1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Sep 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. drich

drich Member

SILLY RABBIT TRICKS ARE FOR KIDS

2. drich

drich Member

best one yet LOL

3. ReeferAlston

ReeferAlston Member

rafer alston is the real deal. :p

4. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Yeah he aint the playmaker Steve Nash is, and he isnt the scorer Gilbert Arenas is, but he managed to rack up a majority of the teams mins on a 50 win team. His stats per 48 are decent. With the Rockets having Yao and Mcgrady taking most of the shots, all we need is a guy that can set them up, and Rafer does a pretty good job at that. He also managed to play major mins on one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. He's not horrible. HE's not who I want starting. But he does play efficent, besides the shooting woes. My 15 man roster.

PG James, Alston, Brooks
    SG Mcgrady, Francis, Head
    SF Battier,Wells, Snyder
    PF Scola, Hayes, Novak
    C Yao, Mutombo, Butler

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His competition at PG consisted of two non-NBA level players. I can't believe there are still Rafer believers out there.

6. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

when is the deadline to cut team to 15?

7. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

Yeah, sure, he's a nice guy who allegedly slashed someone's throat... whether he did or didn't is all but irrelevant because nice guys don't put themselves in situations like that.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Stop defending this scum. He has been arrested bfore these two incidents and the fact that he is anywhere near a situation like that proves he is just stupid. Rafer dropped a dumbell on a junior college teamte's balls while he was sleeping. Skip is definitely not a nice guy. he has no place on this team. He very well may be a mediocre-adaquate BACKUP pg, but there is no point keeping him on the team when there are 2-3 point guards with more basketball skill than him.

9. minis9

minis9 Member

aren't some of you being a little harsh?
    Rafer actually has a decent 3 point shot, look how many he made last season, at a respectable percentage.
    Also his passing is quite good, whenever we had chances of fast break, the receiver often didn't even have to break stride.
    I admit i get upset with his little tear drops that never drops in.....but now we have other scorers to do the penetrating.
    If Head isn't gonna get much playing time this season as many predicted, then where is our 3 pointers gonna come from if we get rid of rafer too? SF3 is no better shooter, MJ/t-mac is about par as rafer.....brooks is unproven yet....novak or yao?
    Alston is also one of the leaders in steals, and he strips balls right out of opposing PG's hands.....

All i am saying is he is not completely useless, and actually does some job better than others on the team. So given that we are a deeper team than last year, coach A can just let rafer do what he does best, and not to worry about what he cannot do.

if a rookie like me can see all these, what'bout the rest of you guys out there with thousands of posts?? Or am I just not making any sense? :)

10. AGBee

AGBee Member

I think Rafer is here to stay until sometime in 2008. Just too hard to move him right now.

11. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Since the Bucks lost Charlie Bell to Miami, they are lacking legit PGs. (Only one I found was Mo Williams) So..

BUCKS:

Incoming Players
    John Lucas
    5-11 PG from Oklahoma State
    3.3 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.7 apg in 8.2 minutes

Kirk Snyder
    6-6 SG from Nevada-Reno
    4.9 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.0 apg in 14.4 minutes

Bob Sura
    6-5 from Florida State
    No games yet played in 2006/07

Rafer Alston
    6-2 PG from Frenso State
    13.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.4 apg in 37.0 minutes

Outgoing Players
    Bobby Simmons
    6-6 from DePaul

Houston Trade Breakdown

Change in Team Outlook: -21.5 ppg, -6.3 rpg, and -7.1 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Bobby Simmons
    6-6 from DePaul
    Outgoing Players
    John Lucas
    5-11 PG from Oklahoma State
    3.3 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.7 apg in 8.2 minutes
    Kirk Snyder
    6-6 SG from Nevada-Reno
    4.9 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.0 apg in 14.4 minutes
    Bob Sura
    6-5 from Florida State
    Rafer Alston
    6-2 PG from Frenso State
    13.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.4 apg in 37.0 minutes

Rockets are taking a slight risk on Simmons since he is coming off an injury season, but they clear up the PG glut. One bad thing is that his contract is pretty horrific! (3 years, around 9-10 million per season)

Bucks get depth at PG with a back PG and 3rd String PG.

12. Earlee11

Earlee11 Member

if traveling and carrying the ball was allowed in the NBA rafer would be the sh*t.... but ITS NOT!
    get rid of his A$$! :D

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If he could be given away for a conditional swap of 2nd rounders with the resultant cap space it would be a coup.

It's going to take either a(n unfortunate) injury to a '1' or receiving an equal or worse contract in exchange. Offer him for Toine Walker and watch Riles jump. Offer him for Hedo and maybe O - hlando jumps. Offer him for cap space and nobody raises an eyebrowm. It's not a reflection on his talent, just Reality 101.'07.

14. redao

redao Member

The Utah series already told us that Rafer was not enough for Yao & TMAC.

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

So I take it you have never gone out to a night club?

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Other than T-Mac, I think Rafer was the second best at creating his own shot last year. Problem was, he couldn't make the shot.

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I personally do not give a lot of validity to the "true pg" defense of Rafer. Lets examine this.

McGrady did 90 percent of the "playmaking"
    Rafer simply had to get the ball upcourt
    Rafer did not drive and dish
    Rafer did not paralyze defenses with his ability to fake penetration and pull up
    Rafer could not hit the backside of a universe sized barn
    Rafer is a poor defender who masks this a bit with a decent steal quota.
    Rafer cannot be counted on.

I will be ok with him playing 15 minutes a game, but neither Francis nor James nor Brooks have to be a true PG to be more effective than Rafer for this team. That would be the same in Jeff Van Gundys offense, or Rick Adelman, hence VG wanting Steve back.

I think Francis is going to be great this year myself.
    However, I think that in this league, you should be able to get something of marginal value for Alston, so I could see holding on to him.

18. redao

redao Member

Yup.
    We have to give Rafer his credit for being able to create his own BRICKS and also convert wide-open shots at 37% acuracy. ;)

If that is what a true PG doing, .....I'd rather have a fake PG, a shoot first one.

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

If Rafer could shoot 40%+ 3pointers for a whole season and ~43-45% overall, he'd actually be a pretty darn good point guard, too bad he struggles to hit 35 and 40%...

20. liangqj

liangqj Member

Rafer,he will be out of our sight.
    Please cherish the time with Rafer.
    When someone mention about you,I immediately remember your worst shoot under wide-open.
    Do you want to say:"No one defense me,I can't score" :eek: