1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

jvg thoughts on spanoulis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Aug 24, 2007.

1. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

jvg is gone so this is a useless debate. were just going in circles. \

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Is anyone watching usa vs. brazil??

Walton just said, "The turning point last year for the usa team was when Vasillis Spanoullis just torched them in the semifinals last year. They realized they need strong and better players to be able to handle international talent like that." (not exact quote, but something along those lines)

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

yeah...i say lets forget van gumby and My Big Fat Greek Divorce...and look for a title in 08.

4. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Isn't Stromile Swift doghouse material for any NBA head coach? :( For the most part, he has been one of the biggest busts in the league so far this decade. I was just simply relieved to see him and his big contract get traded away, even if it meant trading away a first round draft pick (Rudy Gay) with him. Afterall, trading him away was addition by subtraction for the Rockets, but getting Shane Battier in return only made the deal even sweeter. :D

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That is a misconception, he actually had a decent contract, it was only an MLE, which is not so much

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agreed, Van Gundy should not have done that. I admit the guilt of getting a laugh from the content but I dont justify him doing that to his player.

Understandable where Spanoulis is coming from but same criteria applies to him though, shoulda himself solved his issues like a man - go to the coach and management instead of media.

Spanoulis wanted more minutes but he partly threw the coach and management under the bus to explain his side (talking about promises they made, they dont understand me and such)... Management was probably as upset as Van Gundy for him doing that. Just cuz he happened to be "right" and he's speaking the facts doesnt automatically exempt him. Other guys riding the pine didnt do that, not even Bonzi.

JVG gets a 10 out out 10 for inappropriateness. I'm just saying V-Span gets at least a 6 and not a free pass. His 6 brought on JVG's 10.

Cool, now I understand. And agree

Its up for individual interpretation by whoever watched it all...some say Bonzi didnt make an impact and was a minus-player when he did pay. Some will say Van Gundy held him back. Some say Bonzi should have made a case for himself being in shape. Some will point out Bonzi's several injuries. Some say they were phantom injuries. Some say the big money he missed out on was a de-motivator...its tough to say.

I thought he did fit the system as a 2nd unit guy but his "I didnt come to run a marathon, I came to play basketball" comment probably summarized it best.

Well said.

I do think many teams have a system in place (Utah, Golden State, Phoenix) and its up to management and the coach to work together for the right blend of players. When management says "Here's you a player, make it fit" thats either management getting players cuz its the thing to do, or if it doesnt work with the players the system itself comes into question. Or its showing they dont have confidence in the coach's talent evaluation. 2 out of 3 those seemed to be the case, which is why Adelman is in now.

It wasnt clear at first, so naturally I'm gonna indicate instances if the point didnt come across (the point of there being an overall conspiracy instead of regular dislike). I very much know the difference, but sometimes its confused and blended in as one in the same here. Needed the extra assuredness for people that its "Van Gundy didnt like Spanoulis JUST BECAUSE" rather than "Van Gundy hates all Euros"

Now its clear. Thanks

Yes, question and answers for understanding really can work in this forum, people. Acknowledge.​

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

He was and is. Except that was the first time Stromile went to another playing environment and it was thought by most that we'd see the real Stromile potential realized. People still wanted him to play more than he did under Van Gundy cuz the season sucked and wanted something to root for - Could even be argued thats when fans got tired of Van Gundy's politicing and playing favorites. Stromile came in to start, yet there was Juwan night in night out.

So whats this got to do with Spanoulis? WHO CARES.
    We got Scola, Battier and Adelman, instead of Spanoulis, Stromile, and Van Gundy....

Aint THAT a sigh of relief :D

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Umm its Bill Walton. He has to be one of the worst basketball announcers of all time. He rather spend time talking about little tidbits that the actual game itself. The only thing good about him is that he once use to be a stoner.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, what does he know, he is only an NBA hall of famer.

:rolleyes:

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If a coach's system allows a player to dribble the ball off his foot, dribble his ball off his knee, throw passes to the other team, blow layups, play the same man defense that a fence post would play, and not rotate at all, that coach does not need to be coaching in the NBA.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The point about Walton is you have to discern how serious he is being. He says stuff during games like, "That was the greatest pass in the history of organized basketball". He takes hyperbole to extremes, so you generally do have to take a lot of what Walton says with a grain of salt.

12. ¿TRNT?

¿TRNT? Member

What does being an NBA hall of famer have to do with being a good analyst or bad evaluater of players/teams? You can't be good at one and bad at another? Bill Walton was one of the best on the court but off the court he like Clyde have their heads in the clouds when it comes to analyzing a player/team.

I wouldn't be boasting anything Walton has to say about Spanoulis, he is the same person who said that Phoenix was a better defensive team than Houston last year. Similar to Clyde as an analyst, he makes some of the most ridiculous statements.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

LOL, and this is coming from a guy who thinks he knows more than an proven and well respected NBA coach. So what if Bill Walton is a NBA HOFer. Just because he's in the hall of fame, that doesn't make him a great basketball analyst. He's in there for his basketball accomplishments, not for what he says. Pippen is a future HOFer and he completely sucked behind the mic.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D

nice

His delusions continue to amaze me as well. Its a shame he isnt as commited to something actually worth the time and arguing. If he used the same fanaticism to cure cancer, it would have been done yesterday.

If you are relying on Bill Walton to prove a point for you...you are in trouble. (in my best bill impression) He is the absolute worst basketball analyst in the history of civilization. :D

He didnt give himself a chance to play and ultimately, at the end of the season when he WAS getting a chance, HE quit. And vspan doesnt fit in any NBA system until he gets better

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe if we keep posting this enough, it will sink in.
    Bonus points for My Big Fat Greek Divorce (Threads).
    Nice one!

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not everyone is right all the time, it is all subjective. And I think both JVG and Walton know basketball. And they both have different opinions...just like this board.

But.....what is really important......is that we move on from the family fued of last year.

DD

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think he ever said "international talent like that."

Walton didn't say anything that isn't already well established. Spanoulis had a great game against the US, and that showed the US team needed to significantly improve its perimeter defense. That doesn't change what we all observed last season with V-Span.

#177 durvasa, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  18. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

As a duel citizen I can say I went into the game not sure who I wanted to win but the second it started I wanted Hellas to win and I was 100% behind them the entire game.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow, 9 pages and 2 1/2 days. Such a long thread. Everybody is hooked on BBallScientist's idiocy and nobody even asked the right question:

Why did denniscd start a thread like this?

20. zong

zong Member

He does not like VSpan or loves JVG too much.

Why did denniscd start a thread like this?[/QUOTE]