1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggio and Bagwell

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mack, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

A local (College Station) radio station had an interview with respected baseball writer Bill James. The host (Louie Belina) asked him which active baseball players would rank amongst the all-time greats. He ranked Barry Bonds and Rickey Henderson 3 and 4 amongst left fielders, Mark McGwire 4th amongst first basemen. Interestingly, he mentioned that he was a big Biggio and Bagwell fan, and ranked them 6th and 8th all-time at their respective positions! In particular, he mentioned Biggio as one of his favorite baseball players, giving the reason as something like this: "He affects the game, as a singles hitter, as much as a home-run hitter does.":eek:

Pretty cool interview.

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Would McGwire, Henderson, and Bonds be sure HOF ballot entrees? ...Further would Biggio and Bagwell be? I personally think Biggio is the only name on the bubble here.

3. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Why would Bagwel not be on the bubble? If he doesn't win a single post-season series I don't think he gets in.

4. deepellumrocket

You know, I don't think that is nearly the prerequisite you are making it out to be. His career numbers overwhelm his and his teams failures in the postseason. The Hall of Fame honors individuals for their greatness, not necessarily the greatness of their teams. Also, I'm sure there are quite a few members of the Hall of Fame who never won a postseason series because up until the 60s, there was only one round of playoffs, and that was the World Series, which more often than not was won by the Yankees. I wouldn't put much stock in Bagwell's performance in 15 or more (assuming future playoff appearances) games outweighing his performance in thousands of regular season games.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think Bond's playoff numbers will keep him from the HOF. I know Ted William's playoff numbers didn't keep him out. Same standard should be applied to Bagwell, the most complete all around first baseman in the game for the last 10 years.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Bagwell is a lock even if he quit today. By the end of his career his numbers will only be rivaled by one first baseman named Gherig. and he may surpass him too. This is like the old Nolan Ryan debate. Everyone was sure he wouldn't get in, but if you just look at the number's, you knew he would be a lock.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The HOF and its voters are definitely numbers-driven. Which is why Bagwell will be a lock, and Biggio is unlikely to make it. If he could get close to 3,000 hits he'd be in, but I don't see it happening for him.

8. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

After checking the numbers, I take what I said back. I thought they were good, they're great! For those like me who never bothered to look them up.

career avg -303
    h r -349
    rbi -1223
    compare those to other great first baseman and you get an idea of just how impressive they are

big mac Willie Stargell Rod Carew Lou Gherig(jesus)
    avg-263 282 328 340
    h r -583 475 92 493
    rbi -1414 1540 1015 1995

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yes but Bagwell's numbers are inflated.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Bagwell will quite probably end up with the 2nd best overall first baseman numbers when he is done playing. He should have over 500 HRs, 1700 RBIs, a .300 average and a boatload of walks.

Of course, Helton will probably surpass those numbers if he continues to play in Colorado.

11. bobrek

How so? He'd already be near or over 400 HRs if he didn't spend a number of seasons at the Dome.

12. deepellumrocket

I hope you are being facetious. bobrek is right, but honestly, this statement doesn't even merit a response.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

true dat. I think he has an even distribution of HR's at home and away. And his game hasn't really sweetened since playing at Enron. He's pretty much been the same player no matter where he plays.

In My opinion, Biggio was the best second baseman of his era. Maybe even the best lead off man. That would put him in the HOF, but the numbers just aren't there. Nor do they look like they'll be there. If he gets to 3,000 I'd put him in, but I'd have to say he probably won't make it. There' nothing supporting him when people have long forgotten how he played.

#13 PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 13, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2001
  14. TheFreak

Not inflated for playing at Enron, inflated for playing in the 90s and now. Just like everyone else.

15. deepellumrocket

Yeah, I see your point. I don't think Mark McGwire or Barry Bonds deserve the HOF either, now.

That was sarcasm, in case you missed it.

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

So were the batters in the 30's, and the pitchers in the early 60's.

17. TheFreak

I would put Bonds in because he does a lot more than just jack home runs. But I believe McGwire was hitting them before the balls became juiced, so I have no problem with him getting in...your call.

Okay.

18. Colby

Colby Member

For those that don't think Biggio should get in, name a better NL 2b since Sandberg. Alamar comes to mind in the AL. He is getting ready to collect 3000.

Hmmm, best 2b of his generation.

19. bobrek

Unfortunately the HOF voters don't go by who was the best at their position during a given period of time. In the past decade, Biggio and Alomar have been far and away the best second basemen, but that doesn't assure that either will be elected. Biggio can solidfy his support with a couple more quality seasons before he retires.

20. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

More Bill James on Biggio:

The best active player in baseball at the turn of the decade? Craig Biggio. As only he can, James systematically proves that the Astros second baseman does so many things well other than hit home runs that he has consistently outplayed even Ken Griffey Jr. at his peak. And as only he can, James shows little patience with any detractors: "Craig Biggio is better. The fact that nobody seems to realize this ... well, that's not my problem."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2001/1114/1277966.html