1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mark Berman] Bonzi Is Staying

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ottomaton, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen this posted. The title says it all. According to Mark Berman, Bonzi's agent told him that Bonzi will not opt out on the second year of his contract. Bonzi will be here next year for the $2.8 mil.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r778DzNgZ5Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r778DzNgZ5Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

#1 Ottomaton, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Any link? Good news if true.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#3 Ottomaton, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  4. SlizardOO

SlizardOO Member

Thats awesome!!

James/Alston
    Tmac/ ??
    Shane/Bonzi
    ??/Chuck
    Yao/ Mutombo

we just need a power forward and another wing player, and then we'll have a good deep core.

5. Rockets#1fan

Rockets#1fan Member

Thats a good thing. We need him to make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting the report Ottomaton.

Interesting atleast. Morey made it sound like it was pretty definite that Bonzi was going to be back. I'm sure Bonzi's camp will spin it that he believed in Houston, Adelman, T-Mac, etc. .... but truth is he likely didn't get anything offered that was bigger than that amount.

7. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

Great news for the Rockets. Hope Bonzi plays a full season hard!

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

in any case, I'm glad he's staying, there is no downside by having him stay for that cheap

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Teams can't negotiate with free agents yet.

10. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

whose minutes will bonzi eat into...head mac battier hayes novak james or alston (thought they may play both pgs together some)

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

"negotiate" - whatever, they always do.

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I know this for sure, if JVG and the roxs had beaten the jazz, and lost in the 2nd round or in the west finals...JVG would still be the coach and Bonzi would not be returning.

But, I'm sure his options were limited as you mentioned too.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

That say's a lot about what other clubs think of his act! :(

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It has been reported that Bonzi's agent has been "testing the waters" through informal means to see what kind of a market there is for him. That is what Clutch meant.

15. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

Not true. Bonzi said a few weeks ago that he respected JVG a lot and that it was his fault things didn't work out, and that he wanted to be back in Houston, but he'd test the market first. As Clutch said, no team will pay him more than the 3 million that he's owed this year.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

after the year bonzi had, no one will offer more than that amount anyway. at least here he's on a playoff team with a coach that he likes.

by the way, adelman is pretty insistant on playing bonzi at SG. he says when he's a SG he has a great advantage on the block that isn't there against SF's.

if that's the case then i could see our depth chart this way:

yao
    hayes
    shane-novak-snyder-reed
    tmac-bonzi-head-sura
    james-rafer-billy-lucas

it's pretty clear that a few guards will be on the move in the coming weeks. billy, head, snyder, sura, and #26 can all be moved for frontcourt help IMO.

17. BBall Scientist

$2,284,200 can't get a better deal than that if you're the Rockets. Also by playing another year it would mean that next off season he could be re-signed without having to use the MLE.

So right now the team looks something like this:

PG James/Alston/Lucas
    SG McGrady/Wells
    SF Battier/Novak
    PF______/Hayes/Reed
    C Yao/Mutombo/_____

I'm sure they will re-sign Hayes and Mutombo. I'm not sure about Tsakalidis, I think they will replace him with a free agent or draft pick if they can do it cheaper than re-signing him, if not then they re-sign him.

I am not listing Spanoulis because we don't know yet, but I would really hope he comes back because unlike most fans here I would really like a James/Spanoulis combo at point guard, and then we could move Alston and Head, whom I also left out because I think he's just too one-dimensional and he's good trade bait.

I'd be happy if they just got Spanoulis back and they tried to package the 26, Head, and Alston for a PF. That would be a heck of a team.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Other than another potential waste of team time and resources and rotation playing time... you're right. Relatively low risk, high reward. But this year, Bonzi needs to come in to camp with something to prove. If that ESPN report about only giving $2 million worth is true, I'm turned off by the "org" paying him again. But let's hope he gets it together.

Exactly. Thanks rimbaud.

19. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Man I hope Battier isn't starting for us next season.

The lineup as of now should be:

PG: James/Alston
    SG:Wells/Head
    SF: Mac/Battier
    PF: X/Hayes
    C: Yao/Deke

20. BBall Scientist

I think the big difference is that last year, while a contract year, was a year where he was simmering over that $38.5 million deal he lost.

This year is a contract year where he knows dang well he better put up or it will be no more chances again at a big cash out. Also, Bonzi does know contract years as evidenced in the past. In other words, when it comes to Bonzi it's all about the Benjamins as they say. Bonzi didn't produce last year largely because he was being adversely affected over losing that money, whereas the previous year he shined much more so than he normally does because he was dreaming of a big pay day.

This year he knows the chips are up, so I would say that it would be the year after this year, if the Rockets re-signed him, where he would be more likely to again not care. It's sad, but unfortunately this is the way some of these athletes are.