1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Resigning Deke Make Sense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PeteTheCheat, Jul 18, 2007.

1. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I would have to go with yes. For two reasons...

1. He is a good veteran presence in a locker room with seemingly no other leader at this point. Both Tracy and Yao are great people, but they aren't really leaders off the court. Juwan is now gone, so someone has to be a voice. I don't know if any of the other guys have the tenure or personality to do that.

2. Insurance. Yes we have Butler, but who would you trust more to insert should Yao go down, a 22 year old kid who hasn't really proven himself yet, or the guy who is number 2 on the all time shot blocking list and has played in the league forever. Personally I choose the second guy ;)

I do think that this will be Deke's last season and this is his last chance at a championship. He wants a ring so bad, that is why I think he was upset at his playing time in the playoffs last year. Even I was shouting at times for JVG to put Deke in to block Boozer's annoying bum a few times. When Deke was on the floor in those limited minutes he was productive. So let him coast through most of the season playing a few minutes here and there and then give him as many minutes as you can in the playoffs.

3. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Deke was awesome when Yao was out, but only Adelman can say if he will fit with the new system. If he signs for the vet min and doesn't cause you to lose butler, landry, or harris or get another piece, what the hell sign him. But I don't want to give up anything promising to keep him.

4. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

LMAO!! :D

5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I'd try resigning him for the Vet minimumum since we have a little bargaining leverage at that position now. Like already said, if Yao does go down i'd rather see Deke stepping it up and starting, then Butler backing Deke up. When we need to run a little more and Yao's healthy, Butler should be backing Yao up while T-Mac is in control.

As for the PG abundance, if we can't get much of a player via trade, i wouldn't mind trying to dump a couple of them just for a second round pick a piece. Try and trade 2 seconds for a first rounder, then trade two 1st rounders to move up. Or whatever we can do that helps the team the most. We should at least be able to replace the 2nd round pick we gave up for Scola no matter what.

6. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

I hate to say it but injuries happen. God forbid Yao gets injured again, but if he does - two solid centers is good to have. At the vet minimum, Deke is a definite asset. And don't forget we lost a good locker room leader in Howard, so the more high character guys we have on the roster the better. Bring him back.

7. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

JL3 will be traded (probably draft pick), Harris is not guaranteed as of yet...so that may make it 15.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I just thought I would add another reason to saying yes to resigning Deke...

Chances are he will be cheap. :)

9. bushi63

bushi63 Member

The Rockets MUST resign Bossman.. he is an OG and we need him to scare the crap outta the big name stars who dare penetrate. (see lebron in a facemask)

10. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

No questions needed. Deke is still a great player without a doubt. He may not have any offensive skills but he will give you boards and blocks on a bad day. I noticed the extra fire Deke has in the playoffs as well. The guy has heart and hustle in which we really need!

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think it still makes perfect sense. If a particular game calls for a more defensive minded back-up center, you insert Deke. If it calls for a more offensive minded back-up center, you insert Jackie Butler. Having that option should also make Deke more effective because he can get more rest. Besides that, they say Jackie Butler is still developing. Well, if scrimmaging against Yao and Deke doesn't help him improve both his offensive and defensive capabilities, nothing will.

12. CowboyJeffR

CowboyJeffR Member

I have been thinking about this alot, and I dont think we should resign Deke. With Butler, Scola, and Hayes all capable of logging minutes at Center, I think the team would be better served to keep Novak, Landry, Reed, or Snyder instead.

I really liked Reed last year when we played the Wolves, and I think that people are writing him off to soon. Also Snyder, I thought showed flashes last season, and could have done more if he was not buried by Van Gundy.

So, overall, I think that we wont bring Deke back. Or at least I wouldnt.

13. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

People should know when they're old and dirty. :)

Retiring Deke makes more sense to me. That's greedy of him not to give chance to the new and young athletes.

14. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Why would you rather have Hayes play Center rather than Deke? Im curious

15. CowboyJeffR

CowboyJeffR Member

Its not that I would rather, or that I dont like Dikembe. Its just that there are not a whole lot of minutes behind Yao at center, and with the trend of the league to go small rather than big at the Center position, I think that the team would be better off to keep a developing player than a older one that is not going to play.

16. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Id say a rather loud YES.
    Deke brings veteran leadership.
    Also Deke has tought Yao many things since he's been here and imo is still a worthy practice opponent at the very least.
    The rockets should let him continue to play until he is ready to assume his next profession as Rockets play by play commentator :p

17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I love Deke, and I wouldn't mind seeing him back. Though, I don't think it makes much sense. You have Butler. You have the overabundance of players. You have a different coach with a different system. Do the Rockets really need a spot for a 40+ 8-10 min guy? Maybe if they do a 3-1 trade or something.

18. CowboyJeffR

CowboyJeffR Member

I agree with you. While I wouldnt mind seeing him back, I dont think it is conducive to furthering the team.

19. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Not to mention he's still a monster on the boards!! There's still some game left in that 60 year old body.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If the Rockets front office doesn't re-sign Mutombo and doesn't cut Bonzi, I have lost respect for them.