1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Landry, Rockets at odds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Sep 13, 2007.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

Carl Landry gotta eat.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

He's not complaining about 450k being too little. It's how much of that total is guaranteed. The Rockets could be offering a Mike Harris type deal just in case they can't move any other players before the season starts.

Didn't someone who attended the SL say Morey was disappointed at Landry's showing there?

3. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I would say that Morey probably is, if anything. If Landry did come to terms with the Rockets at all, he'll probably end up having to battle it out with Jackie Butler for a roster spot.

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

From all I heard, he sucked in summer league, while Brooks shined. What a comparison, but only a few pics apart.

I'm not sure why we passed on Glen Davis, Josh McRoberts, Gabe Pruitt, Nick Fazekas, Sun Yue, Derrick Byars, Jared Jordan, Marc Gasol and Taureen Green to take Landry. Landry seems like a dufus out there, as well as in interviews.

I hated the Landry pick, but, I'm really loving the Brooks pick now.

Of course, I still don't know why we didn't buy a pick earlier and pick up Bellineli, Crittendon and/or Fernandez ... even Splitter, but I'm glad we got Brooks. It looks like Landry was a waste of money and a good pick.

I believe we could have gotten Brooks at #31, and traded our earlier pick with some cash and/or future picks to pick higher.

... but, we always seem to get lucky in trades or players that fall in our laps.

The only reason we picked Brooks, was because Adelman had his eye on him. I believe our scouting has sucked for years, and Landry is probably evidence of that continuing.

#24 Sherlock, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  5. JamesC

JamesC Member

I wasnt thrilled about the Landry pick either but I'd much rather have him over McRoberts or Fazekas.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Another reason to just let him go. Novak over Landry by a mile.

7. holysilence

holysilence Member

That's so sad. When ROX drafted him, we did not have Scola to fill the starting 4 and we did not have Mutombo to play 1 more year so that Hayes did not have to play 5 (which means he just gona take all the time left by Scola).
    I watch all the summer league game and I love this kid, not much, but yes. Although Mike Harris had a better performance at number and altitude, he is more capable of being a part in a complex offence system(set screen, pick & roll, cut) . Sure he is not a Chuck Hayes type guy, but come on, do we really need another one?

8. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Admit,Carl is a good baller but we just have problem.WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE.Sorry Landry.
    Probably this will happen with Mike Harris :(

9. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Dominic McGuire is my pick for steal of the Second Round.

10. Coca Cola Scola

Dam. Who's Arlondo Tucker's agent? The Suns were already strapped for cash and he managed to squeeze that fat contract out of them?
    I wasn't thrilled about the Landry pick either, but who knows how he'll turn out. I wished we had pulled the Portland move and just bought the 24 pick. As far as picking Splitter, I wonder if the Spurs would have traded us Scola if they didn't get Splitter.

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I liked what i saw in the summer league game. on offense he(landry) is pretty much superior to hayes in every aspect on offense. he also seemed to have a nice mid-range game.i'll be very dissapointed if we dont retain him.

I think in 3 years time he could be a very solid role player. but unfortunately for him the problem is we have way to many bodies and not enough roster spots. I know most of the time it's a nice luxtuary to have,as they say you cant have too much talent, but it's fast becoming a headache now.

This is gonna be one of the most competitive Pre-season camps every.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

His poor summer league is why the Rockets are lowballing him and I don't blame them. He disappointed me a lot and getting Scola makes Landry expendable.

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

You are right! That was exceptionally fair for someone who seat out for the whole season in the bench and play just on the garbage time.

14. today

today Contributing Member

Come on, it's the kid's first contract... At least give him the average of what picks #32-35 got.

15. abundance

abundance Member

You hit the nail on the head. If it weren't for the Spanoulis trade(a 0 players for 2 players), we would have 2 extra roster spots. If Morey tells Landry to go the NBDL, we still lose a roster spot if he signs. If Landry goes to NBDL on his own, it's one more roster spot that we can use.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Landry plays in the US this year for a team other than the Rocekts, doesn't he become a free agent again?

His spot is taken, he just ran into a numbers game, and hardly looked good in the summer leagues.

I think whomever said they are trying to force him into Europe is right, that way they retain his rights.

DD

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I still think Landry has what it takes to play in the NBA, but I do think he would benefit from a year either in the Euroleague or the Dleague. What we saw in the summer league was not all that the kid can do. He can contribute, but with the roster the way it is right now, there isn't space for him to contribute this year.

My thought is he needs a new agent. This guy is speaking out to the press against the team that really wants him for their future instead of keeping it quiet and getting the job done.

Morey doesn't seem like the type of guy to cave under "media" pressure, so exactly what benefit is there for his agent to talk to them about the contract.

Seems this is a rookie agent mistake imho http://www.hoopshype.com/agents/buddy_baker.htm doesn't seem like the guy has a lot of NBA players represented... which may be part of the problem. And look at his website... "Who says there's no I in team?" http://www.imsportsservices.com/ Not exactly the type of guy I want trying to get me work.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can believe it, but it's not very likely.

Detroit, Phoenix, and San Antonio were all reported to be heavily interested in Brooks.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We should have drafted McRoberts or Fazekas rather than Landry. Also, we should have let Hayes establish his worth in the free market. The chances are strong that Hayes would have had no other offers, and we would have had more roster flexibility.

IMO Landry was a huge mistake in the first place. It's too bad we don't have Carroll Dawson any more. We will see Landry disappear into the sunset while we watch Fazekas, McRoberts and even Glenn Davis have productive careers.

20. ham

ham Member

Are you serious? The Rockets' getting Hayes to sign that new contract wsa like stealing him all over again. And "It's too bad we don't have Carroll Dawson anymore"? You do realize that the main reason this is happening with Landry is that after Morey's brilliant offseason, he's simply not needed anymore.