1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Nba.com] Rockets Hit It Big With Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sourav004, Jul 14, 2007.

1. sourav004

sourav004 Member

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2007/players/brooks_071147.html

Rockets Hit It Big With Brooks
    By Maurice Brooks
    Posted Jul 14 2007 10:44PM

LAS VEGAS, July 14, 2007 -- At the 2007 NBA Draft, the Rockets weren't one of the teams with a lottery pick. Still, after drafting Aaron Brooks with the 26th overall selection, Houston feels as if it has the winning ticket.

Coming into the NBA Summer League, Brooks’ name was not mentioned amongst the headliners. It should have been. Brooks has been the most consistently dominating player through the first eight days.

As a defender, there is no correct way to successfully stop him. Give him room and he will splash a jumper in your face. Push up on him and he will use his blinding first step to skate past you.

“This league fits my game well,” Brooks said. “Speed wise, it is perfect. I love the open floor and getting out in space.”

In some cases, numbers lie. Brooks’ 24 points, 6.3 assists and 2.7 rebounds per game, however, speak the truth.

He has been spectacular.

“This has been a lot of fun,” Brooks said. “It is a lot of work, but it has been interesting.”

After having nine turnovers against Dallas two nights ago, Brooks came back and had none the next day. It is that kind of improvement that has people in Houston realizing they have a special player on their hands.

“That was way too many turnovers so I knew I had to play better,” said Brooks, who led the Pac-10 in scoring (17.7 points per game) and was fifth in assists (4.3) while at Oregon last season. “I was too eager. I know now to slow things down. I have to play under control, pick my spots and try to keep improving.

Brooks didn't have a huge game, as far as stats are concerned, tonight against the Kings, but he did just enough to help the Rockets get the victory. He scored 17, grabbed five rebounds and gave out three assists.

Brooks has notched eight assists in one game and seven in another this week. After coming close to getting 10 helpers twice, Brooks said he has a couple of simple goals he would like to accomplish before leaving Las Vegas.

“First of all, I want us to win our games,” Brooks said. “Secondly, I want to go out and get a double-double.”

At this point, nobody who has seen him play would bet against him.

# Here is the updated Race to the MVP Top 20 through games played on July 13.

1. Louis Williams, Sixers

2. Aaron Brooks, Rockets

3. Rodney Stuckey, Pistons

4. Marco Belinelli, Warriors

5. Nate Robinson, Knicks

6. J.J. Barea, Mavericks

7. Craig Smith, Wolves

8. Jason Maxiell, Pistons

9. Alando Tucker, Suns

10. Al Thornton, Clippers

11. Rudy Gay, Grizzlies

12. LaMarcus Aldridge, Blazers

13. Jelani McCoy, Nuggets

14. Leon Powe, Celtics

15. Kelenna Azubuike, Warriors

16. Shannon Brown, Cavaliers

17. Pierre Pierce, Warriors

18. Javaris Crittenton, Lakers

19. Rodney Carney, Sixers

20. Kyle Lowry, Grizzlies

# Dropped out: Wang Zhizhi, Team China, Marcus Banks, Suns, Francisco Garcia, Kings.

2. Caboose

Caboose Member

awesome. I'm on vacation and I didn't realize that he was doing that well. I've got to get updated on what's going on.

3. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

4. aznhowie20

aznhowie20 Member

dang... i was about to post at 10:23, u beat me by 1 min! haha

but im proud of brooks!!! theres gonna be conflicts on who will start this regular season if brooks continue to improve

5. sourav004

sourav004 Member

LoL, i was happy to beat the people of Clutchfans to a article for the first time...finally!!!

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I was somewhat disappointed w/ the pick initially, but I will be incredibly happy this season if I can say I was dead wrong. Keep it up Brooks!

7. playlife

playlife Member

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Obviously a BOF.

9. Dei

Dei Member

I'm eating crow 3x a day since the start of summer league.

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I can't wait for the season to start......
    this is music to my Dumbo ears! :D

Go Rockets!!!!!

11. sourav004

sourav004 Member

Thanks for ruining my day...LoL

I really think Brooks could be a boast off the bench against certain opponents. But it is just summer league but its still good to see him second in mvp rankings!

12. Dei

Dei Member

Call me overly optimistic, but I can see Brooks as our starting PG. Rafer, Head, and Lucas will probably be gone, Mike James is better as a sixth/seventh man, and Brooks has shown that size isn't an issue, that he can run a team and will only get better.

13. tmac2yao

tmac2yao New Member

Brooks for summer league mvp! This guy can definately play, I hope he gets some quality PT in our rotation.

14. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Me too! Tastes best everytime AB scores.

15. Laozi

Laozi Member

I don't think that is even a possible option, even as well as Brooks is playing. If nothing else the grind of the NBA season will wear on him if he got starter min. I like Brooks as our third point guard for when guys get into foul trouble and what not, I think he has the potential to be a very Bobby Jackson in Sac. type player for us next year.

16. 2rings

2rings Member

Two words: summer league. I hope AB turns out great and may well be, but performing well in summer league is nice but very inconclusive to say the least. Jury is still way out.

17. blender

blender Member

If Brooks works out and Scola turns out to be as good as advertised, there are a lot of media pundits who should be joining you. :)

18. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Any new Brooks.. video clip?

19. 2002whitegt

2002whitegt Member

Posted by Clutch, AN ally-oop DUNK

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JOLngZFLRJ0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JOLngZFLRJ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

20. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

He can hoop!!!...

Thanks