1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman On How to Deploy Yao Ming & Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 16, 2007.

1. anon3803

anon3803 Member

Hmm, so I guess James won't be considered our third scoring threat? Scola might be, but I'm not sure he'll be able to put up 15+ points per 40 minutes in an NBA game. I'd only put a 30% chance in the Rockets picking up Francis . . . makes me wonder what other moves Morey/Adelman have planned.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They were catch-and-shoot in rhythm shots.

#82 durvasa, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Thanks for the translation.

I have to say that I'm beginning to get pretty interested to see Adelman's scheme. I must admit that I worry terribly every time I hear the words "Brad Miller" and "Vlade Divac" alongside Yao's name. I'm convinced that the low post game should be the absolute cornerstone of Yao's (and the Rockets') attack. I have no doubt that Yao can hit a jumpshot, but I would much rather he attack the other team and work his way in close to the basket for a high percentage shot or draw a foul. Yao's best percentage is obviously at the free throw line. I do worry that he won't get to the line enough if he's popping off from 15 feet out. (And no, shooting from the elbow is not terribly comparable to shooting a free throw.) I dunno. I think it's clear we need some sort of new offense, but Yao's post game is the one cog I'm very reluctant to tamper with.

Nevertheless, I'm interested to see what Adelman has in store for Yao. I'm almost more interested, though, to see what he has Tracy do. I don't think the Rockets can win big with McGrady having to make plays and totally dominate the ball. He's too easily doubled that way. My interest is definitely piqued by Adelman's statement that TMac is a "perfect fit" for his plans.

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

do you think Yao Ming is the best...?

what's the point of beign best if you can NOT perform during playoffs? :eek:

5. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

I for one believe that Yao is going to expand his game through Adelman's offensive strategies simply because he'll be able to utilize more aspects of his game. I'm all for setting him up right beside the free-throw line and letting him use his height to hit cutters for easy layups.

What's wrong with a drop in his PPG when he can be hitting cutters left and right for easy shots? I agree with Hayesfan when he said that we shouldn't be thinking JVG offense when Yao is situated in other areas besides the low post. He won't be sitting in one place, boxing out his player and waiting for a pass. He'll be moving a quite a bit from place to place, setting screens and flashing all over the place. He won't be moving ALL the time, obviously, since that will only tire him out, but look for him to be moving more and in a wider area, as opposed to left box to right box like he did last year. We all know that Yao doesn't care if his PPG drops, as long as the team does better because of it.

I'm also hoping for a more efficient Mac, and that should happen with (theoritically) more easy looks coming his way this year.

I don't want to get too excited for this coming season, but it's getting harder and harder to contain myself! So far, so good, Morey.

P.S. yao fan 2007, maybe it's time to realize that we don't all worship Yao before going to bed.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you about the miller/vlade talk. Not something i want to hear about one of the best post players in the game. Adelman still has to keep yao on the low block for the majority of the time.

As for the tmac part...im interested too. I get a feeling that tmac could work the high post with certain lineups. He usually like that elbow extended area for his shots anyways and ,of course, he is a very good passer.

7. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Wow, once again you have got to be the most ignorant A$$ on this board. No where in my post did i say that Eddy Curry was better. In fact, I said that he was not. You are the one spewing this crap about field goal percentage. I was merely showing you that players that are not close to the calibur of Yao have a better FGP than Yao does. Not because they are better, but because of the situation that they are put in. That is what Adelman is going to do. Use Yao to score, but also use Yao to make his teammates better. That is what a great offensive coach does. Once again you prove to the board that you are an idiot and that you do not read anything before opening your piehole. I never said Curry was better, but you seem to be so enamored with him it is crazy. I think you typed his name 10 times above.

You are still missing the point here. I asked you what would Yao want. To get his points, or to make sure his TEAM wins first. Answer that question honestly? Or do you take the 5th? Not wanting to show everyone the true idiot that you are by caring more about Yao's stats than he does. Grow up!

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

yao was doubled int he playoffs? :rolleyes:

he's a CENTER. shaq is more efficient than yao still. amare too. most big men shoot dunks and layups.

the reason yao shot 44% was he didn't stay near the basket enough and becme inefficient like the guards.

39% to 44%??? wow, u think that's a diss to yao or tmac??

yao is 7'6 for god sakes playing 1-on1 v. okur and milsap. at least tmac played againt known defenders in ak47 and fisher.

9. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

oh my goodness. do u know basketball?

check AI's fg% in teh paint v. outside the paint. check dwade. check lebron.

tmac's fg% 2pt shots is like 47% in the reg. season.

so if youre CLOSER to the basket, you're more likely to score.

again, WATCH THE GAME PLEASE. u do have eyes don't u?

10. BBall Scientist

Clyde Drexler doesn't exactly have the greatest BBall IQ from his comments during games. But still he said something interesting in an interview on NBATV. He was asked what he thought about Rick Adelman replacing Jeff Van Gundy.

Drexler said that Adelman was in his opinion, "light years ahead of Rudy T," and that based on the Rockets practices he attended with Van Gundy coaching the team, Adelman is "an offensive genius compared to Van Gundy."

Drexler also said that he's personally never had another coach, nor seen another one coaching in practice up close (JVG) that was even close to the coach Adelman is. He said, "Adelman's a genius."

Maybe this is just more of Clyde's towing the company line and saying happy things for Less, maybe it's Clyde saying nice things about his former coach and a personal friend, maybe it's both, but I still thought it was very interesting that Clyde said Adelman was "light years ahead of Rudy T" as far as the best coach he played for.

He went to the Finals twice under Adelman but lost, while under Rudy he won a title.

I think I trust Adelman's useage of Yao, and I think Rockets fans complaining about how Adelman is going to destroy Yao is just foolish. If anything I expect Yao to average about 27 a game under Adelman, and McGrady about 29 a game.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't take it out of context. He is saying that Yao has Miller's shooting touch and Divac's passing skills. He is not saying that Yao's game will be similar to either of the two players. He has BOTH of the players' strengths PLUS a dominating low post game. That's a world of difference.

12. pillage

pillage Member

Wouldn't they be available during the game. He can pop out, go up for the shot, if its clean and in rhythm, take it at a 40% clip or pass it to the open man. He doesn't have to do it all the time, how about just 20% of the time the offense is run through Yao. He'll get maybe a total of 4-7 shots from that area on any given night, more if he's feeling it, and the rest of the time use his court vision.

This argument is predecated on whether or not Yao will be able to find the open man if he doesn't have a good shot from 12-15 feet out. I'm saying he does, or at least can do it well enough for him to be out there 30% of the time? Is it really so bad to have more than one type of offense positioning for the most skilled (if not the best) center in the NBA?

I agree with the others who want to see how Adelman will impact T-Mac. I would love to see Tracy hell bent at scoring points and a coach that is willing to facilitate that.

13. BBall Scientist

If there's one thing Scola can do, it's put the ball in the hoop. Believe me, if Adelman has Yao at the high post and concentrates on his passing down low, Scola will put the ball in the hoop. He' an absolute offensive beast in the low post.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, i know...but i still dont like it ;)

i'd rather have scola feeding yao from the high post, not the other way around

15. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

nah i wouldn't want yao and tmac to avg that high. if they do, that means we still depend on them too much.

HOWEVER if they avg that high w/ yao shooting 55-56% and tmac 46-47%, then that's ok.

can't wait till next yr.

let's see what our stars have done in this offseason.

tmac is gonna start his all-out training late this month so hopefully the chron will have more updates on his stuff.

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

And who likes to argue with other posters by caling them morons and jackasses.

17. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Stop, please just stop. Go join a Chinese forum and talk your nonsense there.

You ruined another great thread by "ROCKET" Fan Pryuen.

#97 WhoMikeJames, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  18. anon3803

anon3803 Member

How does that work? Scola's quicker and can get to the basket easier from the high post, but Yao can actually shoot from the high post.

I think Scola would do well in either the high or low post. But putting Yao in the high post more will help him maintain his stamina since he won't have to box out the big centers and PF to get good position.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That drives me nutz too, I mean everyone has an opinion on here, based on something, either a belief, some stats, or something.......and that is all they are opinions.

It is unbelievable when people start calling others idiots, or morons, or other names.......I mean WTF? We are all Rocket fans, and to call someone a derogatory name on a message board because they don't think like you?

That is just unbelievably childish and rude.....I don't get it.

I mean calling yourself an idiot is fine....but another fan.....inexcusable......

DD

20. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

well check his name. is yao_fan_2007. maybe he'll be a yao fan just for this yr. hopefully he'll be a rocket_fan_2008. :D