1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOAT Starters

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by YaoFanatic, Jul 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

That's like when someone says, "You the man!"

It's bad form to agree with him, even though (in my case, as well as Magic's) it is true. So you say, "No, you the man!"

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Magic is just being nice to the guy who broke his record. Stockton couldn't touch Magic as a player. I happen to think a lot of other PGs were/are better in their prime as well (Zeke, GP, Nash, Kidd--to name a few, West and Robertson for sure if you consider them PGs), but I realize that is a debate after Magic and Stockton can be in the mix.

3. d.wang

d.wang Member

PG Patrick Stewart
    SG Guy from Reading Rainbow
    SF Spock
    PF Worf
    C Captain Kirk

4. d.wang

d.wang Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aomCvEBBHR0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aomCvEBBHR0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

5. LCII

LCII Member

For me it'll be:

C
    PF Tim Duncan
    SF
    SG Michael Jordan
    PG

No one else....... for C, SF, PG...since there are just too many great players at that position (although you could argue that the SF GOAT is Larry Bird)

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

You unquestionably put Duncan at 4 but didn't put Magic at 1? Curious.

7. LCII

LCII Member

There are many great PGs, not just Magic Johnson. Magic Johnson was a jack of all trades, but he certainly had rivals at the PG position. Get ur facts straight

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Unless you consider Robertson or West PGs, there is no debate. Magic is unquestionably the best PG from the 80s on, a whole level caliber of player better than Isiah, Stockton, Payton, Kidd, Nash, each of whom you could argue for #2.

9. YaoFanatic

YaoFanatic Member

I'm afraid positions 1,2,3 are pretty much set in stone. There's no justifying Stockton over Magic. Whether it be stats, skills, size, championships, personality, whatever, it's all Magic. Sure Stockton has him beat in the one AST category. But Magic's got everything else on him-- PTS, 3PT, REB, STLS, BLKS. If this were fantasy hoops Magic would be #1 and Stockton would be ranked in the 50s. So it's the 2 MJ's and Bird, by a longshot (pun intended).

Position 5 is a battle between the big 5 -- Wilt,Kareem, Russell,Shaq, Hakeem, ranked in that order. No one else is close to these guys.

Position 4 is the only true tossup. I'm sticking with my original and oh so popular pick of Karl Malone, but I think when it's all done, Duncan and/or KG may surpass him.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Really excellent analysis if you stick to formal positions, I could only have minor quibbles, I think you have the big picture down.

11. what

what Member

Explain what Jordan has that Oscar Doesn't.

12. YaoFanatic

YaoFanatic Member

BPE. Best Player Ever. That good enough an explanation for you? :cool: Can someone make a poll or something??

13. what

what Member

Empirical evidence would be nice.

14. The Ming Dynasty

Based on the fact that I never saw Wilt, Russell, Oscar, West, Cousey, Havlicek, etc. play other than in replays, I'd have to say...

C - Moses Malone (the best rebounder without a doubt I've ever seen including Rodman)
    PF - Dream
    SF- Bird
    SG- Jordan
    PG - Magic

...but again that is based on players I've actually seen play, so take it with a grain of salt.

15. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

I agree with the previous poster, no one ever saw Wilt or Russell play in person--anyone who says they did is most likely lying. So, the list should start with the Magic/Bird era. The 1970's don't count--the Dark Ages of the NBA. I believe this team would work the best together:

C Shaq/Olajuwon
    PF Duncan/Webber
    SF Pippen/Garnett
    SG Jordan/Kobe
    PG Magic/Stockton

Larry Bird was my favorite player growing up, but let's face it--he'd be too slow to play defensively at SF in this age, and not strong enough to play PF. I'd rather have Pippen or Garnett manning the 3 spot.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

"which one of these do not belong with the others"

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

#76 krnxsnoopy, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  17. Mr. Champagne

Mr. Champagne New Member

All time.....

Dream
    Duncan
    Bird
    Jordan
    Magic

Old Era....

Dream
    Barkley
    Bird
    Jordan
    Magic

Next Era......

Shaq
    Duncan
    Garnett
    Kobe
    Kidd

New Era.......

Yao
    Stoudamire
    Lebron
    Melo
    Wade

10 yrs from now ALL TIME....

Dream
    Duncan
    Lebron
    Jordan
    Magic

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What? Is that British comedy or something? I don't get it. Give me Japanese or Mexican game shows, that I can laugh at.

19. dsnow23

dsnow23 Member

PG- The Big O
    SG - His Airness
    SF - Larry Legend
    PF - The Big Fundamental
    C - The Dream

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

My first 5 would be:

C Wilt
    PF Dream
    SF Bird
    SG O. Robertson (he average a triple-double in the 61-62 season :eek: )
    PG Magic