1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daniel Gibson entering draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rikesh316, Apr 24, 2006.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Of course. :rolleyes:

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For me, the surprise with Gibson is his scoring ability. He showed it in college but you never know how well that will translate into the NBA, especially with getting off a shot at his size and the longer 3 point line. His driving to the basket and drawing fouls so successfully also exceeded my expectations. Let's see how long Gibson can ride this playoff wave and how he responds next season with greater expectations on his back.

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Is it me, or did this kid just scored 31 points on 9 FGAs??! :eek: :eek: :eek: in the Eastern Conference Finals to eliminate the PISTONS?!!?>_< :eek: :eek:

Uhh...

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The next Jason Terry-- whoda thunkit.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I didn't think Gipson was ready for the NBA....I was wrong.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Hahaha looks like a lot of you guys were wrong.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Hometown kid Boobie Gibson refused to work out for Houston Rockets (from espn daily dime). Wow, the Rockets must have a bad rep for rookies. :p

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Here's an article that sheds light on his reasoning to come out early: Link

To sum it up, an informal agreement was reached between he and the Cavs, with Gibson dropping all other planned workouts. They would pick him either at #25 or #42, the latter being the case after Shannon Brown fell in the draft. As a "reward," he received as good of a 2nd round deal as any player- two years guaranteed at about 1$ million per. It was a very shrewd move by Gibson. He knows the kind of salary ceiling he can reach, so being in the right situation enables him to hit it quickly, only needing to pass a litmus test, rather than the 4-year examination endured by first rounders. If he couldn't cut it in the right situation, then the room for error argument associated with being a first rounder becomes irrelevant. He's taken a giant leap in this series; and barring a second year collapse- he just needs to average 10-12 points like Luther did- he'll be selling high.

I didn't expect it to work, but it's a trend I expect to continue.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Barnes was the problem but you can't fault him...so how was he problem then? Barnes' had the best big man in the NCAA and didn't get to use him the season before (hip injury). Like you said, you can't fault him for catering to his big guys.

Not sure how you can say college is a guards game when Florida just won 2 Championships with Noah and Horford leading the way each time. UNC won with Sean May being the main focus, as well as Okafor and UConn. I wouldn't say it is just a guards game.

You're absolutely right that Gibson needed to grow into a pass 1st PG, and that's exactly why he didn't really improve statistically. Gibson played SG his freshman season and like you posted, he could rely on penetrating and scoring. When he moved to PG, he was in charge of setting up the offense and wasn't getting the same open shots or opportunities when there was a PG doing for him.

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

This guy sounds pretty good, we should draft him.

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

If you all want to crown his ass, then crown his ass, but I'll wait (and hope) he does something against the Spurs before I consider him a success.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ya I can't fault him there. It just hurt Gibson's stock. A lot. Not that it mattered to Texas fans.

15. uchlha

uchlha Member

lol joke?

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm glad this worked out for him but he put a lot of trust in the Cavs organization. NBA teams don't always keep their word and this is a risky tactic for a low profile draftee.

17. ymc

ymc Member

I am sure this is due to JVG's reputation of not playing rookies. :mad: :mad: :mad:

18. Pocket Rockets

well at least we don't have to worry about that holding us back anymore.

19. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

i told everyone daniel gibson would be a good player in the league when he first entered the draft. at first, everyone shook their head at me but now everyone is silent.

daniel gibson is the man.