1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who can we get for MLE?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbball, Jun 3, 2007.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

With all the trade talk, people forget we can use our MLE. Anybody on the radar? If the Rashard-Battier trade is true, and the Juwan-James rumors are true, we will be in desperate need for a PF. Who? Someone brought up Amir Johnson, who has been pretty impressive when given significant playing time for such a youngster.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't know, and frankly doubt, whether or not we can get him for the MLE, but target #1 should be Maurice Williams.

Big men to target include Andersen Varejao (though he's restricted, and Cavs would match, I think), McDyess, Matt Barnes (more of a SF), Chris Mihm, Mikki Moore, Joe Smith, Corliss Williamson, etc.

Amir Johnson is restricted, so the Pistons can match offers....that said, other than "potential", I don't know why you'd stretch to sign him - he's played in 11 career games.

3. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I say we of offer our MLE and prey mo williams takes it. He would be that 3rd scorer we need, along with better PG play.

4. htownbball

htownbball Member

who all can offer more than MLE? and if a team matches, does the player automatically go back to the original team? or can he choose to accept whichever offer?

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If a team matches he has to go back to the original team. This happened with the Rockets when Golden State matched their offer for Marc Jackson.

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Use of our MLE really depends on who we draft -- if we even have a draft pick because of possible trades.

If we acquired Rashard Lewis -- which I don't think is grounded in reality -- then we probably would lose our pick. However, assuming Bonzi moves on or remains under contract, we could split the MLE to acquire some young players like C. J. Miles (6-6 SG from Dallas), Amir Johnson (6-9 PF) or Shavlik Randolph (6-10 PF). (Edit: Forget Randolph -- he's under contract for one more year, but you know what I mean).

If we somehow in a dream world acquired Lewis and kept our draft pick, then I would vote for a Sean Williams to scoop up rebounds. Josh McRoberts, Rudy Fernandez, etc. will already be gone by #26.

#6 thumbs, Jun 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  7. two-sandwiches

I want Varajeo, but the MLE won't work. Mo williams, but the MLE won't work.

What about Pollard for the MLE? He's old but knows the system, and could be a relieve for Yao at times, as well as an enforcer besides Yao.

The thing about now is wondering if guys like Jho and hayes will benefit from a new offensive scheme.

maybe we can just add another big body and use our brains for a new PG......or vice versa.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Just nit-pickin' ya...Rashard can't be a draft day trade because he has no contract with SEA. Only players with contracts can be traded. He can be SnT'd after July 11th.

IOW...you pick for your teams' needs at the time disregarding SEA and Rashard.

:)

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Ah, you've "reined" in my parade. Remember, Disney is usually my guide through Fantasyland. :D

10. enigmacx

enigmacx Member

Pollard, is that you?

If we use MLE on Pollard, this is going to be terrible for rox. :mad:

11. two-sandwiches

I definiely mean for the whole MLE, and only if Adelman felt comfortable that JHo and Hayes were a surprising fit, and if at best, could backup Hayes and an aquired PF.

Sorry i didn't convey this well enough the first time....waking up still I guess......

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the MLE will be entirely predicated on what spot we can fill with our draft pick AND if we make a big trade move like the Rashard deal. What holes are open then?

If we make a big Rashard splash, then we are outlaying a lot of money. So at that point I dont see us signing ONE big MLE player. To me we would then be filling holes in our rotation on the bench. Example, if we move Howard for Mike James, then we would have a hole at PF. Maybe then we look at guys like Joe Smith, Marc Jackson, Corliss Williamson, Mikki Moore. They would get like HALF of the MLE on very limited years.

If the Rockets can get Rashard, this is where MoreyBall could really come into play if Morey can find decent talent at CHEAP prices that fit into a cap situation that would have Yao/Tmac/Lewis on the roster.