1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[hoopsvibe]Sam Cassell’s Five Best NBA Trash Talkers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Jul 31, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/m...r-charles-barkley-michael-jordan-ar45031.html
    Monday Listed-Sam Cassell’s Five Best NBA Trash Talkers: Larry Bird, Gary Payton, Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley, & Michael Jordan

July 23 07

Recently, Steve Nash held his annual Charity Classic game in my hometown of Vancouver, British Columbia. After the event I caught up with veteran point guard Sam Cassell. Sam-I-am, one of the NBA’s most quotable and colorful players, listed off his five favorite NBA trash talkers of all-time.

HoopsVibe The Blog presents another edition of Monday Listed, featuring Sam Cassell’s five fiercest trash talkers.

Sam’s #5 Pick: Larry Bird
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1vHEWOqdyTg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1vHEWOqdyTg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Evidence of smack-talking abilities:

Sam’s #4 Pick: Gary Payton

Evidence of smack-talking abilities: As a rookie, Payton engaged in a trash-talking session with Michael Jordan at a Seattle nightclub. The Glove had guts.

Sam’s #3 Pick: Reggie Miller

Evidence of smack-talking abilities: Miller once went on national television and called Spike Lee, the Knicks, Madison Square Garden, and all of The Big Apple chokers.

Sam’s #2 Pick: Charles Barkley

Evidence of smack talking abilities:

* On one of Nate Robinson’s dunks during All Star weekend: "Any time a little midget does something like this, you gotta give him a 10!"

* Before his famous race against Dick Bavetta: "I have nothing against old people; I want to be one myself one day."

Sam’s #1 Pick: Michael Jordan

Evidence of smack talking abilities: Jordan transcended trash talking just like he transcended the game of basketball. He didn’t need to speak and could dog opponents with mere gestures. For example, there was the Jordan-tongue and his infamous shoulder shrug against Portland in the NBA Finals.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Barkley's greatest quote went something like this : "The only way you'll get Oliver Miller to dunk is if you put a Big Mac on the rim".

I think Reggie once said Jordan is the one person you did not want to trashtalk - you were messing with fire if you did.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Michael Jordan was such a trash talker, that Ron Arterst had to crack his ribs.

4. Pocket Rockets

i think maxwell should be in the top 5

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I don't consider death threats as trash talking. That man was just scary.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

i'm guessing Sam was talking about trash talking without using words that start with F! ;)

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Bird and Jordan weren't so much trash talkers as they were psych-out masters.

8. ChalupaSupreme

I remember when everyone here was talking about this:
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUy-A1BQAdI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUy-A1BQAdI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    I personally think that this coming from Yao would have to be considered one that's up there...

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree. Jordan and Bird (and to a lesser extent, Barkley) were talking trash because they sincerely thought they were the best player on the court at that moment. I was just sheer confidence. But with Miller and Payton, it was a true psych-out. It was part of their strategy. They both seemed to feed off of pissing of the other team, and took advantage of the confusion their mouths created.

Personally, I've never heard anyone talk trash as much (or as mean) as Gary Payton. I heard tell of players wanting to literally kill him after the game. "Meet me in the parking lot"-type stuff. I think it's the combination of his type of game (agressive defense) and his relatively small size (6' 4") made guys just want to smack him. And, lest we forget, he is 2nd all time when it comes to technical fouls. The man had a mean mouth.

10. BigAssBear

BigAssBear Member

I knew Gary was gonna be on the list somewhere. :D

11. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

That video always makes me smile. :p

12. tinman

Supporting Member

he's using those Maxwell words.

13. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Did Yao say: "You cannot ****ing stop me!" ?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

gary must have been talking trash that night when they got into a fight at the strip club

15. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

What the ***k do you think? :D

16. SupraJames

SupraJames Member

I think he said "You try & ****ing stop that"

17. pacertom

pacertom Member

I like the time at the all-star game where they were having the 3-point shoot-out and Bird walked onto the court and yelled "OK, which one of you ******* ******s is ready to finish second?"

And then he won it.

I guess by definition the best trash talkers back it up with some consistency.

18. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Definitely, : "You try and F***ing stop me!"

I Smiled as well!

19. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I can only imagine what other words Cuttino, SF3, Eddie Griffin and all the hooligans that were around taught to him when Yao was first learning English.

Barkley and Payton are my favorites. Personally, I hate Payton but he has never been afraid to spark a little fire under opponents, even the lord of lords MJ. We all wish Barkley would shut up now, but during his playing days, I loved his tenacity, and fearless competitiveness. Need I mention Barkley v. Shaq?

20. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

i remember seeing cuttino mobley do a high fly slam, then when he landed he yelled "YEAHH b****!", then of course they replayed it in slow mo like 5 times, so my 6 year old cousins decided to yell it every time they did something, like get out of a chair, open a door, etc..good times.