1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict The Rox Scoring Load.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dreamshake, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If TMacs minutes decline that much, I do see his scoring staying the same or going down slightly. Yao only averaged around 34 minutes the past two years.

As far as Francis or James, I guess we'll have to see. They both have good track records of being able to score, it's going to be a matter of how well they fit with TMac and Yao.

2. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Guys, the numbers don't add up like that. last year rockets scored
    97 pts per game during the regular season. with the way you guys adding up all these numbers, the rockets wouldave scored 127 points a game. :eek:
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/stats/

3. capesbre

capesbre Member

These are the stats from the 2002 - 2003 Season for the Kings. I have put the name of the Rockets player that I believe will match up. In terms of scoring potential of course. As Adelman stresses passing I think the scoring load will spread out and will follow this pattern closely, particularly in the regular season. If it deviates at all Mcgrady and Yao may score one or two more PPG while Francis and Bonzi may score 1 or 2 less.
    Name G Min Pts PPG
    Chris Webber (McGrady) 67 2622 1542 23.0
    Peja Stojakovic (Yao) 72 2450 1380 19.2
    Mike Bibby (Francis) 55 1835 875 15.9
    Bobby Jackson (Bonzi) 59 1676 895 15.2
    Vlade Divac (James) 80 2384 795 9.9
    Doug Christie (Battier) 80 2710 748 9.4
    Jim Jackson (Scola) 63 1309 487 7.7
    Keon Clark (Head) 80 1780 536 6.7
    Hidayet Turkoglu (Novak) 67 1175 447 6.7
    Gerald Wallace (Brooks) 47 571 220 4.7

4. capesbre

capesbre Member

Another note of interest. The Sacramento team above had 5 players averaing over 3 assists per game. Last season only TMac and Rafer averaged over 3 assists per game for the Rockets.

5. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

People are gonna be suprised by butler and scola. it seems the 7 points for scola is the number for the populace. however i tend to think he'll be our 3rd highest scorer.

McGrady: 26, 5 boards 5 assists
    Ming:25 , 10 boards , 2 blocks
    Scola:14, 7 boards, 3 assists.
    Francis:13 ,4assists 3 boards
    James:13, 5 assists,2 boards
    Battier:10, 6 boards, 4 assists
    Hayes 8 7 boards,1 steal
    Snyder:7 , 3 boards , 1 steal
    Brooks:6 , 2 assists 1 steal
    Butler:6 , 5 boards 1 block
    Moutombo 3 , 5 boards 2 blocks

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You're going to have to adjust some numbers. That adds up to 131 ppg. The Suns averaged 110 ppg last year.

7. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I think head will probably get like 130 something girls
    tmac 1 girl
    yao 1 girl
    bonzi 92 girls
    shane 25
    bobby sura 492
    rafer 1.5
    mike james 3
    steve francis 4

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, because not everyone plays in every game. If you add up the scoring averages from every player on the rockets roster for last season, you'll end up with way more than 97 as well (actually with something between 120 and 125). With Adelman's system, I think one can assume that each players' numbers added up result in >130.

This is also why the initial post is flawed insofar as it is based on the idea that each player's scoring added up needs to result in the Rockets' scoring average (also, the numbers in the thread starter's post add up to 102, not 103 :p ).

My predictions:

TMac 26 PPG
    Yao 25 PPG
    Francis 14 PPG
    Scola 12 PPG
    James 11 PPG
    Head 10 PPG (if he stays)
    Battier 10 PPG
    Bonzi 8 PPG
    Brooks 7 PPG
    Novak 5 PPG
    Hayes 3 PPG
    Snyder 3 PPG (if he stays)
    Mutumbo 1 PPG
    Butler 1 PPG

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Scoring averages are going to be higher for our role players. You must take into account Yao and McGrady's annual 25 missed games and other unforeseen injuries. Hopefully Yao and McGrady play 82 games. Doubt it...

Scola- 7, 18mpg
    Wells- 13.2, thats all I predict

10. slmonky

slmonky Member

Ming:23 , 10 boards , 5 assists, 2 blocks
    Scola:10, 7 boards, 2 assists.
    Battier:10, 5 boards, 4 assists
    McGrady: 25, 5 boards 5 assists
    Francis:15 ,6 assists, 5 boards

James:12, 4 assists,2 boards
    Hayes 6 7 boards,1 steal
    Snyder:7 , 3 boards , 1 steal
    Brooks:7 , 2 assists 1 steal
    Butler:5 , 5 boards 1 block
    Moutombo 2 , 5 boards 2 blocks

This is what I guess... :)

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

yay! We are gonna put up Phoenix Sunlike numbers

12. slmonky

slmonky Member

No.. lets say we will be better than Phoenix Sun!!!

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The Scoring all depends upon Coach 'A' and his game plan. without knowing this it is difficult but here is my best shot...

Yao Ming 25pts.
    McGrady 20pts.
    Scola 15pts.
    James 10pts.
    Francis 10pts.
    Bonzi 10 pts.
    Battier 5pts.
    Brooks 5pts.
    Hayes 5pts.
    Novac 3pts.
    Butler 2pts. 110 pts./gm. :p

14. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Just random guess..i like having decimals..makes it more realistic

YAO 25.7
    T-MAC 24.8
    BATTIER-7.9
    BONZI- 10.1
    STEVIE - 8.4
    James - 7.1
    SCOLA - 6.4
    HEAD - 5.2
    HAYES - 4.8
    BROOKS - 4.6
    BUTLER/MUTOMBO - 2.5

ALL TOGETHER ABOUT 110 PPG..

15. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

We had five people averaging double-digit scoring last season (Juwan almost #6 at 9.7 ppg).

Now this season, we are supposed to have:

a) More possessions per game due to our new coach/ increased tempo.
    b) Increased field goal percentages due to the better looks the system gives us
    c) Oh yeah... better all around talent.

Top scorers last season:

Yao: 25.0
    T-Mac: 24.6
    Alston: 13.3
    Head: 10.9
    Battier: 10.1
    Howard: 9.7

^^^^
    Compare that with this years team (especially with regards to scoring-ability).

Our third best scorer from last season has no place on our team and is trade bait as we have found replacements that can actually hit an open jumper and finish at the rim. Our 4th best scorers place on this team is unknown and his status as a Rocket is in question due to all the talent we have this season. Louis Scola is supposed to be better in every way (especially on offense) than our 6th best scorer from last season.

Given the new changes, and the expectations of more possessions, increased tempo, easier looks, etc... some of the predictions that people see as outlandish or unreasonable make sense to me just using logic alone and looking at what we know about last season, and comparing that with what is projected for this season.

16. jethro5401

jethro5401 Member

Yao: 25 ppg
    T-Mac: 25

This is basically from last year and I don't expect them to get particularly better or worse, but I think that together, the two will average 25 points a game, whether one has 26 and the other 24, or 25.5 and 24.5.

Then from there:

Shane: 10 ppg- this was his average last year and I don't think he'll be any better or worse under Adelman's system

Francis: 13 ppg (no way he can put up lesser numbers than Rafer)
    Bonzi:8-10
    Luther:7- less PT this year obviously, averaged 10/game last year
    Mike James: 10 ppg (That's like saying he can score 3 or 4 baskets a game, he also averaged that as a backup PG with JVG, a defensive minded coach)

The rest:

Scola: 7 ppg
    Hayes: 5 ppg

That's about 110 points/game using all 9 guys (left out backup center because that's negligible)- seems legitimate to me????

17. AXG

AXG Member

For the rotational players:

TMac- 25
    Yao-24
    Steve-13
    James-11
    Battier-10
    Bonzi-8
    Head-8
    Scola-8
    Chuck-6
    Deke or Butler- 3

Remember there are injuries and players miss games, so the averages tend to be greater than if everyone were healthy all season.

18. pillage

pillage Member

I think y'all are not taking into account what Adelman is going to do for this bunch. I know he's had great players in the past, Drexler, the Kings, etc. but he's had no one who's as pure and deadly a scorer as T-Mac is. Like someone said earlier T-Mac is at his best when he's purely concentrating on scoring, that's what gets him into his flow hence the reason for the higher assist numbers. I would not at all be surprised with 28+ from T-Mac.

Yao's numbers are going to take a dip because he is more value than just hanging out in the low post. His ventures out to the high post will decrease his numbers but will up his assist numbers.

Francis getting 16 may be a little high but I also think he will also thrive in Adelman's system, James coming off the bench can easily get 10, and Adelman loves Bonzi's game so expect about a dozen from him.

I don't see Battier being a contributor at all on the offensive end, like 7 points a game. But a major one on the defensive end.

All that being said I'm just really excited to see how Adelman moulds this team, taking advantage of everyone's offensive strengths and playing good team D with Battier taking the lead.

T-Mac will be the MVP. Nostra-Pillagus so decrees.

19. Party Boy

Party Boy Member

Yao - 29ppg 10reb
    T-mac - 21ppg 5ast
    Francis - 17ppg 6ast
    James - 12ppg 4ast
    Battier - 10ppg 5reb
    Scola - 12ppg 6reb
    Bonzi - 8ppg 3reb

20. SmitingPurpleEm

"More value than just hanging out in the low post?" What? Have you forgotten the fact that points inside are always better than points from the perimeter, because the points come at a higher percentage and come with more fouls on the opposition, and that low-post scorers are worth their weight in gold, especially in these times when they are few and far between? If someone is going to dominate the offense and average 30 ppg, it should be Yao, not McGrady. We have seen the results when McGrady dominates the offense - low playoff seeds and first round exits.

Personally I think they will both average around 25 ppg, and the extra points from the other guys will come from the increased pace.