1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

deke offered only veterans minimum

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Aug 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

i've said this before and i'll say this again. if mutumbo had played for yao in the playoffs we wouldve beaten the jazz.

2. Rover16

Rover16 Member

If deke wants too much money, then we just gotta let him walk. It's not a huge loss anyways.

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

It doesn't matter how many time you say it, it will never be correct! :p

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If Deke wants to maximize his chances for a ring, he would sign for SA or Phx. If we lost him and one of them gained him that would seriously lessen our chance of beatening them. Heck, Boston will have close to even odds as us, maybe better, if he switched squads.

Deke isn't a great player, but he still is a heck of a good 12-15 minute back-up center who impacts the game. He is Yao's ideal playoff back-up (of realistic back-up centers this side of Zo), and I hate to see him play for an opponent we might run into.

We are hoping he takes the vet min out of loyalty and an oustide chance for a ring, but we are not close to favorites for the title or anything. Split the difference and offer 1.5 mil, his tutulage of Butler alone might be worth that.

5. holysilence

holysilence Member

Is this familiar?
    Last year, David Wesley, require more, Rox pass, go another team......
    Emm....

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

that is different. wesley, we didnt need. he was old and useless. mutombo, is still a good defender and rebounder. wesly couldn't do the thing he was good at. and that was shoot. i don't even think we offer him a contract.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Let Mutombo sit out until December, allow him perks such as not traveling with the team on road games, then sign him to a prorated contract starting at 1.8 million which will be 1.2 million by the time he signs.

Vets minimum doesnt seem like such a slap in the face really, considering Mutombo's made bookoo bucks in his career and was at times OVERpaid. Don't want to look at it like he's just some ol' Charles Jones either though...but in the sports profession he's gotta understand its ALWAYS about finding younger players with potential to progress with...its not all about Deke.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would hate to see him with the Mavs or the Jazz. We need him back.

9. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Agreed. That's exactly what he's worth, and while I love Deke, I wouldn't mind seeing him go. I think Butler's a very intriguing prospect.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

He was invisible because JVG wouldn't play him. And for the person who said he's only a 10 mpg player, check out his stats and playing time when Yao went down. On the flip side, I can't believe that Deke would rather retire then take the veteran minimum for a championship contender.

11. RocksMillenium

And we said this before and we'll say it again, you're completely wrong. Yeah, lets start an offensively challenged center on a team that couldn't score in the playoffs. That's real smart. :rolleyes:

12. RocksMillenium

I like Dikembe but I don't see a huge shift in the balance of power if he went to San Antonio or Phoenix. And I like this current Rockets chances of a championship better then Phoenix's, with or without Mutombo.

13. amadeus

amadeus Member

Yes

He can play 10mins for us. He can play 15-20 mins for Spurs,mavs,or jazz AGAINST us too.

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Actually everytime moutombo was in there, we looked better. that dosent equate to him being better then yao, but it was all about matchups.

As for him coming back, he's gotta understand that at 41, he's gotta expect a paycut at this stage of he's Career.

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

This has gotta be one of the most incoherent ramblings I've read on this board.

Sorry, this is not about Yao, but logically how is it possible that "everytime moutombo was in there, we looked better" and then "it was all about matchups?" LOL

#155 wnes, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  16. abundance

abundance Member

Last year, Mutumbo was still more effective than Jackie Butler. This year, Mutombo will still be more effective than Butler, if he stays.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Considering State Income Tax...

TX $1.2m > MA $1.2m

18. yaominn

yaominn Member

if wells had played for tmac we would have won the titles, 3 times in a row.

19. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I am not saying he is a huge factor, but we are already playing catch up. Deke is better for 15 minutes than Oberto or Elson, and each of them are better than Butler. Deke would make them just a little bit extra tough. And he would be great with Phx. If nothing else at the end of games they would have somebody to provide a little resistence to TD/Yao in offense/defense substitutions.

I don't think many non Rocket fans would really say this.