1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Indiana continues search for PG (Update: Pacers sign Diener)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BackNthDay, Jul 18, 2007.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Would love to have Foster. I've been lobbying for him for a few years now. He's one of those tough big guys that can rebound, defend and play his role to a T.

Would be a terrific acquisition for a couple of our guards or young players under contract (Novak, Snyder, rights to Newley/Eliyahu or something else).

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Sure I'd take him for throwaways.

But for a trade value piece, Alston, James or Head, Foster isn't good value.

And I again, I don't think Foster is the PF that Hayes is, and isn't the back-up center Deke is. I'd rather resign both if acquiring Foster would cost either.

But I would be all for adding Haslem or Ike with the meat of the deal one of our excess guards (Head, Alston, maybe James). Ike has potential, yes, but he ALSO had better ratings than Foster did last year. He is every bit as likely to contribute to the Rockets AND has a much higher upside on top.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

we are in the fortunate position that we could overspend a little for foster. i don't think he is worth all that much but he would be a significant bench player for us. he is a garbage man par excellence, great offensive rebounder, just has no problem doing the dirty work. i just think he'd fit well.

4. Navman

Navman Member

Putting Haslem in the western conference against Duncan, Dirk, Garnett, Amare, Brand, and Boozer makes me shudder. He's a decent rebounder, yes, but he also doesn't block shots and is 6'8.

Now remember that we just brought in Scola, a good PF who can score. Now we need to focus on one who can make an IMMEDIATE impact by playing D and manning up against the stronger PF's of the West. That PF is Foster.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Everything you just described is exactly what Chuck Hayes is.

I have nothing against Foster. He's smart, plays good defense and rebounds very well. That 8.1 RPG in 23 minutes translates to about 17 RPG per 48 minutes. That's great and all but I still think Haslem is a better all around player. Haslem is more athletic, just as smart and just as tough as Foster. The difference is what you lose in rebounding you make up for with Haslem's mid-range game and ability to finish around the basket.

Haslem was instrumental in the Heat's championship run last year. He's a great option to have to make an immediate impact while Scola goes through the inevitable adjustment period/struggles.

6. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

HASLEM OR FOSTER?

I choose Haslem! Because he's better than foster

7. htownzplaya03

htownzplaya03 Member

they were desperate to sign diener