1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

playing or coaching experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Jun 20, 2007.

1. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

everyone chime in...what was the highest level you played basketball at? what is the highest level you coached at? just trying to surmise the experiences every one has had. ill start...played and coached small college basketball.

2. Astockmarketgod

2 years NBA...

3. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

what college?

4. AggieRocketFan96

Played high school ball in a Texas 4A school. Played intramurals winning the Class B and Class A championships in college. While in the service, attempted to coach a unit team leading them to an 0-6 record. Needless to say, my coaching career came to an abrupt halt. Young guys that only like streetball are hard to coach.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

played in the nba. 10 time all star. 13 straight championships.

nba 2k7

6. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

no one wants to fess up and talk about their experiences...thats ok...just want to know who has really played or coached because it does shape your perspective on basketball...ie everyone calling yao or mac soft...jvg dumb, cd smart, rudy a players coach etc

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

What's the point here? To make everyone else look ignorant? We're all just educated observers to some extent. Small-college ball doesn't make you an expert on the NBA. It sure as hell doesn't make you an expert about CD, whom you keep bashing. Last time I checked, there was no such thing as a GM in college ball. So please spare us the arrogance. You're in over your head.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe there are people on here calling JVG "dumb"... if there are, those people aren't too bright. Van Gundy is very smart, excellent defensively, has the respect of his players and he doesn't let the players run the show.

The problem though is he is stubborn. Rotation had little flexibility and even less in the playoffs.

And while CD did make mistakes while JVG was here, he did get him Battier. Had we kept Rudy Gay (or Thabo Sefolosha), we may have been better off long-term, but under JVG, what would Gay/Sefolosha have done except see a lot of pine?

I like JVG ... very good coach. Loved his humor. I wish it had worked out. But there definitely were flaws.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

nba dish worthy? maybe hangout? I'm a soccer player myself, high school and men's leagues. I was never good at basketball, i just watch, a lot, no i mean a whole lot.

10. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

who are you?

11. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

...lol

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Little Dribblers for grades 3-6
    7th Grade Basketball
    8th Grade Basketball (I was the 11th man on an undefeated team)
    Freshman Basketball (I was the top low post sub, as our two best players went to varsity)

I quit after that because it was clear we had too much talent (or perhaps I had too little) for me to even sniff varsity.

In college, I dominated pickup games and was a force on several intramural teams, giving particularly hard fouls to frat boys.

I also reffed some intramural leagues for some extra college income.

Finally, I shook Rick Barry's hand once.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Did you ever think of bronzing the sucker?

14. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

Rick probably would have been pissed if someone tried to bronze his hand.

Now back on topic - who here has coached for the Rockets??

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

played and coached D1 ncaa.

...not that it makes a difference regarding my knowledge of the nba game or general management of an nba team.

by the way... wrong forum?

16. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

Played 3 years in high school.

Coached middleschool.

17. tsunami

tsunami Member

would you please provide any proof?

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Isiah Thomas was one of the best NBA point guards of all time, coached a NBA team, was a GM, and owned a pro basketball league. It doesn't stop him from being a dufus.

19. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

i never did much but my dad played for the pacers!

20. YaoFanatic

YaoFanatic Member

I played intramurals in college. I took a basketball PE class too just for fun and it sure was. But my favorite experiences were meeting Jason Kidd and Shareef Abdur-Rahim while they were at Cal. Really nice guys even before they became NBA superstars, but everyone knew it was a foregone conclusion.