1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scientists expect to create life in next 10 years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ottomaton, Aug 20, 2007.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

If they would just walk out of the laboratory and let it alone it will happen all by itself in about 1 billion years. :D

2. ham

ham Member

I agree, it isn't even on the horizon. I think that in order for this to “remove one of the few fundamental mysteries about creation in the universe and our role” (my emphasis), as the guy in the article says, it would need to at least approach the topic. I suppose that, to me, exactly which assortment of organic chemicals came first is extremely interesting, but it isn't "a fundamental mystery". The one "fundamental mystery" that comes to mind for me when I read what Bedau says is the issue of consiousness. I wasn't saying that they won't learn a lot from this work.

Again, I don't disagree that such discoveries would have huge implications. I'm just skeptical that those implications will reach into the kinds of issues that Bedau seemed to be suggesting they would.

Will these discoveries answer scientific questions? Yes. Will they have philosophical (or, for some, theological) implications? I doubt it.

3. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

The fear of creating zombies or delight in creating Brittany Spears for sale is silly.

Pushing the research envelope is generally a good thing. However, the fear is in creating a microbe that that escapes into the sea, earth or air and gets out of our control.

4. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Perhaps consciousness is an illusion, and we are really just a very complicated robot - no more then a set of learned behaviors with a douse of randomness thrown in.

5. ham

ham Member

Of course, if consciousness is an illusion, you have to wonder- who is it that's being fooled?

Or did I just blow your mind?

[​IMG]

6. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The illusion is that everything is an conceptual idea. Everything that has a name or term has it's root in conceptual thinking. Consciousness exists, but nothing exists apart from consciousness.

More like a douse of free will.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think, therefore I am. Or I could be in the Matrix.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

It's going to be a war I am sure.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

[​IMG]
    Yes, work on the anti-life equation is progressing nicely.
    [​IMG]
    Don't forget the staggering potential of artificial intelligence though.

#29 StupidMoniker, Aug 21, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  10. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Britney Spears and Kevin Federline can create life... It's not hard...

I want a car that can fly, **** man!!!

In the Back to the Future sequel they were flying cars in the year 2015.

11. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

What scientists may create has nothing to do with consciousness or thought. If a virus or slightly more complex microbe is created and escapes into the environment, it could conceivably do untold damage, directly or indirectly -- to any or all current flora and fauna -- which includes us.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The question of consciousness is interesting but I think we are mistaking the creation of an artificial biological cell with creating consciousness. Its possible if AI is perfected we could create a purely artificial consciousness.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Lousy no edit.. :mad:

I should add we could create a purely inorganic consciousness.

14. ham

ham Member

Of course, there's no way of knowing if you've actually created something truly conscious.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That's true but how do we know anything or anyone is ever truly conscious.

16. ham

ham Member

I know that I'm conscious. As for any other person/thing, I can never be sure.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

CHUD.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals.

Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area.

There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus.

Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Or have alien matter land on the planet, its organic matter enter into our environment where it can mutate rapidly, and see it evolve in front of our very eyes
    [​IMG]

20. WildSweet&Cool

To contain the newly created life for observation, and to see how it evolves, scientists intend to inject the life forms into an isolated environment. This environment is distant planet called Earth.