1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Could Be the Best Rockets Training Camp EVER!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Sep 15, 2007.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't know about the rest of you (check that, I DO know about the rest of you), but I'm getting pretty psyched about the Rockets' upcoming training camp, set to open on October 1.

With a new coach, a new GM and a high roster turnover this summer, there are going to be more position battles this October than in any training camp in recent memory. Other than Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming and Shane Battier, whose roles are pretty well set, there is no sure thing for any of the players on this roster. With the Rockets' talent level at perhaps an all-time high, the competition for those ~6 remaining rotation spots should be fierce. To new a few:

POINT GUARD: Steve Francis vs. Mike James vs. Rafer Alston vs. Aaron Brooks. Any one of these guys could be playing major minutes for the Rockets this season. Obviously, Francis will have to play his way OUT of Coach Adelman's favor in order to not be part of the rotation. Given his past Franchise Player status and the fact that many Houston fans still love him, Francis should be almost guaranteed either a starting spot or a major role off the bench. (I can see it now, the coaches and Morey will have to pull out the "We'll-Make-You-a-Shoe-in-For-Sixth-Man-of-the-Year" argument to get him to accept that role.) Mike James has a lot to prove this year. He probably has the best combination of offense and defense of any of the players mentioned above. James can take his opponent off the dribble (although not as well as a healthy Francis), can shoot the three and can defend opposing PGs fairly well (remember, he was essentially the "Ryan Bowen" of the champion Pistons team in 2004, coming in for spot minutes to put the defensive clamps on opposing PGs). If Francis ends up with the starting PG role, James would be the obvious choice to be the backup. He can score and create his own shot, so working with the second unit should suit him well. People forget that Rafer Alston led the Rockets in minutes played, mostly by necessity. While Alston does not possess the scoring ability of Francis or James, he is easily the most steady ballhandler on the team. If he is not traded before October 30 (his three years, ~$15M remaining on his contract, while not unreasonable, is not going to entice too many suitors), Rafer will either be the starting PG or will not be in the rotation. He could still be useful in a pinch, though, as a reliable ballhandler off the bench when teams are pressing. Aaron Brooks is an exciting rookie with a possibly bright future. However, he is not ready to be a rotation player on a top-flight NBA team at this point. His experience playing with the U.S. Select Team should be helpful, though. If Alston is no longer on the team by the end of February, or if there is an injury to one of the other PGs, Brooks might be ready to step in towards the end of the year. As an aside, Luther Head should not be playing any minutes at PG. John Lucas III will either be traded or waived by October 1. Bob Sura will likely be waived on October 30 (the only reason this has not happened already is to keep the Rockets' trade options open).

BACKUP SHOOTING GUARD: Steve Francis vs. Bonzi Wells vs. Luther Head vs. Kirk Snyder. As mentioned above, Francis has likely be all but guaranteed playing time. Much of that time will come at SG, either as McGrady's primary backup or sliding over from PG when McGrady or Battier takes a seat. Bonzi Wells has lost a ton of weight and is highly motivated to perform and get a nice big contract next summer. Even with the lost weight, Wells will likely spend most of his time playing SF minutes behind Battier. Luther Head had a great regular season (playoffs, not so much) and should figure heavily in the battle for SG minutes. Head should again be one of the top three-point shooters in the league IF he can play enough to qualify. Snyder, who possesses freakish athleticism and should benefit from a more open offense under Adelman, unfortunately is just not as good as the other options. If Bonzi performs as expected, Snyder will not be getting much playing time and might be a prime trade target.

BACKUP SMALL FORWARD: Bonzi Wells vs. Justin Reed vs. Kirk Snyder. The backup small forward will actually be Tracy McGrady, who will slide over there from SG when Battier sits. However, Bonzi figures to be prominent in the SF rotation. Justin Reed, who is likely being shopped by Rockets management, could still carve out a nice role on the team as the spot-minute player just outside the regular rotation, a la Ryan Bowen. Snyder could potentially play the same role, although he might not be as mentally tough to once again accept getting only 5 to 10 minutes of PT in a given week. Given the team's glut of players (and, more importantly, guaranteed contracts), Mike Harris and his non-guaranteed deal will have trouble making the team.

POWER FORWARD: Chuck Hayes vs. Luis Scola vs. Steve Novak vs. Carl Landry? Chuck Hayes filled in admirably last season as a defensive stalwart and fifth starter. Given the success that the Rafer-McGrady-Battier-Hayes-Yao lineup last season, Adelman will have to think long and hard before relegating Hayes to the bench. A good complement to Yao as a tough rebounder and active defender, Chuck figures to contribute solid minutes, either as the fifth starter again or as a key reserve. Scola is coming in as the MVP of both the Spanish League and the FIBA Americas Tournament. A versatile PF who can hit the midrange jumper and move without the ball, he is also a potentially good complement to Yao. The real task for Scola will be to stay out of foul trouble, since NBA referees don't allow as much rough play as FIBA refs do. If Luis can't show that he can stay on the floor, he may have to come off the bench for a while. Novak is an enigma. He could either flourish as a shooter off the bench for Adelman, coming off screens, knocking down long jumpers. Or he could flop and be out of the league by the end of October. Carl Landry, who has yet to sign a contract, possesses an intriguing combination of offensive skill and defensive toughness. If his contract status can be resolved, and if some other players are moved or waived, Landry could find his way into regular minutes by the end of the seasaon.

BACKUP CENTER: Dikembe Mutombo vs. Jackie Butler. Getting Deke back for one more year was yet another coup for Daryl Morey. Mutombo should once again figure to provide a much needed defense, rebounding and shot-blocking presence. However, Deke has trouble matching up against faster-paced teams. Butler may be able to help in this area. While he is also a bigger guy (he's not exactly the Tyson Chandler type), he should be able to run the floor and grab a few rebounds. People around the league know this kid has talent. It's just a matter of whether he can put it all together. Also, plan on seeing either Hayes or Scola getting some minutes behind Yao.

Okay, I'm tired of typing. Should be great. Talk amongst yourselves.

2. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Here's what I'm looking for:

- Bonzi coming to camp in shape. This is a big deal. If Bonzi does well, it could multiply. He understands Adelman's style, he likes Adelman, he's alread ysucceeded in Adelman's system, and he's in a contract year. Even JVG said this guy is smart and a quick learner. Although it was a poor season, I'm sure he picked up some of his teammates habits, some of his coach's defensive lessons and has a step up in terms of learning the new offense. Could end up being the 3rd biggest contributor on the team.

- Aaron Brooks. I think he'll surprise us all. Unfortunately, there are so many PG's on this team, he may get lost in the fold. Still, he came in, showed us he can play in the summer league, then went off to summer team practices. He got a decent review as well, apparently picking up lessons from Kobe, Kidd and the rest of the experienced guards. I'm really excited by his potential.

- Yao. We say he's the constant, but that's not true. I can't wait to see Adelman explore his range and passing ability. When was the last time there was a guy in the league with an awesome post game, a good mid range game, who could block shots, rebound and pass well? Can Adelman bring back that eye for passing which JVG had to supress?

- T-Mac. Will he lead the league in scoring?

- How good will we be defensively?

There's just so much to look forward to. Can't wait.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post.

4. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

MJ/SF3/AB
    T-Mac/Bonzi/Luther
    Shane/Kirk/Mike Harris
    Scola/Chuck/Novak
    Yao/Deke/Butler

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

i'm excited to, and besides the obivious questions (rotations, starting linups, pg situation) here are specific questions that i've been wondering.

-are we keeping john lucas to help brooks?
    -is tmac gonna be the passing tmac?
    -will yao be as dominant as he was the beginning of last season?
    -are we gonna run isolations or other plays specifialy for francis?
    -was francis free throw percentage last season a fluke?
    -how motivated is bonzi?
    -what does butler or justin reed bring?
    -how fast will brooks and scola translate to the NBA
    -will novak or landry be the next peja and brad miller? (kind of)
    -wat happens to luther and snyder?
    -will hayes still be important to our team?

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Good post, although don't underestimate Kirk Snyder who unlike Luther Head flourishes while attacking the basket and it looks as though Adelman places a very high value on that.

7. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I am so pumped for Rockets season.

I cant wait for my tickets to come. I cant wait for all the Rocket season previews. I cant wait to see the Toyota Center rocking on the first nite. I cant wait to see the Rowdies loud and proud.

Our boys are going to be good.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree that Battier's role is set. McGrady plays better at (and I think prefers) the 3. So if Wells is like he was basically any time prior to last year, he could be the starting 2 (where he prefers to play). Then TMac is at the 3 with Battier playing backup anywhere from 2-4.

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

why do people keep mentioning Reed. Wasn't he cut before this thread

10. playlife

playlife Member

no he hasn't been cut.............yet

11. tomato

tomato Member

Excited all over again, cause seeing this reminds me how STACKED this team is. S T A C K E D. I can't even imagine it, I just need to see it happen on the court. We have five players that can go for 20 any conceivable night, and at least one who will every single night. And those five aren't all starters, they're so deep!

Later that night tomato died and never got a chance to see the new Rockets in action.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

plz no rafer kthxbye.

13. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

it's the other way around, mcgrady prefers to play the 2. i don't know why though since he can't take advantage of his height advantage and post up successfully on smaller defenders like derek fisher.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I can't wait for the Mike-James-wearing-the-"I'm Mike James B*tch"-t-shirt bobblehead night. PLEEEEEEEEASE tell me they'll have one!

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I just don't see Battier not starting. He is the Rockets' best defensive player. He is one of the team's best three-point shooters. He has proven to be willing to subjugate his game for the good of the team. He makes plays without having to touch the ball. THAT is the profile of a player who should be starting next to McGrady and Yao. No other player on the roster fits this profile.

People forget that Battier is also very good at moving without the ball on offense. He is not just a spot-up shooter. He should get some move layups on cuts to the basket this year. Plus, I don't want T-Mac having to guard the opponent's best wing player. Even a slimmed-down Bonzi is not the greatest perimeter defender.

Plus, let's not forget that the Rockets have been promoting THREE guys as the faces of the franchise: Yao, McGrady and Shane.

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

you can just judge luther's driving ability. jvg offense was luther to just go through the baseline (without the ball) and waite around the 3 point line. also, adelman also likes shooters. look at mike bibby and peja.

17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

see the 03-04 lakers, and 03-04 mavs.

[​IMG]

18. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

We're all excited for sure but I'm just worried about chemisty problems about PG spot.Francis and James ego is enough.
    Bonzi too.

19. conquistador#11

they will be opening camp in austin, right? Can't wait, I'm sure there will be tons of "sightings"! :)

20. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

No he has not been cut. Daryl Morey in his interview in Beijing said the news that he was waived was not true. He is still with the roster and will be invited to the training camp.

Daryl Morey said he had headaches now in trying to slim down the roster. :D