1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[610 Conjecture/Source] Juwon back to the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Aug 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. hooroo

hooroo Member

I usually check out SI, Hoopshype, and USAtoday (USAtoday don't have 2007/8 numbers up yet). If going by those they'd suggest the RealGM number is a typo, ie should be 47 instead of 57. As that figure would put it in the same ballpark as the rest.

2. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

I must be missing something. How is Juwan cursed? How do you even tell that someone is cursed?

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Howard for 10 mintues a game is just smart.

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Personally i believe howard can be a pretty good role player under adelman. however i'm not all that convinced about this story.

5. Ashes

Ashes Member

No thanks.

6. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Jazz interested in Howard? Probably not!

article link

Ask the expert: How about Howard or Pietrus in Utah?
    By Steve Luhm
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 08/24/2007 07:47:38 PM MDT

Posted: 7:49 PM- "Juwan Howard is asking for a trade. Should the Jazz be interested? Is he too old and expensive? The Jazz have some extra pieces -- younger players and expiring contracts -- they might want to get rid of. Is there a fit?" - J.R. Stewart

Howard averaged 9.7 points and 5.9 rebounds last season -- nice numbers considering his opportunities were limited because of the presence of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. He also played in 80 games, which speaks to Howard's durability and willingness to play with minor bumps and bruises.
    That said, Howard will be 35 in February, struggled against the Jazz in the playoffs and was traded by Houston to Minnesota for journeyman point guard Mike James and a throw-in. I know the Rockets desperately need better point guard play, but the price tag for Howard seems low to me, perhaps because the Rockets saw a decline in his game.
    Off the floor, Howard is due $6.9 million this season and owns a player option for $7.4 million next season. That's over $14 million for a guy who would back-up big-minute starters Carlos Boozer and Memo Okur.
    All things considered, I'd pass.

7. wingz0

wingz0 Member

People are saying Juwan is cursed because wherever he goes, his teams have historically either stunk it up, or underperformed. Happened in Washington, happened in Denver. Who can forget that the Magic were an overachieving team for 3 years, only to suddenly fishtail into a 20-62 record or something the year they brought Juwan Howard in as a legit "2nd scorer" for McGrady? And of course, in Houston, blowing a huge 2-0 lead against Dallas, followed by the freak injuries the following year, and then underperforming this year.

Disappointments follow the man like the plague. Of course, for each of these cases, there are legit reasons for the failures of each team, but you just can't help but wonder, why is it that this man has been that unlucky wherever he goes?

That's why he's cursed.

I ain't no religious or superstitious nut, but even I find it uncanny. Although technically, he'd be a great piece to have for the vet's minimum, I would rather the Rockets just be superstitious this once and not go back to Juwan.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Rafer + Reed + JL3 = Howard. Cut Sura. You can even throw in Novak if you want for a 4-for-1 and it still works.

Change in Team Outlook: -9.5 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and -4.9 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Juwan Howard
    6-9 PF from Michigan
    9.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.6 apg in 26.6 minutes

Outgoing Players
    John Lucas
    5-11 PG from Oklahoma State
    3.3 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.7 apg in 8.2 minutes
    Justin Reed
    6-8 SF from Mississippi
    2.6 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 0.4 apg in 7.8 minutes
    Rafer Alston
    6-2 PG from Frenso State
    13.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.4 apg in 37.0 minutes

9. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

And this is an undesirable thing? Howard is not an enforcer, but he plays hard and will mix it up if guys rough up Yao or Mac. He's one of the few guys on our team who might punch an opposing player during a game.

It has come up a thousand times but the Rockets need toughness. Juwon gives you a dose of toughness and provides leadership. I'm still undecided about getting him back but on the cheap his production was decent last year. We really need more speed and the knock on Juwon is he's not very mobile compared to the younge guys he might replace.

10. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

This is called a Weisbrod tactic!. When we reacquired Francis for nothing it was said that he was Weisbroded back to the Rockets! :D :D

Now we may Weisbrod Juwon back and get the Wolves to pay his salary.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Also known as contract laundering.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

They just go into a few tussels here and there....but weren't enforcers....

Enforcers - Charles Oakley, Anthony Mason, Almost everybody that played with Pistons from 88-91, Bruce Bowen, J.R. Ried, and etc.

13. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

If I was Juwon I might look to Cleveland or Boston before the Rockets. He would fit in well in Boston and get playing time on what should be an exciting team in an excited city.

14. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

why would he want to go to a sorry azz weak team in the east? if boston was in west, they would just barely make the playoffs at best.

15. qiankun

qiankun Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, Juwan didn't play in the dallas series. He must have cursed the whole team by just watching :rolleyes:

16. eedgejr

eedgejr Contributing Member

They have Millsap who was awesome when Boozer went down. Why would an atheletic team take on a Dinosaur?

17. abundance

abundance Member

That's what I ask myself, when I think about the Jazz and Fisher. The questions is even more confusing, now that Fisher is gone and Howard is the dinosaur.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

If he is cheap then bring him back. Why wouldn't you want a 10/6 guy if he comes over for next to nothing?

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah...but I don't think it's any room for him. Plus our team is better anyway.

Yao-C
    Scola-PF
    Battier-SF
    McGrady-SG
    Francis-PG

James-SG/PG
    Hayes-PF
    Wells-SG/SF
    Alston-PG
    Brooks-PG
    Mutombo-C
    -----------Landry, Head, Butler, or etc.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

if juwan is bought it by the wolves i wouldnt mind him back on the team as a backup PF/C playing around 10-15 a night. the guy was huge when yao went out. But i can see him signing the min with boston if that happens. They have a better chance of making it far being in the east. heck maybe even detroit playing closer to home for him.

and for the record i dont believe in "player curses" i think part of the reason why the teams juwan were on did not do "well" was probably because of his huge contract restricted teams getting other above-average talent. sign for the vet min and not an issue

but how crazy would that be...we trade them juwan for mike james, then they buy out juwan and we resign him for the vet min...basically got mike james for free then since i think juwan's old contract would equal james + the vet min. would be funny and continue the trend of getting back former rockets instead of OLD knicks