1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yi Jian Lian to enter NBA 2007 Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by kingkow, Nov 2, 2006.

1. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

:confused: At least all the UF players are there. There are two groups in the camp -- those actually play and those just there for physical. I believe Yi supposely is there for physical. Just haven't heard anything about him.

2. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Yes, that is correct. All the players that are in the draft are going to be at the predraft camp for physicals, but that is routine. What I meant by my post is that none of the top 10 projected players will be participating in the games that they have been playing for the last 3 days.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Watching Yi's CBA and National Team tapes, he reminds me of Stro Swift. Very impressive atheleticism, but you always think he should be doing more than he actually does, given all that atheleticism.

4. prv1981

There is no doubt in my mind that he will be better than stro. He can already shoot better than stro. He can put the ball on the floor and shoot of the dribble. Those are two things that I never saw stro do while with the Rox. Stro just did not have a strong mind and overall skillset. From what has been shown so far reagrding yi, he already has a higher skillset than stro. The mindset is what will end the comparisons. My prediction is that it will not even be close. Yi > Stro.

5. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Guess that is not true...

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2890194&name=ford_chad

6. prv1981

Thanks for the insider info. I had read something before camp regarding him possibly not attending and after reading your post I guess it was true. My first inclination was to think that he would in fact be there to participate in the physicals only portion. I guess there is more to the draft agent/gm game than meets the eye.

7. YaoYoYao

YaoYoYao Member

thanks ... I think that's a smart move for Yi to allow "selected viewing" LOL

The most important thing for him is to land in a city with a big Asian crowd, high drafting pick means little to him, especially when No.1 & 2 spot are already taken.

8. Sextuple Double

Potential to be better than Yao!!?? WTF!!??

9. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

So is Yi's dad really George Jian Lian? :confused:

10. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

new vid

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSlQXnIVD0w"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSlQXnIVD0w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Does anyone play defense in the video? All the defenders part like the Red Sea. How many techs is he going to get for continually hanging on the rim?

12. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Nah those shades were free from his good buddy Juwan Howard :cool:

13. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

14. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I think his agent's strategy of not letting him to Orlando camp is backfiring. Don't be surprised that he drops to teens.

15. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

I hope he does drop so the Warriors can get him.

16. richter911

richter911 Member

17. bigfishnyc

bigfishnyc Member

He will be top 5.

18. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well, that is the whole purpose for skipping the physicals at the Orlando camp....

In a press conference yesterday, Dan Fegan explained that whether Yi will be picked at #3, #4 or #9 or #10 or even lower does not really matter. The publicity/awareness that he has generated ever since coming to USA already raised the eyebrows of scouts and GMs. The most important thing to do is that he needs to be picked by a team that suits his play style, with guaranteed play minutes.

So rather to have him joined the physicals in Orlando, Fegan had started to arrange private workouts/trials with Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Milwaukee Bucks, Golden State Warriors and Chicago Bulls for Ah Lian.

19. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Drafted at lower position will give him guaranteed playing time??? You got it all wrong. If anything, higher draft position means the team will have higher committ level to this player, which translated to more tolerance of his mistakes and -- yes, that's right MORE PLAYING TIME.

Draft is like a crap shoot, you never know what you are going to get.

20. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Did you ever visit Warriors' forum? You probably did not, otherwise you probably would not say this...