1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Yao Underrated by NBA GMs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jonhty, Oct 24, 2007.

1. howe070523

howe070523 Member

MVP candidate in 2 years?
    nope, doesnt happen. Hes not dominating at both end of the court, not this season, not next season --- not until Yao passed his prime.

falls on the ground a heck of a lot? Tell me how eazy it is to maintain balance when ur 7'6. oh hang on, does it matter? nope
    Misses rebounds? Everyone in the league.
    passes? every single passer in the league misses more pass than Yao Ming. period.oh you are trying to prove hes the best passer in NBA history. my bad.
    gets his shot blocked by little people? yep, that really made him a lesser player, NOT.
    not feared to0 much when people come in the lane for his size? Why you put this in the last bit of your post, if I see this up front I wouldnt be bothered replying. FYI, Rockets lead the league last season in Interior Defense.

Yao has his weakness and strength, so does everyone. I dont give a flying rat about YOHs, but please, before you guys start trashing big Yao, make sure you do you research, otherwise you'll be the one who looks somewhat...stupid.

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

It's easy to stop Yao when needed especially during playoffs. I'm talking about a team play. If your offense starts with Yao, it's easy to disrupt it. Of course if we talk about one on one game with Yao, he's dominant in that respect.

So If I want to start a team, I'd pick LJ or Kobe, or a healthy tmac.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

4. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

5. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

people forget how good dwyane wade is?

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

7. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

a shoulder injury. he drives recklessly. well, let's see how his perimeter game is b4 many can say he's still great.

wade -> not driving is even worse than tmac jacking up jumpers all day and bricking. he's not that feared when he's not driving.

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Yao + Wade = 97.99% guaranteed championship.
    Yao + LeBron = 98.99 guaranteed championship.
    Yao + Kobe = 99.99% guaranteed championship.

9. zong

zong Member

Dwight Howard to start a team with, there will be no a single NBA title unless you have kobe on the team. No Wade, his shoulder, then ok, Duncan was injured a couple of time too. As Yao and Tmac, they should not be voted because they should never passed the first round of the playoff, I am ok with them. Pass the first round first.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Tmac is pretty good and we din't get past the first round. Yao is good player but lets not over rate him.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's not an awful list or an unbelievable insult to Yao. Other than Dirk making it. Yao has shown that he carries a legit risk of injuries and has not shown that he can impose his will in the playoffs. He's obviously top tier when he's healthy, but look at how badly he fell out against the Jazz. Say what you will about the coaching, great players make things happen. Yao got handled.

He can prove all of this wrong, and I think he has a good chance to do so. But so far he hasn't shown that he's any more of a franchise stud than Jermaine O'Neal.

Evan

12. howe070523

howe070523 Member

13. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

you're acting like yao is some all-world player like shaq and draw all the double teams to open those 3 guys up :rolleyes:

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i didn't realize spurs only put 4 players on the court :eek:

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

if i start a team, i will pick the best center, who is really good compared to the players listed here. i am not saying i pick the best center among scrubs.

this topic has a defect. your pick is impacted by assuming that except those listed players, all other players of your team are high schoolers. don't forget a very good center will not be easy to get during 5 year span. during this span, you will easily find another LJ, Tmac, or Kobe.

16. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

^ the center position is not that important since most big men nowadays are perimeter oriented. i mean, dallas made it to the finals w/ dirk. miami made it to the finals w/ shaq 60% of his old self. detroit made it to the finals w/ no inside presence unless u count a 3pt-shot happy wallace one.

spurs are the only one w/ tim duncan and he's not a REAL low post threat that just bangs you. he's just physically sound in everything he does.

to find a tmac/kobe/lebron james are tougher than u think. those guys are TRUE franchise players. they can singlehandedly bring you to the playoffs NO MATTER WHO you put on that team.

not so w/ guys like ray allen or joe johnson or vince or other all-star perimeter players.

nowadays, more Cs are PFs. bosh plays C a lot now. same w/ howard. same w/ amare. more of those type of big men will come as they are the next generation. and they all seem to do well b/c the big men nowadays are just not very strong.

but tmac/kobe/lebron, you might think they're a lot out there, but trust me they're not.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

how many real active centers you can list nowaday? maybe 1. how many great active players (excluding centers) you've already listed? at least 3. that proves my point. it's easy to find a great small players. if there is a real good center, then take him.

the problem is nowaday it's hard to find a real good center, so you have no choice but pick one of those small players. if there is a one, believe or not i will take him.

18. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

there's a lot more great perimeter players than great post players.

duncan, yao and howard are on the top of the list for interior players, while on the perimeter you have kobe, t-mac, lebron, wade, VC, pierce, allen....etc

point is there are plenty more good perimeter players than interior players.

19. rockets34

rockets34 Member

I think Tim Duncan is without a doubt the most overrated player in NBA history. Sure he has won, but he has been consistently been set up for success from day 1 in the league in the form of coaching, teammates, system, etc. Can any of you argue convincingly that if him and KG switched careers from day 1 that the Spurs would be any less successful? He is just another 20-10 player who happened to be in the right place at the right time. God i hate him, he is such a homo.

20. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

well we can put tmac in kobe's place and maybe history will be re-written and tmac will be called the best player in the L and people on here will clamor to trade for him.

look bro, it is what it is. u get put into a good position and u strive.

nash wasn't this great until he went to the suns. he's not lucky to play w/ all those athletes in phoenix.

players need great systems to excel in.

tmac and yao will excel this yr w/ the depth they have and they will eventually be called winners. when they do, they will get that #1 rankings we all want.