1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie raves about Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AussieRocket, Jul 1, 2007.

1. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

I don't know if this has been posted, but former Rocket Eddie Johnson raved about Aaron Brooks:

http://hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/index.php/2007/07/01/after-the-storm/

Aaron Brooks will become the most popular small player in the league this year. This kid can flat out score. I saw Brooks dominate two fellow draft picks last week in workouts and it was embarrassing. If Brooks was 6-5, he would have been the third or fourth player taken in this draft. That’s how good his offensive skills are.

2. bigfishnyc

bigfishnyc Member

But he's not 6'5". He will also be defended by guys who are not in the 2007 draft but by NBA veterans.

3. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I watch a lot of pac 10 basketball and know for a fact that aaron is a killer. THE TWO reasons he wasn't drafted earlier than 26 was
    1. 5'11
    2. Pac 10 Conference (late games)

I'm sure NBA scouts know about him, but teams STILL get caught up in this height game that really makes lil sense.

A guy is 6'8 so, let's think about him a lil more because he's not PROTOTYPE.
    1 inch?

Aaron Brooks can ball

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm curious to find out who the 2 guards he lit up in workouts were...

5. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

So what? So that means he's can't defend them when the ball is being pushed up the floor? The short quick ones are the ones you hate to see guarding you while bringing the ball up. If they start posting him up....that's why we have a 7'6 center.....HELP defense

6. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

It's one of these things that no matter what you do or how good you are, you are pigeonholed as "small" and that's it.

remember, Chicago traded Elton Brand for the rights to Tyson Chandler, because Brand was "small"

The comparisons with Earl Boykins are pretty wierd, too. Earl Boykins is 5-5, Brooks is 5-11. I'd say a "5-11' Earl Boykins" is a killer #26 pick, but that's just me. I guess it's much better to draft a "6-2' Luke Ridnour" at #26, the way the Lakers did last year:

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jordanfarmar.html

7. user

user Member

JL III was a killer in summer league...

8. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

Here's another favorable review:

The Rockets PG position received a big boost with the addition of speed merchant Aaron Brooks. Brooks is on the small/light side, but could turn into a steal at 26 as he's incredibly gutsy and clutch.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2007draftgrades001.asp

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Apparently the Blazers (owners of half of the picks in the draft) were gung-ho about the kid, too. He apparently worked out with Taurean Green and Tre Kelley in this workout.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2007/06/16/b1.sp.brooks.0616.p1.php?section=sports

Excerpts from the workout :

"Unbelievable player," Blazers coach Nate McMillan said. "He's quicker than the last time I saw him live."

Added Florida point guard Taurean Green, who participated in the workout with Brooks: "I'm telling everyone that he's the quickest, fastest guy I've played against."

Of the 80 players at the camp, Brooks ranked No. 14 in a series of tests that gauged, among other things, speed, agility and strength. He also measured as the shortest (5 feet, 10 1/2 inches without shoes, 5-11 3/4 with) and sleekest (161 pounds, 2.7 percent body fat).

Brooks said his body fat actually "went up" to 2.7 percent, and he's hoping to increase that figure even more.

"We've been working out hard," he said. "I definitely want to put on some more weight and more body fat, but that'll come."

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

He worked out with Coby Karl, Acie Law and Sun Yue on the 22nd.

http://draftexpress.com/workout.php

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i saw quite a bit of aaron brooks over the past few years cuz of my bruins and pac-10 ball. and this kid is by no means a slouch. he can flat out shoot and got into the lane at will. another thing that is huge is that not only can he get into the lane but he is a very strong finisher with either hand. something the rockets sorely lacked last year. his height will be a problem in the league but if the rockets can retain anything about help/team defense from van gundy then his weaknesses will be masked for the bench minutes he would play. offensively he will put pressure on the other team tremendously. think more like a bobby jackson type player, but better at going to the rim.

if you havent seen any of his games check him out, he gave me nightmares as a bruin fan in oregon. there was no surprise to me that the ducks went to the elite 8 this year largely due to his play and winning the pac-10 tournament.

12. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Brooks said his body fat actually "went up" to 2.7 percent, and he's hoping to increase that figure even more.

"I definitely want to put on some more weight and more body fat, but that'll come."

I wonder how many of us on these boards can say the same...

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Seeing that Eddie Johnson works for the PHO Suns, and Eddie said he saw Brooks last week, Alando Tucker and Petteri Koponen are likely the guys lit up by Aaron Brooks.

The Phoenix Suns worked these three out (for the second time for each of them, but first time head to head with each other) on June 26, 2007. Here is Aaron Brooks' interview after the work out (already posted in other threads):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OSsnG0lW2x0

Brooks mentioned that he also had 2nd workouts with Spurs and Kings.

14. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

2.7% :confused:

Is the guy a bodybuilder on the side and is just coming out of a show?

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think Brooks will work out but Green won't make it.

16. abundance

abundance Member

That's what confused me too. :confused:

17. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

There is no way this guy is 2.7% body fat. Always take these combine numbers with a grain of salt.

18. rocketsmetalspd

I just hope Brooks can contribute this year and RA will give not only him but all the players on the team a chance to contribute something to the team. I am sure come the playoffs our starters will not have log huge minutes during the reagular season.

19. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Well is what EJ is saying is true then i cant wait..but for now i wont jump on brooks bandwagon

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yeah, that number seems a bit extreme. Basically we know the guy is a small, lean machine. :)