1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yi Jian Lian to enter NBA 2007 Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by kingkow, Nov 2, 2006.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

2. bigfishnyc

bigfishnyc Member

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.sigdomain.com/draftexpress_3.mp3

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2007/06/yi-jianlians-age-nba-employment-and.html

5. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

MacGreat, I think you are an absolute joke. You come in with snide remarks - with absolutely no back-up proof, mind you - and its remarkable to me that people are still responding to your ridiculous attacks on Pryuen.

Pls do yourself a favour and say something remotely adult once in a while eh?

6. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

Hard to determine is real age.

His parents were married in 1985 so he is most likely younger than 25. Having children out of wedlock is extremely rare in China, so the 1987 date may be accurate.

But then again there's this article :

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101030908/xyi.html

from August 2003. He would only be 15 at the time and already 6'11". Is that possible?

At the end of the linked article, there some speculation about his true age. I would say he is between 19 and 22.

8. WNBA

WNBA Member

[​IMG]

"I am not telling you my age"

[​IMG]

"For my advantage, I want you thinking that I am 22"

9. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

What a low and mean sniper you're. Always have to d@$$ me like that. :rolleyes:

BTW, what hooroo posted was not necessarily a negative review of Yi Jianlian.

Yi Jianlian's age has always been a mystery; it was not the first time, and it will not be the last time that it was brought up. It has been a hotly discussed topic for all these years if you followed Chinese or international basketball.

You think all those scouts and GMs are idiots to continue courting to pick him if Yi Jianlian's age is a concern?

Even if his age is falsified (which is difficult to prove), do you think the CBA, Guangdong Hongyuan Tigers, Dan Fegan, the team that eventually got the blessing from China to pick Yi and NBA will just sit and do nothing to let US Department of Home Security deport him?

#409 pryuen, Jun 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  10. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

You know what people say, don't mud-wrestle with pigs, they like it. There are always pretentious internet jerks with fragile egos and frustrated lives in the real world. They aren't worth your responses.

11. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Why has nobody answered my question yet?? :rolleyes:

Is Yi's Dad's name George Jian Lian?

12. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

If Yi's Dad's name is George Jian Lian, then Yao's dad's name should be Jamal DeMarcus Ming, and Wang Zhizhi's dad's name would be Xavier Zachary Zhizhi.

13. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

If you do not know the answer to my query please refrain from dilly-dallying. :mad:

Once again, I repeat: Does ANYONE know if Yi's dad's name is George Jian Lian???

14. njsun

njsun Contributing Member

Ha ha, ...

I know you are referring once a poster make up a story, say he met Yao's father. But that guy eventually exposed himself by claiming Yao's dad name is George Ming....

That is when Yao just join Rocket, not many people even knew 'Yao' is last name.

15. pryuen

Roll back to Page 14 of this thread, and you will get the answer.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=2953927&postcount=272

Yi Jianlian's father's name is Yi Jingliu 易景流, a former handball provincial representative for Guangdong. His mother, Mai Meiling 麦美玲, was also a handball player for Guangdong province.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Ya, I also have doubts about this. China did not seem to gain anything from his age change -- he played in the world youth game in 2003 -- (he would qualify even if he was born in 1984). He did not gain crap either -- if he was born 1984, he would qualify to enter draft in 2005, with the weak draft that year, he may have a better shot to be drafted high...

I don't know, it could happened. But why you change age to hurt yourself. That's what I don't get...

17. pryuen

Well, it is NOT that the players themselves wanted to change their age.

It is their coaches or owners of the municipal or provincial teams they belonged to that changed their ages in order they could compete in lower age group competitions, both domestic and international. In China, when municipal or provincial teams won major domestic tournaments (say gold medal in the National Games) or regional tournaments (like Asian Games or Asian Championship) or international tournaments (World Championship or Olympics), the sports bureaus of provinces, cities, the particular teams and the players got monetary or materialistic rewards (e.g. villa, cars, etc.).

So it is about $$$$$$ after all.

18. pryuen

Well, age fraud for basketballers from China is not news. It is fact. It is public secret and common practice that China in the past for various reasons did lie about basketballers' age.

CBA admitted it themselves, and had started implementing new policies trying to rectify the situation.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's called cheating. Players get pressured to change their age. The advantage is gained from playing against younger opponents in international youth competitions. Sometimes having a silverware winning youth team is more important to organisations when the senior team doesn't medal.

Ersan Ilyasova is another NBA player who carries controversy about his age.

20. pryuen

An indepth draft preview on Yi Jianlian on the Atlanta Hawks Basketblog.