1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mets would like to sign Alou

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ROCKSS, Oct 31, 2001.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

With the start of free-agent season fast approaching, the New York Mets reportedly have their sights set on Houston Astros outfielder Moises Alou.

2001 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM HR RBI R SB AVG
    136 27 108 79 5 .331

The Houston Chronicle reported Wednesday that the Mets are considering making an offer to Alou when he becomes a free agent 15 days after the conclusion of the World Series.

Alou, the National League's third-leading hitter at .331 this season, figures to be more in the Mets' price range depending on the market price for San Francisco's Barry Bonds and Oakland's Jason Giambi.

The newspaper cited an unnamed source close to the team as saying the Mets would be willing to offer a three-year deal for the 35-year-old right fielder.

Alou, who has several family members in New York, reportedly has said he would consider the Mets this winter but prefers to remain with the Astros.

The Baltimore Orioles are also believed to be interested in Alou, who could be offered as much as $10 million per season.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I will be very disappointed if the Astros do not make a competitive offer to Alou. He has been one of the most consistent players on the team and does not deserve the Derek Bell treatment.

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

4. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Alou sucks worse than Bags in the playoffs and has been bad at the end of almost every season with us. He is THIRTY something yearsa old a below average fielder who is injury prone. If he wants to sign for 3 million a year fine, he aint worth THIRTY million dollars.

We have a very cheap replacement in D Ward, then we can spend cash on a younger more reliable player, or even better yet locking up some of our young guys to longer term contracts, like the A's have done.

Tah-tah Alou!

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm not going to start a thread about this but why the hell are Astros interviewing Round Rock's manager?

The Astros just don't get it.

6. Major

Major Member

<B>I'm not going to start a thread about this but why the hell are Astros interviewing Round Rock's manager? </B>

I'm sure many people said the same about Joe Torre and the Yankees. Manager don't win WS, players do. :)

More seriously, though -- I'd guess it's a respect thing. In two minor league seasons, he won two division titles and a "ring". If we're going to interview Pena, they've got to interview Moore, even if they have no intention of hiring him.

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Like they did with Jason Giambi?

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jackie Moore has major league managerial experience with the A's and has been a succesful minor league manager in the Astros system. They certainly owe it to him to consider him for their position. It is one way to continue to attract quality folks to your organization. If there is a perceived path to the majors then you can continue to get good people to work for you.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I think we could survive alou leaving, but he's been very solid for us and I'd like him to be in our outfield. It Just doesn't look good right now. If the plan is to get some speed in Center field, then I'd have to say he's pretty much gone whethere he likes it or not. Personally, I'd like to see Ward out there. He's proven he can be clutch in the playoffs. And boy do we need that. With god pitching it only takes one clutch hit to break the game in your favor. Then you put Barker in to finish the game defensively.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Jackie Moore has done a tremendous job at developing the Astros' young prospects at Round Rock. He has led the team to the best AA record in each of the last two years. I for one would like him as the next manager even though he's not as big a name as most of us would like. Anybody but Jimy (or "Jy-mee" as Rome calls him) Williams. That guy had no control over his team in Boston.

As for Moises, he was a b**** last year. Remember the time when he chewed out Berkman for not running hard? Yet he himself was often seen not running hard on easy outs and not chasing down foul balls. He's old, and he's slow, and his clutch hitting days are behind him. We could get two quality players for what he's worth.

The first priority is to acquire a speedy, defensive-minded center fielder with a high OBP. Someone along the lines of a Juan Pierre, Kenny Lofton, or Johnny Damon. Move Hidalgo to right, and keep Lance in left. Also, find a replacement for Lugo. The Astros proved that they cannot manufacture runs. I would like for us to also go after Nevin, Rolen, or Cirillo at third. We don't need a bunch of swing for the fences guys. We need guys who can move up runners, and drive in runs. Bill Spiers will be missed.

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

If anyone, for even a brief moment thinks that Drayton McLane is going to pony up the jack and consider bringing back Moises Alou to the Houston Astros, I have one piece of advice for you:

DREAM ON!!

McLane's Wal-Mart philosophy means that Alou is gone with his $10 + Million a year, and Daryle Ward steps in and hits .280 next year. We dont have a Rockefeller throwing out the dough (a la Yankees, Orioles, Mets, D-backs, Dodgers).

So that means we get to DRY up our farm system with players who are destined for greener pastures (Daryl Kile, Mike Hampton).

Say what you want about the smaller market clubs having a shot at the pennant (see 2001 Oakland A's), but the reality is these teams are one maybe two hit wonders (Jason Giambi will sign with the New York Yankees this offseason).

DD

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. Isn't Giambi on the verge of resigning with the A's?? Thought I heard that the other day on the radio.

2. Alou should be gone if he's going to command $10 million. He's too old to justify that type of investment, in my opinion. I'd rather start doing what the Indians did in the early-90's and locking up young guys to long-term contracts.

3. ..."with players headed for greener pastures." -- to be fair, Drew, you named two players. The Astros have done a pretty good job of keeping key players...most of the other teams in the league have lost two key players in the last ten years to free agency or otherwise.

4. i would agree that the small market/big market problem must be corrected in order to insure a competitive league.

13. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

I agree Drayton is a tight ass with money, but not signing Alou is NOT being cheap, it is being SMART.

You dont sign THIRTY-SIX year old injury proned outfielders, ESPECIALLY when you have a legitimate (lefthanded) replacement!

As for the big market/small market. Here is where the payrolls of the playoffs teams ranked
    payroll rank - team
    1. Yankees
    5. Indians
    6. Braves
    9. Diamonbacks
    10. Cards
    12. Seattle
    18. Houston Astros
    29. A's

Average 11.25

While payroll when used properly can lead to prolonged World Series runs, it is NOT even close to being the only ingredient. Only big market team who is dominating is the Yankees, the others are flopping around. You can assemble a team with as much talent as ANYONE in the league with a middle of the pack payroll. It all starts with your minor leagues, always has and always will. The teams with the best farm systems and best management will win out in the long run, despite salary restrictions.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

yes a good farm system is important but baseball needs some sort of a salary cap or revenue sharing deal

Just wait next yr once florida and soon after if oakland has to sell off its outstanding young talent-that should anger EVERYONE

Yes the yankees have good baseball people but i guarantee if you give a team like oakland NY's payroll, they would be a perennial world series team too, because they have an excellent general manager