1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attn: Party 104.9 and The Box

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by surrender, Jul 2, 2007.

1. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Yeah, I like a lot of their stuff (mostly come by it by rhapsody+audacity or zshare). But I still listen to plenty of others. I'm a really eclectic music fan, I listen to a song(s) for maybe a couple days, then I jump to the next thing. Constant movement. :)

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

KPFT on Sundays...the couple hours of Blues they play is amazing. I always listen to it on the way to church.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

"ummmm they stopped making good rap 10 years ago"

"Wait? You mean there is GOOD Rap?"

"and i really cant stand a lot of the newer rap. I know im not getting that old b/c i still love a good rap song but not the mtv rap thats shovelled on us."

"After watching it I realized just how bad rap music is today. I mean, it's BAD, with few exceptions. But the kids keep buying it I guess."

:rolleyes:

Spoken like a bunch of old guys...What's good rap to you? Sugar Hill Gang? Run DMC? MC Hammer?

MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice were two of the most popular rappers of their time...so what?

There's so much good rap out right now, it's ridiculous...is it like the mid 90's when Jay-Z, Common, and everyone came along, and everyone was releasing genius debuts? No. However, now's not a ****ty time in rap music just because it's not as good as it was...everything happens in cycles.

Also...do you listen to the radio for good new rock music? Nickelback and All American Rejects? Don't listen to the radio for good new rap music either(Though there is some).

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think it is kinda sad. most of the newer groups do completely such, not matter which genre

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

man i could off on what you just said. dont have time at the moment but yeah

6. bladeage

Good rap to me.... Common, Mos Def, Jedi Mind Tricks, Talib, Chamillionaire (sometimes), Cassidy... um thats pretty much it. Ludacris was one of my favorites but hes not even trying anymore.

7. The Drake

The Drake Member

Anybody that says there's no good "new rap" hasn't picked up 'Game Theory' by the Roots. Or the new Pharoahe Monch. Common's 'Finding Forever' is coming out in a few weeks, check on that too.

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

couldn't agree more. If you think you're rap fan and you say there is no "good" rap out there anymore, then you're probably not actually a rap fan.

That isn't to say that all rap on the radio is bad either. I think a lot of people are not understanding the very strong connection Afrcan American music has to dance. It goes back to our roots, my people love to dance. People dance to beats, not lyrics. It's really the Kanyes, Dupris, Dres, Timbalands, Darkchilds, Swizzes, and Nitties out there that rule the game now. You can pair some of the sh*ttiest rappers out there with one of these guys and have an instant hit, not because the song is good to listen to, but because it's great to dance to, in the car, club, house, anywhere.

A lot of the more gifted lyricists out there choose to completely forego any kind of catchy production in favor of focusing on their lyrics. There's nothing wrong with that in itself, but these guys shouldn't be mad that their songs are not played on the radio or in clubs more often. Lyrics can only carry a song the first two or three times it's heard. After that, if you want the kiddies playing it at their parties, it damn well better have a beat people can actually DANCE to, as well. If not, then don't complain. That's probably not the audience you were looking for anyway.

9. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

mickey avalon is the greatest rapper out right now fo shure

look him up on youtube, his raps are probably nsfw

10. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Why would you just blatantly lie to the board? What have we done to you? That was just uncalled for.

11. ameet14

ameet14 Member

I think a clarification needs to be made. Rap does not suck because if you're talking about real rap, then you've got to consider Common, Mos Def, Kanye, Talib, and the less mainstream rappers.

It seems to me that most people on this thread have a problem with the current state of Hip Hop. In the past, there was at least a blend of good beats and lyrics to create a popular hip hop song. Biggie, Jay-Z, Nelly. All those guys and others were able to mix imaginative lyrics with quality beats to create a popular song. There was the simple formula of have a couple verses with a catchy hook.

Basically, the hook has taken over. Most of today's songs on the radio are simply catchy hooks with good beats. This leaves some of us rap enthusiasts that experienced the 90's wanting something substantive inbetween the hook.

Basically, hip hop has been watered down to just catchy beats and hooks. There is good rap out there, but it isn't really meant to be played on the radio cause a lot of it isn't as catchy.

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i know man. nas, common, lupe, mos def...those are classics...im talking about **** on the radio right now. you wont hear but one nas song on the radio

13. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

That right? Did you listen to Release Therapy? He actually has songs on there that actually have messages for the first time. Not just one or maybe two songs like his previous albums.

14. bladeage

I want creative rap that's fun to listen to. I don't care about messages, if I want a message I'll listen to Grandmaster Flash.

15. bladeage

I was right there with you until you mentioned Nelly. That guy is a sad sad excuse for a rapper.

16. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Kanye's new song is pretty creative:

Stronger
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvTAt20eedU

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MvTAt20eedU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MvTAt20eedU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

17. bladeage

Yea i really like that one... why can't more artists make stuff like that!

18. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

Well some of the new stuff sucks. Like ay baybay, rock yo hips, pop lock and drop it. And I heard that song the other day "suicidal." I thought WTH!! Since when has rap turned into emo music.
    But I really like "Big Thangs Poppin" and "Watch What you Say to Me" by T.I. The latter isn't played by the radio much, but it's with T.I. and Jay-Z and it's really good. Also Kanye's new album is coming out soon, and "Stronger" and "Bittersweet" off of that have been released which are both really good and different cause Bittersweet's with John Mayer.

19. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

haha well I think he is cool at least

20. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member