1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tallest Starting Line Up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LeGrouper, Jul 29, 2007.

1. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I can't find a taller starting lineup in the NBA -

Steve Francis - 6'3"
    Tracy McGrady - 6'8"
    Shane Battier - 6'8"
    Luis Scola - 6'9"
    Yao Ming - 7'6"

33'10"

This would be a great rebounding squad. This group would also set up Brooks and James nicely because they would be such a change of pace when they came in to the game. Man we have some diverse weapons this year. I haven't been this excited for the start of the season in many years.

2. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

i hope not.
    adelman's bunch is supposed to slash and have alot of movement.
    this doesnt look to slashy to me.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Me too - I love it! So much talent, so many different possible combinations!

4. SupraJames

SupraJames Member

Your 33' 10" total is a little skewed just because Yao is 7'6 and pretty much has 6 inches to spare to increase everyone else's height.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Slashy? I like it... The players may not be "slashy" but the height has nothing to do with it. Adelman used to play Williams, Duckworth, Kersey, Drexler, thats pretty damn tall.

6. BrandyonTX

BrandyonTX Member

From all the articles we've been reading about Scola, he sounds extremely effective at slashing to the basket.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Only in theory. Height does not necessarily equal rebounding.

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Bonzi is a very underrated rebounder and he's a better rebounder than Battier by far.

9. LeGrouper

Yes I agree, but I think all five of those players are good rebounders with Steve, Tracy and Shane all being exceptional rebounders for their positions.

And yes, Yao is very tall, but that don't change the fact that the line up is the tallest in the league. With Scola at PF, we should have a lot of match up advantages at the 1, 2, and 3 where we will be consistantly bigger and stronger.

10. LeGrouper

Bonzi is a great rebounder, pound for pound on the the best in the league.
    Battier is a good rebounder as well.

We have a DEEP bench...

Bonzi, Luther, James, Hayes, Deke, Butler, Landry, Brooks..

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pound?

12. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

pound for pound? is that a slight at his weight? how dare u.

13. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

lmao!

14. tsunami

tsunami Member

only if Bonzi is not a fatty anymore. Otherwise pound for pound he'd be horrible. Roll up your sleeve to get rid of some fat Mr. Wells.

15. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

battier is a below average rebounder. francis is a great guard rebounder. scola's weakness is speed and rebounding. yao is a good defensive rebounder. we were the number 1 defensive rebounding team in the league last year and with the addition of francis we should still be the best defensive rebounding team in the nba.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I totally agree with you as long as Deke comes back with at least 80 percent of the production of last year. Deke was a monster on the boards last year and I don't see any of the other backups being nearly as productive.

17. LeGrouper

The international games I have seen Scola play, he was a great Rebounder. Let's watch him play a while before we decide he is a poor rebounder.

Battier is an above average rebounder for a small forward. He was a beast in college when he played center. Battier is one of the top three players in the league when it comes to boxing out, allow team mates to get the board. Hence our success last year.

The main picture I am getting at, is I could see this team really creating match up problems for other teams, and getting tons of sencond chances.

I don't think we have had a team around Yao yet that will be able to create the kind of mismatches in the post so that Yao won't allows be doubled in the post.

18. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

right about battier blocking out...wrong about him as a rebounder...hes below average...mcgrady very good, hayes solid, deke great, howard good block out guy...watch the games where battier played alot at 4 and we got murdered on the boards....

19. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

The best Rocket's rebounding lineup, (with career rebounding numbers):

PG Steve Francis 5.6 rpg (also had 7 rpg with rox in 01-02)
    SG Bonzi Wells 4.6 rpg (had 6 rpg in 01-02 w/ portland)
    SF Tracy McGrady 6.3 rpg (also had career high rpg season in 01-02)
    PF Chuck Hayes 5.9 rpg (had almost 7 a game last year)
    C Yao Ming 8.9 rpg

total career rpg= 31.3

Shane has 4.7 career rpg, which appears stronger than Bonzi, but Shane has never rebounded more than 5.4 a game in any season while Bonzi has had 6rpg in 01-02 and 7.7 rpg the year in Sacramento (04-05). Maybe I am giving too much trust to Bonzi, cause I think he will have a great year on the boards and defensively. If he does give us a defensive rock at the 2/3 and snags extra possesions off the boards AND Scola/Hayes works like I think it will, then I think our team could beat the Spurs at their own game: slow ball.

Seems like we should have had this squad during the 01-02 season, seeing as bonzi, sf3 and tmac all had career or breakout years. Obviously, they would take away from each other's avg when playing on the same team, just an interesting coincidence.

20. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

The Bench, however, proves to be the shortest (slashy time!!!)

Mike James 6-3
    Luther Head 6-3
    Bonzi Wells 6-5
    Carl Landry 6-7
    Jackie Butler 6-10