1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steak

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hoopstar, Sep 19, 2007.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yeah, but v&a and pappa's are traditional steakhouses... mark's and america's are not.

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so go with prime or choice...i dont live in texas, but i think i know a place i can buy either of those two at around me. i'll look into it. thanks

3. Asian Sensation

I am gorging on a 20oz bone in Ribeye cooked to perfection. It feels like I died and went to heaven with each bite I take.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Exactly. And they still arent better then Americas or Marks.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Y'all just made me do it.....

Stopped off at Randall's on the way home yesterday....got a 1.2 lb bone-in NY strip, a couple of lamb chops and a couple of ears of corn, plus a sixer of St. Pauli Girl. Seasoned the steak & chops with Mrs. Dash garlic spice and black pepper. Grilled them on my gas grill with a little hickory wood, and heartily enjoyed dinner and beer while watching Texas A&M come to the realization that there is a substantial difference between the University of Miami and the University of Louisiana-Monroe. :D

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, after reading this thread, I'm going to Outback* tonight and getting the biggest ribeye they have.

I'll have to try the pad of butter next time I grill out. Never thought of that.

BTW, Vic and Anthony's is the best steak I've ever had. Sullivans is a close 2nd.

*Leave me alone, steak-snobs.... it's the only place that's on the way to the Woodland Pavillion.

7. SWTsig

flemings and kirby's are both within a 1/4 mile from the pavilion.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Yeah, there are a ton of great restaurants in The Woodlands.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I know, but we're on a tight schedule. And we're meeting the people we're riding with there.

TRANSLATION: I can drink as much as I want tonight and don't have to drive. :)

10. Fatty FatBastard

Porterhouse at a good steakhouse is roughly $40. So about $25/person.

I know y'all can dish out another $10 for one evening to try it. :p

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I think Salt Grass is pretty decent and just down the street.

That's one thing about the NW side. It continues to put up good places to eat. I didn't say totally awesome, but pretty good.

I'll have to grab a steak this weekend.

Any good affordable reputable places in Austin?

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You know who has good steak?

Ryan's

There, I said it...F*CK the steak snobs! True, it may not be Vick & Anthony's, but 10 bucks for all you can eat steak is about as good a deal as you can get.

13. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Ray's, Sullivan's and Austin Land & Cattle are all pretty good.

14. ahp007007

ahp007007 New Member

For those of you that season with salt, try mixing 4 parts salt 1 part sugar. This gets you a beautiful char that adds a lot. It does not taste like sugar.

Trust me. It is great.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I have trouble finding prime from groceries in Arizona. Have to go to upscale stores$$$. Does Costco really carry prime?

The steak "experts" definetly insist on Kosher salt (larger pieces for taste but not to not dry it out), but the suggestion last page for longer use of salt (semi-aged) so the juices suck back in sound worth trying. I'll also try butter on with bacon around the edges on a fillet (but would do neither on a naturally fattier ribeye).

Nobody mentioned it, but Hatch green chilies layered on top is excellent. For me, Kosher salt, pepper, and Hatch chilies layed on top, perfecto. There, my main contribution. Def. no garlic--which isn't friendly to my stomach.

Also, I use a gas grill (have natural gas line to my grill), but I'll add soaked mesquite chips 5 minutes before grilling to add moisture and smoke (and I keep the grill closed). Can rub an onion on the grill rack just prior so the steak doesn't stick.

Superhot, 3-5 minutes a side, should be fine. Or for a super thick, superhot, flip after 3 per side, and then maybe 10 minutes (flipping) at low-medium temp.

16. SWTsig

i've also made delicious steaks (ribeyes once again) by topping them w/ a dijon mustard, roasted garlic, thyme, and parmesan paste after searing them but before finishing them in the oven.

17. updawg

updawg Member

Ray's is gone isn't it. That was my favorite

18. Asian Sensation

I completely forgot about the hatch green chilies. You grill those along with the steak till its nearly burnt and gut out the seeds and layer it on top of the steak right? Heaven!

19. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Is it gone? That's a shame, I moved out of Austin in 2003, so I haven't had steak in Austin in a long time.

20. Fatty FatBastard

Believe it or not, The County Line has one of the best Prime Ribs I've ever had.