1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets did not improve? excerpt from RealGM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jgreen91, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

http://spurs.realgm.com/articles/65/20070820/spurs_still_lead_race.._by_far/

The Rockets also got better, but they added veterans when what they needed was a tremendous dose of youth and quickness.

Mike James? Steve Francis? Standing by perennial malcontent Bonzi Wells to take more distraction and responsibility away from Yao and Tracy McGrady?

The moves to acquire Luis Scola, Aaron Brooks, and Jackie Butler were sound, positive moves to add youth and energy around an aging core.

Houston needs a leader and an identity in the worst way. McGrady and Yao have proved they’re anything but leadership quality. While remarkable talents, neither of them have yet to prove capable of taking over when it matters.

The Rockets are hoping something can be salvaged of James and Francis, both of whom provide a nice sense of nostalgia but whose best years are buried deep within the past.

Entering the offseason, Houston needed depth at point guard behind starter Rafer Alston, a starting power forward, and athletic depth at all spots.

Today? There is still no depth behind Alston (anyone who considers Francis and James as players who aren’t anything more than undersized scorers are kidding themselves), the Rockets still have not legit starting forward, and the only athletic talents (Brooks and Butler) won’t see the light of day because they’re not ready to contribute significantly this year.

Realistically, the Rockets are probably good enough for a 52-win this year. And that’s precisely how many wins they compiled last year.

What’s worse? They’re still not better than the Spurs, Mavs, Jazz, and Suns.

It’s always an interesting watch, this NBA offseason.

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I understand the point, but I think we did get better with Scola and Brooks, and its quite possible that Francis, James and Wells will contribute in veteran ways that help us now, not just down the road. That's worth the risk.

Besides, we didn't have chits to trade for improvement. We got a lot out of a little, and still have some pieces to possibly pick up a more valuable piece (Sura, Alston, Snyder, JL3, Head, Novak, Landry, Reed, Butler, picks, etc.).

We also addressed the issue of depth, which made it difficult on Yao and TMac, and with everything not having to go through TMac, he should play better.

At the time of the draft, I sure wanted better players, but dang, Brooks is knocking everyone's socks off, and getting some incredible experience this summer.

I love hearing that Kidd, Williams, Kobe, James, and Redd can't stop Brooks. That's rather amazing, people ... he might be able to help us sooner, rather than later.

And, Yao will improve, as well as Novak, Snyder, Head and Hayes ... so, I think the team is better by that fact alone, with no notable losses besides Howard, who was on his last legs. But, if Francis, James, Wells, or Brooks catch fire in some way, we're a lot better.

I would like to see another move, though, to consolidate the roster, somehow turning 7 players into 2 we can use more effectively.

(there has got to be a way to seduce the Petries into trading us Artest ... dang ... give them some pics and cash to go along with the players they want ... like if they trade Bibby, send them Alston/Snyder/Sura/Reed/#1 pic/3 mil cash for Artest/Thomas ... now that would be risky, again, but the upside potential of bettering our team would be significant.)

#2 Sherlock, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Speculation is fine and dandy, but I hate these kinds of arguments.

We'll see come November.

I think he's completely, horribly wrong.

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

^^^
    To add to that, the most obvious reason why he's wrong is because he said we needed "depth behind Alston"... No, we needed to get an actual starting PG, and put Alston on the bench or out of the rotation, where he belongs..

5. OrangeCountyCA

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i dont know how that can add more talent, and i will give him its older, and not get 52 wins.

his points about PG depth isnt a great point. Having MJ as a backup point is lightyears ahead of luther or lucas.

He makes a decent point about PF, since they are relying on relatively unproven people outside of chuck and butler.

the story is over-exaggerated to say the least

7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

The spurs have more older washed up vets than we do and they contribute pretty nicely. Barry, Finley, Vaughn, I would take our three question mark vets over theirs especially at this point in their careers. Of course I would love to have Barry though. I don't think Mike James or Wells are even close to wearing down, Francis may be the only one who is wearing down.

This is just a Spurs homer writing this "article" and they are scared of the Rockets so they try to use their perceived weakness against them. Either way we have more talent than ever before and if healthy 52 wins will be a breeze since if Yao would not have been injured we could have easily hit 60 or more. Pretty ridiculous logic that the team will be worse or barely as good as last year. Talent alone can get you really far in this league and it's not like the players on our team are absolute thugs like the Trailblazers. With all their problems they were able to get pretty far in the playoffs.

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

i do like rox chances, depth is gain at the PG with MJ, AB and SF3.

And scola do looks nice in those international games.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I agree, it just undervaules quite a few of the Rockets off seasons moves. The PF spot is probably the biggest ? mark because Scola is unproven as of yet but I think him and Chuck will fill the spot nicely

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

That's a pretty one sided argument, though I agree that youth and athleticism are important, you also have to argue that the Spurs aren't all young and athletic either.

10 of the players currently on their roster for the 07-08 season are 30 or older. Doesn't say young to me.

The Rockets roster (without Deke) only has 4 players 30 or over.

Which team is young and athletic?

The one thing I do agree with, is we still need a leader for this team. I hope that someone shows themselves to be the leader early in the season.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You didn't post the author of the article, and you didn't need to. I didn't even have to click on the link to know -- it's Dennis Silva, aka Rockets111.

Looks like he has a much more serious problem admitting he was wrong than I anticipated.

The funny part is reading that even if in some remote universe Rafer Alston was the best option on the squad that there is NO DEPTH behind him now. Steve Francis, Mike James and Aaron Brooks = no depth.

Crack is getting smoked, folks.

12. ham

ham Member

Yeah. Anyway, what's with the idea that a team needs "youth" to win more games? How often do you hear a coach say, "Well, we had the advantage in shooting, rebounding, defense, dribble penetration, post offense, and hustle, but we were just unable to compete with their excellent youth tonight"?

13. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I don't mind the 52 win season. I think this team was put together because of our lack of depth in the playoffs last year. This year it should be different. We can take teams to game 7 without tiring out our superstars. This team is built for the playoffs not the regular season.

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Signed ....

John Lopez

15. BBall Scientist

WTF?

PG Alston/Lucas
    SG McGrady/Head
    SF Battier and McGrady
    PF Hayes/Howard
    C Yao/Mutombo

That's basically the team that Van Gundy used all year even when Yao was out he added no one. It was like pulling teeth to even get anyone else PT.

Now you have Adelman who doesn't have that same philosophy (for example already says Bonzi will play, said he would have given Spanoulis PT, etc.)

Adelman has in the past used a 10 man rotation if the depth warranted it.

Now they have added so many better players:

PG Francis/James
    SG McGrady/Head
    SF Battier/Wells
    PF Scola/Hayes
    C Yao/Mutombo

So they actually think this:

PG Alston/Lucas
    SG McGrady/Head
    SF Battier and McGrady
    PF Hayes/Howard
    C Yao/Mutombo

is as good as this?

PG Francis/James
    SG McGrady/Head
    SF Battier/Wells
    PF Scola/Hayes
    C Yao/Mutombo

LMAO, man those Spurs fans are awfully arrogant after that last championship. The Rockets made huge improvements, anyone denying that is simply not paying attention. Not to mention the offense will be leaps better with Adelman.

And to all the "the defense will suffer" arguments, Adelman has consistently had top 5 ranked teams on DEFENSE even top 3, even #1 in the whole league one year.

The Rockets are much stronger right now.

16. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

we are much younger compared to recent years, and hopefully now that JVG is no longer here we won't bring in anymore players on social security.

SF, MJ, and Bonzi are not old as a matter f fact they have been resting in the last 2 years.

17. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

This guy's an idiot. He said the only athletic talents are Brooks and Butler. Huh? You may have other criticisms about McGrady, Francis, Wells, or even James, but I don't anyone would say they're not athletic.

Sure, youth is important for the long term, but this guy seems to think it's an end in itself. We didn't have a whole lot of money to spend going into the season and we did a great job with what we had.

It's not clear we will need the same type of traditional point guard in Adleman's system, but even if we did, we still have a number of assets that can be used in a trade to acquire one. I personally think AB is pretty close to being able to take over point guard duties already. Even if you buy his argument that we should leave Alston as the starter and focus on getting a backup for him, he's crazy if he thinks the trio of Brooks, James, and Francis aren't capable of backing up Alston.

Thanks for posting the article, but this guy's arguments just don't make any sense.

18. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

i hate predictions theres no point...ill just ignore that guys statements on the Rockets...

Rockets are going to take the nba by storm this year not a prediction its a fact ;)

19. AXG

AXG Member

This guy raves about youth and athleticism, then praises the Spurs who are probably the oldest and least athletic team in the league. The Rockets have made improvements by adding youth, championship experience, and athleticism this offesason, as well as a fresh coach who will make the offense run smoothly. I agree the Rockets are still behind the Spurs, because until someone dethrones them they're still the champions. At least now, the Rockets have added pieces to challenge the elite teams in the West and contend for the Championship.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

idiot.

i have no problem people saying we're not in the spurs' or suns, or even mavs' league (yet), but to say that we haven't improved this team, not even by one game, is asinine. yao being healthy by itself would improve our win column by at least a handful... but with the additions of scola, brooks, francis, james, butler, and wells (for all intents and purposes), this guy doesn't see us winning not even one more game than we did last year???

idiot.