRAFTED DUDE WHO'S HAD 2 (or was it 3) RUN-INS WITH THE LAW IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS! What freakin world are we livin in? Hey, if someone wants to argue Brooks should get courttime as an investment in the future, or that James was a solid spark plug during his previous tenure with The Rox - there's a legit arguement there. But Raefer Alston... in the regular season, IN THE PLAYOFFS - been there, done that - NO FREAKIN THANKS!
    Not to rant, just a little worked up an all, cause if Adelman can't see a no brainer like this... than I'm more than a little concerned.

9. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

a no brainer is seeing that francis was out of shape and really just did not fit in with what coach is trying to do. francis needs the ball in his hand to make something happen. Rafer is the closest thing to a pure point guard we have.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

How many teams/gms were vying for Francis (albeit at a reduced salary) vs how many would be willing to take Alston? James should start, SF3 should backup and Brooks should get some developmental minutes where possible. Granted, SF3 may not be in top form, but I've seen enough of Alston in REAL minutes to say - no thanks. Playoffs, game 7, down by one, PG stuck in the corner having to take a desperation shot - who do YOU want takin the shot? Alston?

11. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

IIRC, two other teams were after Francis, Miami and the Clippers. Two very desperate teams, so they would have taken anyone. Francis can't play winning basketball and every GM knows it, hes been shipped off 4 times since he left houston and Portland didn't even give him a look.

12. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

True True. I really have gotten the impression that Francis thought that he was not going to have to work for his playing time with this team. He chilled out had some "welcome back steve" parties and got fat. Even the other day when they did not play Yao or Tracy, Francis was not on the bench with the other players. He stayed inside with Tracy and Yao eating and chilling. The thing is that I did not read of any other players hanging out watching the game. At that point I got the feeling that maybe Steve has a misconception of where he stands on the Rox hierarchy these days. I think that Steve felt like he is still on Yao and McGrady's level and no one else is above him. And his reaction to not being in the rotation reaks of a player that thinks that the team owes him something.

Bottom line is that SF got a fat buyout and he is playing like it. I think that he is the reason why MJ and Rafer have stepped up their game in the preseason. I really dont understand all the sympathy for this guy. There is a reason he was not offered as much money to come play here, and to this point he has proven Morey wise to not have given him a cent more. SF needs to suck it up and deal with the fact that nothing is going to be handed to him. "But not to be in the rotation, to me I don't think that's what I'm looking for," he said. "If that's the case, I'd have to do something." I hope by "something" he means study the system more and get in better shape.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

What does that have to do with the starting pg? :confused:

14. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

That's clutch

15. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

alston can not shot and finish, I do not know how he fit A's system.
    A's system require everyhone can shot.

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

damn it. we're going to lose our first few games. can't believe it's going to take rick that long to realize rafer can't shoot anything, and players will start double teaming. :eek:

17. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Not an issue until he's in full form.

18. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Hopefully late in game 7 and down by one, no one is taking a corner desperation shot. Im thinking Yao or Tmac should be taking a two point shot to win. However, if someone needed to take that shot clearly, James and Head are better shooters from deep. I dont even see Alston being on the court in that scenario. That doesnt mean he cant help this team out during the rest of the game.

Like it or not, Alston has clearly been the best PG this preseason as far as the offense running smoother. No debate here. Yes, you can say but its only preseason, but isnt it only preseason for all the other PGs as well. Why havent they played as well.

I dont understand why everyone feels players are mandated minutes. You play the guys who play the best. Head has outplayed Francis. Again no debate here. Why should Luther be forced to sit when so far he has deserved to get the minutes. Im not saying Francis should get no playing time, but its not like he is being wronged if he doesnt.

19. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

don't get your hopes up. the francis you saw in preseason will be the same francis you see in the season. he is still the same player you all used to love, but now hes in a situation where all his weaknesses are exposed.

francis only succeeded because he could dominate the ball. he has never done well in an offense that wasnt revolved around himself. theres a reason why knicks fans hated him, and why portland didnt even give him a look. it's ironic how this will probably be francis' worst year of his career.

20. Pringles

Pringles Member

don't get your hopes up. the rafer you saw in the preaseason will be the same rafer from LAST SEASON you see in the season. he is still the same player you all used to hate.