1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Rockets Keeping Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Diaw

Diaw Member

hem, ok, it was already posted but not in this topic, sorry :D

2. blender

blender Member

If Fernandez was really the guy the Rockets coveted, I'm surprised they didn't come up with the cash to outbid Portland. If Phoenix didn't want to swap picks, the Rockets could've gotten both Fernandez and Brooks or Landry.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

It wasn't just $3M in cash though. Rockets would've had to taken on Marcus Banks's (4yr contract) bad contract to make a comparable offer to what Portland agreed to.

Portland took James Jones (2yr contract) by giving a TE. Sura for Banks would of given a similiar sized salary dump.

Similiar offer but more costly for the Rockets in the long run.

4. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

Landry does not have T-Rex arms. His wingspan (6'11") is 3.25" inches longer than his barefoot height. T-Rex arms is a saying used for players like Yao whose wingspan is shorter than his barefoot height.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

my guess is that the naysayers have undersized pinners themselves. i guess hillboy can't fill them holes. either you have a big **** or you cannot, under any circumstances, please a woman, period.

6. Barkley

Barkley Member

FOr me Brooks looks great and I'm glad we have him. I hope he'l play (looks like he will) cause he's really good. He is so quick, so he can drive to the basket makes easy shoots (I means runners or layups) but he can also creat a lot of open positions for his temmates. He is also able to shoot that 3-pointers so I'm happy that we have him:)

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Brooks will get stuffed by anyone he tries to go around in the NBA when driving to the hoop. His speed is not going to fool any opposing center.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, because no fast guys arond 6 foot tall have been able to finish around the hoop or create for others

9. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Right and Allen Iverson sucks

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hes fast and 6 foot. he cant finish or create for others

11. AMD

AMD Member

Brooks is a good pick in spite of having so many guards. Phoenix was gonna get him at #29 and then a couple years from now when he's blowin by everybody, all the teams from #20 on will say 'damn, why didn't we get him?"

having 4 guards isn't such a bad thing. it gives us the opportunity to change up the pace any time we want. expecially with brooks' speed. Plus with the pick of Landry, it allows us to go small if we want to when Yao is out and really push the ball. Landry and Hayes could play well together because they both can run the floor and Landry can score in the block.

Both Brooks and Landry are good picks.

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

At least three of those guards are gonna get traded for a PF.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hey, have you been talking to my wife??? :)

14. HillBoy

Now that's really interesting. Did you know that Marcus Banks was originally picked by Memphis with a lottery pick they got from the Rockets for the Stevie Franchise trade?

15. HillBoy

This whole deal with getting Francis back is just too funny for words. The guy was literally run out of town on a rail and now folks are ready to welcome him back with open arms. I don't know if he's needed now that we have the mini-me version of Tony Parker (Brooks). But if they were to go out and get him then they would officially be the guards version of the Atlanta Hawks.

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

oh yeah, i've been "talking" to her alright :p

17. HillBoy

:eek:

18. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

How is he the mini-me version of Tony Parker?

Parker is what 6.1', same as Steve Nash? I doubt an inch is going to make that much difference, especially with the athleticism of Brooks and I assume better wing span.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Rockets - LOTTERY BOUND 2008. EAT IT.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

PPS is a much better indicator of efficiency. The fact Brooks takes so many more 3s is important. Laws outstanding 3 shooting (.458) was established on 83 shots, Brooks excellent 3 shooting (.404) was established on 198 shots. Given the much higher volume of 3s taken by Brooks the 46.6% to 42.9% FG difference becomes more marginal, I would bet their % from 2s is actually pretty close. Likewise the fact Brooks is a better FT shooter is important, as is Laws more fouls draw. They pretty much cancel each other out.

But again, they are not the same class of prospects, that much I agree. Nontheless their statistics are much closer to each other than the other guards taken in the first round. If Brooks was 6'3" he would have been a lottery pick like Law, no question at all.

The difference is more like .02 not .2 the last two years, like high 1.7s (Law) to low 1.7s (Brooks). In Laws junior campaign, his 1st year as a key scorer for the Aggies, he had a 1.61 ratio where Brooks had a 1.81 ratio that year. Now why was Laws better earlier in his career and then as a senior. Roles change. Why did Brooks fall his senior year relative to his junior, his role changed (primarily because of the arrival or Porter who did handle the ball a lot), and with what Kent wanted to run (pretty much orders to take the 1st good shot).

IMO Brooks is more controlled, or at least playing more within the system of what his coaches wanted, than Francis. But I agree Brooks doesn't have terrific floor sense or traditional PG instincts. If he did he would be on the level of TJ Ford with a better shot, or Chris Paul. I do not expect Brooks to become a starting PG in the NBA. But if he can be a bench sparkplug, somewhere like a combination of Chucky Atkins or Boykins, or for those who remember, Michael Adams, that player can give you 20+ contributing minutes and energize your 2nd unit.

Another player to bring up is Tony Parker. His career assists average is nothing special at 5.4. The year before last his a/TO was 1.85. He has never been better than a low 2s A/TO. Noone would confuse him with a traditional, create for others, PG. But he did respond to coaching (got lambasted by Pop much his early career) and for the most part doesn't get his team out of snych. That is the difference between him and Francis (responding to coaching), not any innate ability in Parker to be a set up guy 1st with great floor sense. Hopefull Brooks responds to coaching like Parker, not Francis. A poor mans Parker, who can get easy buckets with speed and for brief times carry the offense, would help the Rockets.

I think our biggest difference is our expectations of a 20something pick. 15-20 minutes of sparkplug offense and good shooting, if that is what Brooks does in the NBA and what our staff seems to think, is well worth the typical 26 pick.

#440 Desert Scar, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007