1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would YOU do to fix NBA officiating?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A-Train, Jul 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

use more refs
    back people off the court by 2 feet
    up the refs salary
    have stricter calling against flopping
    have a referee evaluation committee or something of that sort

2. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Recruit refs from the Vatican only.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

instant replay.

4. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

I agree more money would help, but what about referee boot camp? They get more extensive training on how to call, calls. I know that they probably do this already, but make it more extensive and probably for a longer period of time.

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

or just let the refs live in a virtual room for 4 hours before the game where everything is 2x faster, when they get out, everything is slower and clearer! That's if the refs don't get sick and barf all over the place.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

in are an insane number of charging calls (talk about disrupting the flow), even more flopping (are you sure you watch college refs? that's all post defenders do and get away with ), plenty of eating the whistle in the final minute (see the tourney), and jaw-dropping inconsistency. no matter what people think of nba refs, i just don't see how they watch other levels of basketball and think those refs are better (unless they just don't watch much of it and there's a little "the grass is always greener" mentality going on).

but now you have to find 4 times as many competent refs, which are already in short supply. and then you would have games being reffed 4 different ways, with the players never having a chance to get used to each set of refs' styles.

7. htownzplaya03

htownzplaya03 Member

i would sue him

8. conquistador#11

Do away with all current Nba refs and place a system with fiba, inwhich refs from other countries tour games in the US. My second option would be let the players call their own fouls.

9. mcm1150

mcm1150 Member

Five suggestions:

1) Instant replay for Out of Bounds, Charging Semi-circle, Foot on 3 pt. line. To be watched by a 4th offical who is in front of a monitor. He can signal for the call or a stoppage if he sees something.

<This is will help eliminate blown calls on clear and identifiable plays>

2) Officials should work in established crews for the entire season and playoffs. No more moving officals around. Crews can be rearranged if the crew is preforming poorly.

<Builds chemistry between officals and allows for better ref evaluations, since the other 2 officals will be the same>

3) NBA fines for blatant flopping. $5,000.00 per flop paid by the player. It must be blatant and the decision should be unanimous between a team of reviewers. Continued offenses could lead to a possible suspension.

<Trying to stop flopping during a game will be too difficult and will affect the game too much. Instead, players will suffer in their pay check. And instead of one person making the call, a team can evaluate a submitted play>

4) Use the NBA DL as a development league for young refs.

5) NBA should provide refs with scouting reports on players based on actually game footage. How do they defend, how does the other team defend, does a player create more contact than others, do they use cheap tricks that are often hidden from the refs? And the refs should be required to study up on each game and teams.

<Yao would be greatly benefited by this.>

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree with everything except 1. I just think it would slow down the game too much. instant replay works in the nfl because of the stops and starts.

11. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

one team challenge per half...... how much longer would that add to a game? 10 minutes total? not having marc cuban moan for days on end would be worth this time spent reviewing controversal calls

12. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

The owners should fire David Stern as well as every other NBA official.

Bring in a complete set of new officials from college ranks etc. and make simply the rules eliminating most if not all of the judgment calls from the game.

Thats the only way people will ever take the NBA seriously again. Anything less and people will always be able to criticize the officials for this scandal.

13. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

What would I do to fix NBA officiating?

I'd have referees who were pushed around by the mob so that they make calls in order to beat the spread...

14. Sextuple Double

Let Jack Bauer interrogate them after every game.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ideally, there shouldn't be "styles" of reffing. Every ref should call the game the same way, which is by the rules. Now I know this will never happen because there is an element of subjective judgment. Some refs have a tendency to favor certain style of plays and punish certain style of plays. That's unfair. having 4 sets of refs calling a game hopefully would balance out the unfairness.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

make all calls based on the rules and not the reputation/years played/name/salary of the player

and find a way to stop calling phantom fouls on superstar guards, the Wade reffing is just a joke

17. SlamIt

SlamIt Member

Completely agree. It works for NFL, why not NBA! Remember Game 5 vs. Dallas when Finley stole the ball from Barry when stepping out of bound?

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

To stop flopping, horrible calls, miscommunication between refs, have one challenge for every half. I think that would help out a lot. Maybe one per game instead of half.

3 NBA Refs per team city that are stationed there and do all the games there.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Instead of the third Ref they could have senior Refs to be known as Ref. Judges and they would be in a box at the center, side of the court and they would over
    rule the bad calls if deemed necessary.

20. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

1. Add one Coach challenge every 4th quarter. If they lose they also lose a 20 second time out.

2. Blatant flops brought to the attention after the game will be counted as one technical foul that will be given at the start of their next game played leaving them with just one t before getting the boot from that game.

3. A better referee grade system. Senior officials should be payed vastly more then others, rewarded for being graded as one of the best most fair officials year after year.

and thats about it, other then that the game is fine to me