1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans 2007 NBA Draft Thread (6/28/2007)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 28, 2007.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Now the logic or illogic is the Rockets must know much more than the fans. If we only knew what they knew. I hope to never be in that condition. They obviously don't know what they are doing, which is the reason they continue to stuggle to surround Yao and TMac with the right supporting cast. Two more undersized players who will be brutalized by the elite PG's and PF's of the West. There is no silver lining. So, the draft is not really that important anyway? Do any other teams feel that way? After a day of reflection, I am still stunned at the management's ineptitude. They got hosed.

2. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

im so glad this draft is over..im too overwhelmed...i just hope to see some trades in the works soon..very SOON...

3. azn perzuazn

azn perzuazn Member

We are again undersized. Why did we loose the game 7 of the Utah series? Because we can not get a damn rebound because we are undersized. If you guys noticed, the Spurs, Jazz pickep up big men and they are already big, and the Rockets.........they picked up more small men. It will be a long season.......again. :mad:

4. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

ya i feel you..but im pretty optomistic about this season i dont think we are going to be undersized...there has to be a trade on the horizon

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In terms of what you "know", how much of it is first hand information, and how much is second hand through intermediary sources?

How often have you seen Splitter play? Rudy Fernandez? Carl Landry? Can you compare Landry's offensive tendencies to Splitters?

I appreciate your position. It is very common and understandable. But can you pull out files of directly observed and uniform scouting reports on the players? If not, then while they may have made mistakes and they may be bad at making judgments, the Rockets categorically do have more information than you.

6. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

better be a trade coming :mad:

7. Panda

Panda Member

Lucas was undrafted and can't finish.

8. drich

drich Member

Houston Rockets Grade: D+
    Round 1: Aaron Brooks (26)

Round 2: Carl Landry (31), Brad Newley (54)

Analysis: New Houston GM Daryl Morey might be the resident Rocket scientist, but I don't get this draft.

Brooks is an undersized point guard who's really more of a 2-guard in the Earl Boykins mode.

Landry is tough and physical, which fits a need in Houston, but I don't think he's as good as Glen Davis, who was available.

Newley has talent, but does he really want to be a role player for the Rockets? If not, he can just stay in Australia and be a star.

Morey is smart, and he might make me look very stupid in a few years for saying this, but I think the Rockets' draft was one of the worst of the night.

don't think espn likes the picks we made this is what they said on insider

9. WildSweet&Cool

I just don't understand why the Rockets continue to add small players the the Roster.

Brooks is 5' 10. He's a friggin midget. He's two inches shorter THAN ME.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

You do realise the Rockets are out of roster space. They need to make some 2 for 1 trades or cut some players if they intend on adding a starting PF and vet backup C which they will.

After Rockets sign Hayes & Landry they'll have 4 backup PF's on the roster anyway. Reed has played most of his minutes at PF.

Another thing 54th pick is a crapshoot only one guy from the last ten drafts has made it from there and it was Hassan adams from last year's draft. Everyone else got waived and they were all ncaa guys. IMO with such low odds a project international is better than a ready college player in that situation.

11. solid

The fact they have access to more information than the fans make their draft decisions all the more ridiculous. You have to analyze and understand information. Most observers of the draft in the media consider the Rocket's choices as illadvised. I agree.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you actually read my post?

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

But your wingspan isn't 6'4". That's why we are sitting at home while he just got picked up in the first round of the nba draft.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Is there anyone else laughing at some of this? This is the NBA Draft, not the NFL. If you don't have a top 10 pick, the odds of even getting a decent role player are likely 50/50 at best. If you don't even have a top 20 pick, you're talking maybe 25 percent at best, even for a somewhat decent 20-25 mpg rotation player.

The Rockets could've pulled a Phoenix and sold pick 26 and came away with nothing, and it wouldn't have made much of a difference in the win/loss column.

Do the Rockets need help at power forward? Absolutely. But if you're counting on a rookie in almost the second round to play any kind of significant minutes there, you're setting yourself up for major disappointment. It's a need that's too important to leave up to a late draft pick... it'll be addressed with veterans.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be surprised or upset, but to act like this will have much of an impact in the W/L column for the Rockets (or any team toward the end of the first round) in the next couple years is just hilarious.

15. job

job Contributing Member

How does Portland for two consective years come away with the players we want? They maipulate the draft to get Roy and this year bought a draft pick to get Fernandez. That team is ruining us.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I can imagine moneyball fanboys are licking their wounds.

#776 wnes, Jun 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  17. solid

Yes, I understand that you were somewhat agreeing. I think I am still so upset at the Rocket's pattern of "dumb" drafts which has lasted for so many years that I am not altogether attentive. I have decided that unless we get new ownership and clean house, this is going to continue. Very disappointing. The best managed teams rise to the top. The Rockets pass on Splitter, the Spurs take him. The Spurs! Like they need to get better! The Rockets get brutalized by Utah in the first round, SO, they use the draft to get SMALLER! This defines dumb.

18. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Anything new? I am in Austin tonight - no local Houston sports updates. Did Scoop have anything to say about the draft / free agent potentials?

Please updated!!!! :) Thanks!

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Aaron Brooks had 2 workouts with each of PHX and SA. His second PHX workout came 2 days before draft day. Both these guys could use a backup PG, too, with the aging Vaugh being a FA for SA, and Marcus Banks flat out being a bust.

Unless you think these teams brought Brooks back for a 2nd workout for no reason other than to screw with the Rockets, I'd say that's a fair indication of having some interest in the kid.

2.It's not really not all that difficult to figure out why the Rockets drafted the way they did: Speed. What Brooks and Landry have in common is speed. Speed also distinguishes both of them from the other college guys favored by this board (McRoberts, Fazekas, Davis). Splitter, I believe, is a pretty decent athelete...but from what I saw Landry would still win in a footrace or a agility drill against him.

With the way the Rockets personnell is, speed is critical... the best complementary PF to Yao in the last few years has been Chuck Hayes. Why? Because he's quicker than the reast of them. We all also b****ed about how there is no penetration other than TMac. That's where Brooks eventually comes in (or maybe immediately in limited minutes).

It's about quickness, speed... it's not that hard to figure it out if you have half a brain.

20. solid

It is also about SIZE. The players in the NBA are REALLY BIG and FAST, like Utah's D.Williams. Name a PG on one the elite teams in the East or West who is the size of Brooks. Name a power forward on one of the elite teams in the East or West who is the size of Landry. No doubt, speed is critical in pro sports, but when you have both, it is better.

And you know what, the "I'm smart and everyone else is dumb" routine is getting old. Let others tell you how great you are.