1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets - Who do we take in the 2007 NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Rockets worked out Dominic McGuire yesterday. Any word on how that went? I would assume the Rockets are looking at him in the 2nd round. He doesn't quite strike me as a Josh Howard late-round sleeper, but their games coming out of college are similar.

2. YaoFanatic

YaoFanatic Member

With Morey's comments about trading up if a certain player is there, I have a trade in mind:

#26 + Rafer Alston to Atlanta for #11 (Acie Law). Both teams get what they want. Rox move up to get a legit lottery PG to end the Alston era. Atlanta gets a veteran PG in return to go along with their #3 (Horford?), #26, and 2nd round picks.

Hou: Atl:
    Law Alston
    TMac Smith
    Battier Childress
    Hayes Horford
    Yao Pachulia

I would say both starting lineups have improved with that particular trade. Law will improve on the basketball IQ area for Rox, and Alston will provide veteran leadership for their young guns.

3. BigTex

BigTex Member

Atlanta would never do that just for rafer alston

4. Sextuple Double

[​IMG]
    I see no difference

5. thedsz

thedsz Member

Josh McRoberts would be a terrific fit for the Adlemen system, just the power forward we need. Can pass, spread the floor, and rebound, very underrated athelete, but mostly it's his passing which makes him unique. Compared to a less atheletic Chris Webber... It's okay if he's soft on offense. He doesn't need to post anyways since we got Yao and Bonzi.

6. MONON

MONON Member

Everyone in the NBA knows that Atlanta needs a point guard except for Billy Knight who happens to run The Hawks. If anyone else was in charge, that trade would be made.

7. MONON

MONON Member

Maybe I was a bit harsh after reading the Draftexpress article. Bonzi and Artest waited till getting into the NBA before their antics. I should have said that Sean Williams has a gigantic head start on becoming a bigger than both head case in the NBA.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No way Atlanta does this...moving back 15 spots from #11 to #26 for Rafer Alston? The best thing for ATL to do is to stay put and draft Conley at #3 and pick up a big man at #11 (Thornton, Hawes) or just stay put and pickup Horford at #3 and Law at #11. The Hawks aren't going to the Finals anytime soon so they're better off stocking up on talent rather than giving up on talent for a veteran PG that isn't all the good.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Now this is a pipe dream and I hope it happens!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6947170

26. Rockets
    Acie Law 6-3, 190 G Texas A&M Sr.

College basketball fans will NOT be pleased if things really shake out this way. I can hear Dick Vitale screaming already. If Law is taken after a no-name Finnish guy named Petteri and a first-year guard like Javaris Crittendon, the college hoops traditionalists may truly go berserk. It'll be like Jameer Nelson after Sebastian Telfair all over again. The truth is — Law's going to be a solid NBA player. A winner in every sense of the word with a cold-blooded knack for hitting the clutch shot — he'll be a valuable addition to whichever team snags him. If Houston can grab Law at 26, their odds of getting out of the first round next year greatly improve. Simple as that.

10. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I find that offensive...

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/duffy003.asp

12. cwww

cwww Member

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

In the last twenty years or so, the only drafts that I remember being excited about were when Hakeem was taken and Yao was drafted, although I was also interested in Amare. Most Rocket's drafts were either "goofy" or huge disappointments, or both. I am not expecting much.

14. Rockets#1fan

Rockets#1fan Member

We better not pass up almond if hes available. We need a scorer and not a rookie PF

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Final Mocks:

Yahoo (DraftXpress)

26. Houston Rockets – Nick Fazekas, senior PF/C, Nevada (6-11, 225)

RealGM Mock Draft 5.1

26. Glen Davis
    Center. LSU

Carl Landry has worked out against the likes of Corey Brewer and Greg Oden, but raved to me about how great Big Baby has looked in recent weeks. He has lost upwards of 50 pounds and is moving really well. Davis has always been one of the purest ballplayers in this year?s draft and is a beast on the low block. With the very athletic options of Sean Williams and Jason Smith off the board, Davis would be the best option for Houston and might even be a better fit than those higher ranked players.

NBADraft.net

26. Houston Arron Afflalo 6-5 215 SG UCLA Jr.

Chad Ford's Mock Draft 5.0

26. Houston

Nick Fazekas
    Position: PF
    Height: 6-11
    Weight: 225
    School: Nevada

(Fazekas' previous position: Not in first round)

The skinny: Rockets GM Daryl Morey is a stats guy and Fazekas ranks very high on various sabermetric equations. They also need a power forward and a shooter ... making Fazekas an obvious pick.

And the rest here hasn't changed...

#295 Rockets34Legend, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007