1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whos the face of the the Franchise?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MBP, Jul 21, 2007.

1. allforone

allforone Member

a ps YaoMac face? anyone ?

whatsoever , they are co-existing very well

2. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

tmac had a VERY VERY pathetic start to last season so that's why iverson nearly closed in.

if tmac starts out his normal self, he'll be the starter in the all-star game.

yao is the face b/c of the international appeal. but to win, u need tracy mcgrady. the team has consistently shows that they need tmac in most aspects of the game.

3. yaominn

yaominn Member

I think this year rox will have much better results if tmac misses some games, wells/james/francis can all help

big men, including young shaq and duncan, are/were not major weapons in the last 4 minutes, last two years we relied on head and skip and forced to feed yao when tmac was not there, tell me how many games we lost in the last 4 minutes?

4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

obviously the team is gonna do better. but i don't think the rox can make the playoffs w/ tmac missing 30+ games.

5. yaominn

yaominn Member

this team without tmac is better than 03/04 team which was the 7th seed.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

francis was a true all-star that yr. mobley was pretty good that yr. that backcourt was one of the best.

more importantly, the west was not even close to being as competitive as it is now.

if francis can go back to being an all-star caliber player, sure. but that's assuming tmac is out and francis hast he ball in his hands all the time to have a chance at regaining that form.

7. htownbball

htownbball Member

if the rox win the finals...the face of the franchis should be...

DARYL MOREY

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I would say Yao, but we are just another timberwolves without tmac, steve and the rest.

9. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i wouldn't say that. i would say the leaving of JVG had to do everything w/ all the moves we've made rather than morey. if JVG was still here, morey wouldn't have drafted these players (fast-paced guards) to go w/ adelman's belief. he would have drafted players who would have fit w/ JVG's defensive style.

francis would not have chosen the rox if JVG was still here. same w/ MJ possibly.

so i think the firing of JVG facilitated all of this so in that sense, he still has an impact on the rockets hehe.

10. SmitingPurpleEm

If you use 05-06... McGrady went 6-15 without Yao. This year McGrady didn't miss many games, and we did OK in them.

You assert that the Rockets need McGrady in most facets of the game to win. I assume you're going after the fact that McGrady creates a large chunk of the offense with his driving. This was true especially last year, but this was a byproduct of the scheme and the personnel. We had spot up shooters, and guys that could only shoot layups (Hayes, Mutombo), and the JVG offense didn't involve much motion. Therefore, anyone not named Yao or McGrady had to have their shot created for them. That will change this year with people who can create their own shot, and more motion in the offense, and McGrady will not create as much.

Similarly, I could say that Yao is a superior rebounder and shotblocker, and it isn't even close. McGrady isn't 7'6", so Yao is supposed to be the better rebounder and shotblocker. Yao is not a guard, so he's not supposed to create offense off the dribble. If you want to compare Yao and McGrady you can't compare aspects of their game like that. You have to compare areas where they're comparable.

11. The Brian

The Brian Member

agreed.

this is yao's team and yao is the better player.

12. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i don't think tracy was ever healthy in 05-06. he came in and out of the lineup every 10-12 games or so so u can't say that was the tmac of last yr.

if tmac was healthy in 05-06 (or 80% relatively healthy like he was last yr), we would have made the playoffs even in 05-06.

remember that stretch he had 6 straight 30 pt games in 05-06 and we were just w/in 3-4 games of the 8th spot, then he got injured again.

so had tmac stayed healthy for the rest of 05-06 after coming back from the first 2, we would def. have made the playoffs at least as the 8th seed.

13. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

I know...why don't we let a free throw contest decide it. :p

14. g1184

g1184 Member

The one thing I always though was weird was labeling which team belongs to whom.

team - collectivism
    whom - individualism

The ideas are like night and day ... but I understand what people are saying at the same time.

I'd like to promote a train of thought that places the responsibility of the team on all the players' shoulders, because a sense of ownership deepens one's emotional commitment to an idea. That three Novak hits in the first 5 minutes is equally and important as the gamewinner Tmac hits in the last 5 seconds. All the player's abilities are utilized to add up to 100% of the team. This team belongs to everybody.

It's my team.

I'm done with this soapbox if anybody else would like to use it. Also, I voted for Yao as the face of the franchise. It's a commercial thing.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

The face of the NBA is Lebron James.

Best player in the NBA is Kobe Bryant.

16. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

ya...i hate lebron..hes overrated but anyways..t-mac should be the face of the rockets with a wink = P

17. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

18. slmonky

slmonky Member

It's TMac's team, but this team is really built around Yao. Simply, Yao doesn't have the characteristic of a learder.

Yao doesn not lead this team...!

19. rocBJ

rocBJ Member

although tmac is a better player, the rockets was built around yao, so...

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That's what you think.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]