1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ktrk.com]Marvin Zindler passes away after battle with cancer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bobblehead, Jul 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Goodbye Marvin. RIP

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Question: On the recent news reports he did from the hospital he appeared quite strong and healthy. Does cancer suddenly turn you gravely ill over a period of just a few days?

3. ChalupaSupreme

I don't know much about cancer at all but I had an aunt who was diagnosed with cancer over a decade ago. Back then she just found out that she had cancer (couldn't be more than a couple of months) because she was very active and her body seems very lively. She even went to family weddings and other parties and was laughing and all over the place. Then the next thing I know I heard that she fell very ill and was at the hospital. She died a couple of days afterwards.

All of this happened within about a month or two at the most of her finding out about her cancer. I don't know if the cancer was at an advanced stage when she found out or it was just a very bad case. Or maybe it was just the technology back then? This was also in a third world country in southeast Asia, so that could play a factor.

I hope science's progress in the treatment/cure for cancer will increase faster since one of every four of us here will die from it (IIRC from my Bio teacher 3 years ago).

4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

No matter how old I got, watching Marvin made me feel like I was 5 again...watching the 10 o'clock news with my grandparents.

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I watched 13's whole tribute last night. The man cared so much for people who needed help. RIP.

6. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

I can answer this as my wife is a doctor and we have had this conversation before when I hesitated going in for a prostate exam. She read me the riot act.

You asked if cancer can turn you gravely ill suddenly. Yes it can. Once it metastases to your other essential organs it can cause singular or multiple organ failure at any given time. Which is probably what he passed away from (liver failure) due to that fact that it had spread to his liver.

With that said RIP Marvin. You will be missed greatly.

7. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

God Bless you Marvin.

RIP

8. Rulow00

Rulow00 Member

Thank you Marvin.

God Bless you

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

RIP...

No more slime in the ice machine...:(

10. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I met him many years ago when he came to a musical I was playing in. The whole cast was jacked up because he was there. He was a total ROCK STAR. We couldn't see anyone in the audience except him because of his white suit and pink tie. :D

RIP Marvin. You helped a lot of people.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

RIP Marvin, will always remember being a kid and watching him :(

13. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I have loved Marvin since I was at least four years old. I always use to repeat him after he said his famous sign offs. RIP Marvin.

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

When I interned at Channel 13 back in 1993, Marvin told me that if I wanted to be in the business, that I needed to be on "this side of the camera (in front of the camera) not that side" Shara Fryer looked at him, and then me, and said "thats Bulls%!t Marvin- don't tell him that. You do whatever you want to do" I was sooo shocked that Shara Fryer said "bulls%!t"

he was truly a nice guy. oh yeah..and he wore the shades because his eyes were very sensitive to the bright lights in the studio.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What used to crack me up about Marvin was how when he read the riot act to someone for doing somebody wrong or catching repeat violaters, he was pissed and just tore into them. I mean the dude sounded like he was going to go down and beat the hell out of somebody. Then he did his "good golf, good tennis, or whatever makes you happy" line, threw it back to Dave Ward. Dave would say something like Marvin had been nominated for some nice award or say something complimentary towards him and Marvin turned into this sheepish/shy person who could barely take the compliment.

I can't remember if it was Dave Ward who did this, but somebody kept cracking on Marvin because he could never say the word "temperature". He'd always pronounce it "tempatoor". Marvin just took it in stride and laughed at the joke and himself. I think another time Dave or someone said "how do you say that restaurant's name again, Marvin?" in response to Marvin butchering some Mexican restaurant name. Marvin just busted out laughing.

Celebrities I grew up watching have come and gone, but man, this guy going just hits home for some reason. I seriously feel bad about him being gone and I can't describe it. Maybe it had a lot to do with my dad and me sitting around watching Dave and Marvin all those years when I was a kid. Nowadays it's one big T&A session on these news stations unfortunately; and it's usually about some glorified news about nothing. Marvin helping out the needy and trying to pronounce Mexican restaurant names -- great memories. lol.

When Dave Ward goes, I'll feel the same way.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The two guys I remember from my year in Houston 95-96 were Marvin Zindler and Mattress Mac...I always thought Zindler was already like 90 and wouldn't make it that long anymore... RIP.

17. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

RIP Marvin.. grew up watching him!!

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Marvin Zindler was a true Houston icon. What's next-- the Astrodome? :(

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I was surprised Dave Ward kept his composure.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was at a breakfast wayne dolcefino spoke at. he was basically talking about what he did, and he said one night after he finished a story marvin told him he did that story twenty years ago. this was about 4 years ago and until then I had never realized zindler's impact on investigative journalism.