1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rookie Ranking [Brooks #1]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wreck, Jul 23, 2007.

1. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I think on draft day Morey was torn between Glen Davis and Carl Landry. He chose Landry on athleticism and slightly better college stats. That being said, Landry hasn't yet won or lost a roster spot. Durant, Oden and several others actually had subpar Summer League games so nothing is set in stone yet. If I were upper management, I'd still want to look at our young kids to see how they do in Preseason before rushing to judgement.

2. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

I'm wondering if Intelligence played a factor as well. Not that I wouldn't want Glen Davis on the Rockets but if they both appeared equal that could be a deciding factor.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The cart goes behind the horse.

4. Dei

Dei Member

I honestly think that there's a large gap between 6'8 and 6'9 when playing at the PF position.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

how do you know this?

6. yaoza ming

yaoza ming Rookie

is the summer league three point line the same distance as the NBA three point line? cuz he shot .419 from the three point line :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. rnbni99a

rnbni99a Member

he wont get any PT

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I still don't like the pick. Why draft an undersized senior at a position where you already have 4 players? Wouldn't Splitter have been a better pick as a project if we aren't expecting him to contribute right away? Then for the Landry pick he didn't take either the proven contributor or the project. I would have gone Splitter at 26 and McRoberts at 31. I guess in a decade we will see if Brooks and Landry have better careers than those two.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

With the addition of Steve Francis, there's very, very little chance we can know how this pick turns out until next year... at the earliest. This isn't a Sam Cassell situation where all he has to beat out for playing time is Scott Brooks. Even if Alston's traded, Brooks is unlikely to see time unless Francis or James is injured, AND Luther(Alston gets traded) prove to suck in a system where the PG isn't needed to do much.

In another words, Brooks is a benchwarmer this season.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This isn't complicated- at #26 you draft a player who has skills that will translate into the NBA and forget about need. Brooks has skills that will translate into the NBA a lot more than Splitter and McRoberts. Brooks has world-class speed, can shoot and was a team leader as a four year starter. There is nothing that Splitter, or McRoberts brings to the table that is exceptional. He's an asset. Splitter and McRoberts are bench fodder, at best.

11. holyman2k

holyman2k Member

he won't play much at all since we got francis, james

12. holyman2k

holyman2k Member

because at the time of the pick, we don't have james and francis

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Splitter has a lot of potential. He has size at 7', speed for a PF, and has experience at high levels of competition, even though he is only 22. McRoberts, has a prototypical NBA PF body, is a good shotblocker at about 2.5 per game, and is a good passer from his position. When he was not asked to carry the offense (as he wouldn't be in Houston) he was an efficient scorer. Also in his favor is the fact that he is only 20. Like I said, we will see in the long run who was the better pick.
    At the time of the pick they had already made the trade for James (about two weeks earlier). At best Brooks was 3rd on the PG depth chart when he was drafted and that doesn't count Head who will probably see time at the point again this season. Signing Francis just exacerbates the situation and nearly guarantees Brooks will be warming the bench even if Alston is moved.

#33 StupidMoniker, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  14. htownzplaya03

htownzplaya03 Member

wow he not that bad having 5.2 apg and 21.4 ppg

15. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Brooks defintely will not be a benchwarmer this season he may even threaten somebody's starting position or question more playing time. He is fast with the ball under control,with this quickenss he can break the junk trap defenses, he can get into the lane at will and he can really shoot the basketball from distance with a hand or not in his face. The way Adelman was talking about brooks at one of those press conferences is that he will play, he was saying he is a rookie but if he is ready to play he will be playing,all he has to do now is prove that he can do those same things in preseason and then when the season starts he will get playing time.

The dude is ready to play now, he ran screen and roll well which is a big part of adleman's offensive game plan and what adleman liked the most was he can hit that NBA three at will. I also saw that he can dime when he wants to as well , he is a willing passer if that is what he has to do and with his quickness and ability to hit the three, this triple threat fits into the game plan for more minutes. The mega thing about dude is he has high confidence and he seems to have a controlled relaxed demeanor.Adelman is leaning towards playing aaron and the only thing really that will keep him off the floor is his defensive ability and him giving into to the rookie mind state.

16. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Well if B. Roy can get playing time, then Brooks can get some too.

Brandon Roy
    Season Team GP MPG SPG BPG RPG APG PPG
    2006-07 Portland 57 35.4 1.2 .2 4.4 4.0 16.8

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

adelman has no problem playing a rookie if he is ready and can contribute.....speaking of AB. There will be lots of garbage minutes due to many blow-outs and he will play............a lot. :p

18. Dei

Dei Member

From what I've heard around the boards. Aaron was being scouted by Rick even before he came here. Landry, on the other hand, was Morey's decision.

19. And1fayfay

And1fayfay Member

well if brooks played for last year's Blazers... he would be starting too

20. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

theres some things brooks does better than francis and james already. hes much quicker than them, actually knows how to run a screen and roll, and has the ability to dictate the tempo of the game. his passing and court vision is also underrated and he spot up shoots better than both of them. brooks is without a question adelman's favorite. adelman was speaking so highly of him that its no secret he'll be getting some minutes.