1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mar1juana

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Clutch City1993, Aug 28, 2007.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Sheesh. No need to get defensive, again it's not an attack on pot smokers or anything. I'm just saying that it's not great logic to say weed is so much safer because there are fewer DUIs due to it. The same could be said for crack.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

im not saying its an attack just wondering what your reasoning is/was.

I could see how there would be a slight increase, but weed is so prominent as is and its so easily found i dont think the numbers would drastically increase because those same dumbasses that do smoke and drive will still be doing it.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

At some point in your life, you should prefer a state of consciousness that is derived from within yourself.

People who abuse chemicals, legal or illegal, are going to abuse them whether they are legal or illegal.

This thread provides anecdotal evidence that those who smoke will continue doing so, and those who don't, won't start simply because it is legal.

Legalize and regulate.

Take the distribution out of the hands of criminals, because the vast majority of users are not criminals.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i never know if you're kidding or not! :)

so i'll assume you're not....

because dealing with authorities over using illegal substances isn't "good for you."

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i just heard about this yesterday. pretty big news which seems to have slipped under the radar. nice to see some common sense being applied, but i disagree w/ the measure also providing discretion when it comes to personal property damage or graffitti.

http://austinist.com/2007/08/28/texas_relaxes_w.php

Texas Relaxes Weed Law. Yes, Really.

In Texas, one arrest for possession of mar1juana costs the taxpayer $2,000, takes the police officer off the street for about three hours, and fills a space in an already overcrowded jail system for at least one night. However, once House Bill 2391 goes into effect on September 1st, you'll no longer get immediately carted off to jail—it's now up to the officer's discretion to cite individuals found in possession of four ounces (a quarter-pound) or less of mar1juana.

In Texas, mar1juana possession charges account for about 7% of all arrests. HB 2391 is estimated to save the state's five largest cities over $1 million per year.

Published as a money-saving effort more than anything else, HB 2391 doesn't just cover mar1juana—it essentially leaves the door wide open for all sorts of drunken fun, lightening the load on several other misdemeanor offenses like driving with an invalid license, leaving graffiti, and indulging in criminal mischief where the damage is less than $500.

In a state where 5% of the adult population is under some sort of criminal justice supervision, many are hailing this as a step toward concentrating on more serious offenses, making some room in Texas prisons and taking the strain off the boys in blue. Surprisingly enough, this bill was unanimously voted through the Texas legislature (authored by a Republican, Jerry Madden), signed by Governor Rick Perry (back on June 15), and backed by almost all major police forces in the state.

Word of advice: if you're going to San Antonio, you might want to leave your stash at home, as they're not keen on observing this new law.

For more on the official bill, take a long draw of that hash pipe and click here.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I like it. If I had to pick one or the other, I'd pick mar1juana over drinking.

I play poker a few times a week at a bar on the westside. There are about 20-25 people who are regulars there, ranging in age from lower 20s to upper 60s with equal represenation in all decades. I'd estimate that 80% of them smoke with all the ages being represented. I knew a lot of people you'd never expect partook, but it really blew my mind. We go to break and there's a stampede for the parking lot. It's hilarious. Makes poker easier too. :p

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't know about that. I used to toke all teh time back in the day. Basically a 4-6 year period from 10th grade through college. Good schools, good job now, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah.

But I barely ever smoke anymore. Primarily because I'm not in the habit of keeping contacts with drug dealers anymore...nor is the group of people I spend time with.

If I could go into a store and buy some mar1juana smokes, I'd likely do so more often. but it would still be relatively sporadic. even more, if you coudl legally grow and smoke your own pot, or your friends pot, I'd definitely do that.

just saying, I do think there would be an increase in pot smokers if legalized. probably not significantly, though.

8. Showtizzle2642

I second that...

I hope one morning i can just wake up and find out mary j had been legalized... i would go to starbucks get a coffee and sit outside and toke and enjoy life in the fullest form....

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I hope the same thing, but at age 46, I'm afraid that when legalization finally occurs, the only way I'll be able to celebrate is by drooling on myself and taking a crap in my Depends undergarments while sitting in my wheelchair at the old folk's home. :(

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/CMAG/938-022~mar1juana-Posters.jpg

:D

all that is needed now is an andymoon appearance to make this thread complete.

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYn5hxeFt10"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYn5hxeFt10" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ryLqfNwSSFE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ryLqfNwSSFE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Has andymoon been banned? :eek: :confused:

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHPnpWc2SE4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHPnpWc2SE4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The only police discretion is whether to arrest on the spot or issue a citation instead. There is no discretion in eliminating the legal consequence of being caught.

When you show up for your citation, you will still get the same charges as if you had been booked in the first place.

Regardless, it is better than being hauled to jail and appears to be a good step.

Much like a speeding ticket. Ignore it at your own risk.

16. jo mama

my dad started again at 55 after not indulging for about 30 years so there is hope for you yet!

17. jo mama

despite that, i think its a pretty big deal. issuing someone a ticket and letting them go on their way makes alot more sense than taking them to jail.

18. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Yet people have a hard time accepting that, as a concealed handgun license holder, I should be able to own and carry a firearm on my side.

19. Enron

Enron Member

Pretty interesting about that bill, I think it is a good step towards decriminalization but sounds like it will need to be supported by local police to be fully enforced. Kind of funny Lampson didn't bring it up either in his letter the guy wrote to him on the last page on here.
    I doubt many cops will even know about it. The town I live in busts people all the time for really small amounts and in some cases for seeds and stems. I wish they would spend more time busting highschool kids for prescription medication, its a real problem around here that gets overlooked.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hi weird tangent...nice to meet you.