1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[new album] Common-Finding Forever

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nice Rollin, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

download it before you buy it man...i always do that.

2. ChalupaSupreme

The best rappers are from Atlanta:

Lil John... etc.

:mad: + :D = [intense smiling]

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

As long as you dont say the best southern rappers are from atlanta because according to pimp c that would be wrong. Explanation being once you step off the plane in atlanta, what time is it? its an hr ahead and eastern standard time.

Yep, the resident PA legend doesnt know of parts of the country considered to be in the southeast and northwest etc.

4. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

Good album, but IMO, not a "classic". On the Source's rating system(Old school one BTW) I would give it 3.5 mics. Classic is a word that has gotten thrown out a little too much in the past decade. But I do applaud Common. The game needs more artists like him.

One thing I learned about being deep is it doesn't necessarily make you a good MC or rapper. We get so blinded by crap music that OK artists become gold in our eye.

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

common, nas, and talib kweli aren't muslim -- but i do agree that they are all good.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Speaking of rappers, I heard recently that Scarface converted to Islam.

As for Talib, I don't think he's religious at all but more of the 'spiritual' type; I heard that he might be a Sufi.

I have no idea about Common or Nas...

Anyways, I am big fan of Talib's lyrics. He's not really much of a musician, IMO, but more of a lyricist.

"People let me paint a picture
    You know I ain't a christian
    I ain't a muslim, ain't a jew
    I'm losing my religion
    I speak to god directly
    I know my god respect me
    Cause he let me breathe his air and he really blessed me"

-- Talib Kweli

Here's one of my favorite videos for him, and it lends more legitimacy to the claim that he isn't "religious" but more of the "spiritual" (i.e. Sufi) type:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sGvZ9aXg5Xs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sGvZ9aXg5Xs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is below Be. I should've just downloaded it...

8. The Drake

The Drake Member

I'd like to post a review, but I'm too focused on dogs and yoga right now. Sorry. ;)

But seriously, my first impression is that this album easily surperior to Be, even though I like Be a whole heck of a lot. I'll need a few more listens before I make the final verdict. Either way, a great album from start to finish.

9. Nice Rollin

DID YOU LISTEN TO THE WHOLE ALBUM?

10. God's Son

God's Son Member

yes they are common and nas are 5 percenters and talib is a sufi

11. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

No they aren't. a 5% also is not called a Muslim...People associate them with being Muslim but they are against most of those teachings. They might have studied the lessons but they aren't full blown Gods...

12. Nice Rollin

%5...that doesnt make them muslim man...

13. ameet14

ameet14 Member

Be was created more for mainstream purposes with catchy singles such as Go, The Corner, and Testify. I liked Be cause it was able to mix these with songs like Faithful or the Intro that carried a deep message and weren't just filler songs for an album

Finding Forever is just a more chill album overall. It mixed in a lot more Jazz and Soul music. I've listened to Finding Forever 6 or 7 times so far and have grown to like it alot. The added Jazz and variety of singers makes for a better album.

The only problem I have with it are the lyrics. I can't say I've paid attention to every song, but from driving to work and listening multiple times, I can't say the songs hit me the way "The Corner" or "Be(Intro)" or "Faithful" do. I haven't gone back to Be to compare, but I feel Common is using more references to pop culture in this album. I like references like that for rappers like Chamillionaire or Fabolous who use those all the time because they need to, but for Common, I feel he's selling himself short. He references N'Sync, OK Go, Nemo, some others too. I personally don't like that from him, so hearing references in the songs makes it immediately worse than Be for me.

Misunderstood and Forever Begins are my favorite tracks so far. I can see myself starting to warm to it more in the next few weeks, but i still don't see it being as good an album as Be.

14. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

If this album is classic then BE is the greatest album ever made. Finding forever is nowhere near as good as BE. Glad I didn't buy it and downloaded it for free. That being said, rap is so bad now that artists like common, nas, jay, X, talib, em, kanye's worse album would be 10 times better than the garbage out there.

15. Nice Rollin

you forgot about clipse...
    the common album is good...
    the new kanye mixtape is good

lupe is GREAT...

you can compare nas's new album with his old. of couse its gonna suck if you do that...god's son was a great album. that sucked compared to still and illmatic...hip hop is dead was a really good album

16. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

um BE is only what 2 yrs old. You said this album (Finding Forever) was an instant classic and IMO it is 3 out of 5 stars (5 being a classic). It has some nice jams and the production is great but his lyrics aren't on par with what he has delivered in the past. It has a nice old school feel to it and is enjoyable but not as good as BE but that is just my opinion.

17. God's Son

God's Son Member

lupe makes better mixtapes than albums but i think hes the best of all the black poets

18. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

What? Are you serious? Food and Liquor is the best album I've heard right next to Jay-Z - Blueprint and Nas - Illmatic. It is right there to me. However, as I've said earlier, everyone has their own opinion.

I have Lupe the Jedi and it's a good-great mixtape, but better than Food and Liquor? Not in the same league. His other mixtapes I can't speak to of course, but Food and Liquor is the best debut by an emcee since I've began listening to hip hop. It is seriously up there with Illmatic in my opinion. Perhaps, I haven't heard his best mixtapes, but there is nearly no way it can compete with Lupe's first album.

19. God's Son

God's Son Member

food and liquor is good but his mixtapes are great iam not hatin on lupe