1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros fire Garner and Purpura... Cecil Cooper named Interim Manager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mattj, Aug 27, 2007.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Prediction: Cecil Cooper will do well, and will be have the interim tag taken off his job title during the offseason.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I agree with you. I don't understand making this move before the season is over. I guess Drayton is trying to change his image as a lackey when it comes to making managerial moves.

3. ¿TRNT?

¿TRNT? Member

Yippee! Now here's to crossing your fingers that Drayton puts a competent person at GM.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jimy's problem was that often he WOULDN'T play the percentages, and when he didn't, wouldn't even begin to discuss why not. "Manager's Decision" is not a reason for doing something.

5. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

And if you are Garner, you insert a .177 hitter every day. Genius!

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Poor Timmy. I have a feeling he's going to be having nightmares for the rest of his life about the Jennings trade that cost him his dream job.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The Astros have BLACK manager! :eek:

8. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Wasn't Mark Cuban wanting to become a MLB GM? :D

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

He destroyed the Detroit Tigers, making them cellar dwellers for 10 years until Dave Dombrowski resurrected the franchise two years ago.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Thanks Drayton.

11. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

about time.
    good luck CCCooper!

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

gracias

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Shouldn't be too surprising. McLane hired the first black GM (Bob Watson) in baseball history.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Who was pretty darn good. Think the Astros can pull him back out of the MLB front office?

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

:confused: the season's been over for at least a month.

16. Ankich

Ankich Member

Hire Paul DePodesta!

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If Cecil doesn't pan out, go give Joe Girardi a call. (although I'm not sure how Girardi would handle a veteran squad as opposed to the young team he had in Florida)

Oh yeah - Morey for GM. After all he's the guy who said baseball could be run by a computer. Morey get that computer up and running.

18. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Pretty shocked by the move. I know it's been a terrible season, but 2005 World Series honeymoon sure was short for both of these guys. Timmy P was way over his head from the start. I have mixed feelings on Garner, though. He never seemed like a great in-game manager, but he wasn't as bad as people have made him out to be, either. He was pretty stuck with a bad roster this year (Jennings and Woody instead of Clemens or Pettitte) and some of the key cogs underachieved badly (Ensberg & Berkman). I guess it's probably best for him to go too, but he was less culpable than Timmy P and Drayton himself. Sad thing is that neither move will be able to salvage this season or next. :(

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

he has tickets to sell. which is not a knock; this will generate interest in a going-nowhere team. he can't keep honoring bagwell and biggio every weekend.

it also gives them an opportunity to evaluate cecil while guys they trust such as biggio and ausmus are still here. and i don't think it made the decision for him, but, as i've stated, drayton most definitely heard the boos yesterday for purpura and, i'm sure, took note of the 1,000s of people who left once the ceremony was over (self included).

20. Ankich

Ankich Member

DePodesta is a moneyball guy, so he'd be big on computers. The worst thing Drayton could do is hire a big-name "gut instinct" GM like Steve Phillips, or a Purpura-esque empty suit with connections like Randy Smith.