1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the Rockets look after the Scola deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Honey Bear, Jul 12, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

He's a better player right now than Landry. Landry might have potential, but Harris certainly has more talent.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Snyder will be a restricted free agent, so yes.

On the 2nd part, there's a "cliff" provision -- teams only slightly over the luxury tax threshold are not completely cut out.

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

i don't think anyone here has seen him play, i was hoping for him to play in the summer league, to see an idea. him not play in the summer league could mean two things
    1. aldmen and his staff thinks reed is more proven than the others
    or
    2. reed is not in the rockets plan, and morey had a conversation since the juawn trade, with some team about a sign and trade, and couldn't complete it until now (team couldn't sign a player until this week)

i think he and landry will have a good competition in the training camp, for the final spot.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

its amazing. the rockets go from 1 pf in chuck to reed/harris/landry/scola/jackie (granted harris/reed are tweeners). one of them has to work out and be able to at least be a decent bench guy. Harris really impressed me. I wonder how he does against some legit nba players and games

5. Fuse

Fuse Member

We are in good shape. I would actually like to get a legit 2 guard with our tradable assets. The PF position can be filled through a committee of our new found PFs.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Can you elaborate on the "slightly over the luxury tax threshold" part? How much over the luxury tax is it possible to go before falling off the revenue sharing "cliff"?

7. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

James/Alston/Brooks/JLIII
    T-Mac/Head/Snyder/Bonzi
    Battier/T-Mac/Harris/ Justin Reed
    Scola/Hayes/Novak/Landry
    Yao/Butler/Mutumbo

Those are all the players we have under contract minus Sura plus Hayes, Scola and Mutumbo, who we are expected to sign. I think I saw that Harris' contract is for 2 years, with the first year guaranteed. If that's the case, at least three guys need to go because we're over the 15 man limit. No way Eliyahu plays for us this season. I think Head, Snyder, Reed, JLIII and Alston could all be goners. The problem is, I think we need to improve most in the backup guard spots. Usually you can't trade backup guards for better backup guards.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm surprised to see so many people still listing Snyder in the depth chart and Head on the trade list. My feeling of the consensus had been that we had to include Head in a trade for a PF. I like Snyder and think he's capable of more than he was allowed to show last season. But, Head's definitely worth keeping if we don't need to include him among the trade assets anymore. We probably need to make more trades to relieve the glut, but I don't see why we'd still include Head in that list.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Well, I suppose that's one way you can shed some positive light on the situation. While I agree this young group of PF's is probably better in the long run than the Howard/Hayes, Howard/Stro, etc garbage that we're used to seeing, i'm still having a tough time swallowing our new rotation due to lack of experience. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

10. pillage

pillage Member

If we're still going after players then:

1. Steve Francis
    2. Matt Barnes

Players to cut/trade to make space:

1. JL III
    2. Reed
    3. Alston
    4. Snyder
    5. Head
    6. Harris/Hayes

I really like what I've seen from Harris so far but it is just the summer league.

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I agree. I love how this Jazz series got everyone spooked about how important the PF position is in the NBA. Which it is, no doubt. However, we have Yao Ming as our center which is twice as good as pretty much any other team's center. We are so worried about guarding other teams PF when they are probably much more worried about stopping Yao Ming. The Jazz are really the only team in the league that create a mismatch for us since Okur sits at the three point line and Boozer works on Yao. If Yao was 100% healthy in that series there isnt' even a question about our PF situation. I have faith that Yao will play like he did at the beginning of last year which means we can get by with mediocre PF's. However, I don't think Scola will be a mediocre PF in this league. He will be an upgrade over Juwan and Hayes will be more improved as well as Yao. Adelman will find a way to exploit other teams trying to create a mismatch. Also, in that series Rafer won't have to chase Deron around and try to set up our offense for 44 min. a game this year. Unbelievable! :confused:

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

We're in pretty good situation...remember last year we did have alot of talent, but you all know who kinda mismanaged it and we became really one dimensional.

We pretty much have the same team, but we are going to be slightly better.

Still we must few things into consideration.
    1)Scola may not come at all...which leaves really big hole at Pf.

2) Who is our starting pg? James is not really ball handle and passer, while Rafer is a really streaky shooter.

3)Will there be more trades, because we do have a glut of players and JLIII wants to hit the road?

13. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

I like the roster pretty well at this point. Scola will be a great fit under Adelman and will make an immediate impact. He's ready. However, the Rockets' biggest weakness last year, especially in the playoffs, was toughness/rebounding. Good as he is in many areas, those are Scola's weakest areas as well. I would like to see another forward brought in.

Did anyone see the Bill Ingram story pushing a Rafer Alston for Udonis Haslem trade? He claims the Heat are "shopping" Haslem (which I doubt) and would deal him for Alston, since Alston was such a success in Miami before. (Also questionable.) Those salaries actually don't match, but throwing in Lucas makes it work, and I don't doubt the Rockets would do that after getting snubbed by Lucas in the Summer League.

Haslem's not the best F in the league, but he's a solid 4, good rebounder, and has championship experience. I would do that trade.

(I originally thought that after this trade we would sign Steve Francis with part of the MLE to address the loss of Alston, but it sounds like all of that will be gone signing Scola and resigning Hayes or Mutombo, so for good or ill, Francis is out of the picture.)

Anyway, assuming this is a real possibility and not just smoke based on a rumor, here's what the depth chart would loo like:

C: Yao, Mutombo, Butler
    PF: Haslem, Scola, Hayes, Novak, Landry
    SF: Battier, TMac, Wells
    SG: TMac, Head, Wells, Snyder
    PG: James, Brooks

This leaves us a little thin at the point, but I can live with that since the ball will be in TMac's hands so much anyway. He's a good decision maker and a great passer. Alston gave us little more than streaky shooting, steady passing, and solid (not great) defense.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I hope it will look like this:

Yao, Butler
    Scola, Hayes, Harris
    Battier, T-Mac, Barnes (MLE)
    Bonzi, (Snyder or Head)
    James, Francis (LLE), Brooks

Novak (play in D-League)
    Landry (Play in D-League)

Reed, Alston and Snyder or Head are traded. LJIII is cut.

That's a contending team right there. Absolutely loaded everywhere but the 4. We have the versitility to make up for it.

15. ced

ced Contributing Member

Rockets 07-08 roster will now consist of....

I know you can only have 15 and with the pickup of Scola and Butler things are looking real close for some players..

Here is my 15

Alston-James-Brooks
    T-Mac-Snyder-Head
    Battier-Bonzi-Novak
    Scola-Hayes-Reed
    Yao-Butler-Mutombo

.. I think Landry will be sent to the D-league

What do you think?

16. playlife

playlife Member

in before the lock :D

17. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Yao, Dikembe, Butler
    Scola, Hayes, Landry
    Battier, Bonzi, Harris
    T-Mac, Head
    Alston, James, Brooks

Get rid of: Snyder, Reed, Novak, John Lucas and Sura.

Final piece: Steve Francis at shooting guard.

18. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

no reed...landry will be in

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

and replace novak for harris

20. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Isnt that what Alston was suppose to be doing the past two seasons?