1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disney Land in Katy?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RAYRAY, Jul 27, 2007.

Tags:
  1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I first heard this rumor in 1985 in Highschool. I'll believe it when I see it.

2. htownzplaya03

htownzplaya03 Member

lmao i doubt that

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

actually december has become one of the busiest if not the busiest month of the year. even the first couple of weeks before schools traditionally let out.

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

That was 'funny'. Houston's hottest month (July) is only 2 degrees warmer than Orlando and Houston's avg high is 4 degrees cooler than Orlando, Houston gets 3 inches less rain per year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando,_Florida, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Houston) , 'desolate' is only applicable to West Texas, Texas' population is 24 million while Florida is 18 million, and as for leisure travel, Texas trails only Florida and California (which already have Disney parks) http://www.travel.state.tx.us/DocumentStore/Travel Trends Q1 2006 Web.pdf .

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I remember my dad telling me this a quarter century ago. Man I am old.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Really? When I was there (been a few years now) in the first week of december...the line for Space Mountain was 15 minutes.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I still occasionally talk to people who've never been to Houston and they ask me if we see a lot of tumbleweeds because of the desert-like conditions. LOL! I remember reading interviews with people during Super Bowl week who were surprised Houston was such a big city (not in size, but in numbers of people). Um, yeah, it's only the 4th largest city in America.

8. MadMax

yeah....december is packed. but even october is getting more and more crowded.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What do you do, pull your kids out of school? I take it spring break is not a good time to go either?

10. MadMax

i did this last october. my older boy was in first grade. we told the teacher we were taking a week's vacation. as they get older, obviously that becomes less likely.

spring break is really busy, yeah....UNLESS we end up having a different spring break than the schools on the east coast.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

A week of school? Wow. I guess if you don't want them to miss any school, you're pretty much screwed. I guess a day or two to miss wouldn't be too bad.

Which is worse, spring break or Christmas?

I remember going on spring break in Jr. High and I don't recall it being awful or anything.

12. MadMax

you're not really screwed. i'd just allow yourself more time. whether you go for spring break or for Christmas, you'll find the weather is fine...like it is here those times of the year.

better to go spring break, i think, but some would disagree. this is from a website that restates what disney communicates about times to visit. but i can tell you, what i hear from people who are going contradicts some of this. here it is, anyway:

http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/attend.htm

Disney states:

The Lowest Attendance --

January (except New Year's Day) until just prior to Presidents' Week in February

The week following Labor Day until the week prior to Thanksgiving

The week following Thanksgiving until mid-December
    More Moderate Attendance:
    After Presidents' week in February through early March
    Late April through early June (except Memorial Day weekend)
    Columbus Day Weekend (October)
    The first part of Thanksgiving week

Highest Attendance:
    Presidents' week in February
    Mid March through Late April ("Spring Break")
    Memorial Day weekend
    Mid June through Labor Day
    Thanksgiving Day and weekend
    Christmas week through New Year's Day

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

This would explain the expansion of the katy fwy, I mean other than the fact that Katy is the fastest growing suburb in houston...

Im affraid of rides anyway so this doesnt apply to me :cool:

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My Dad told me that this was a rumor from when they first moved to Houston in 1977.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Although LAX is far, you have John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana which is like 15 minutes from Disneyland. Thousands of tourists flock to LA anyway to see Hollywood, MGM, Santa Monica, etc, so going to Disneyland is part of a bigger vacation.

If you're banking on some Okies and some folks from Kansas to make Houston Disney a success, it will fail. It requires a mass exodus of tourists from all over willing to put up with a lot of high prices to have a good time. Houston just isn't a desirable vacation spot.

16. MadMax

1. neither was Orlando;

2. Houston isn't the destination.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But Orlando doesn't have any strip malls. Nor does Baqui99 inexplicably bash Orlando at every opportunity.

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Where did I bash Houston in this thread? I just mentioned that it's not a good tourist destination. Couple that with the remote location of the proposed site and the transportation issues, and you run into some major hurdles.

19. MadMax

in truth, there are far less hurdles than there were for DisneyWorld in Orlando.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But people have pointed out that Orlando was never a tourist destination before Disneyworld, but you seem to have ignored that.