1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should We Execute Pedophiles?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KDavis, May 30, 2007.

1. Cesar^Geronimo

That's the second time today this board made me laugh at something I'm ashamed I laughed at.

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

...I thought you were asking a question "for those anit death penalty" : "do you really think its better to keep them locked up until they die?"

Have you switched it to something else?

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

If a pedophile knew that if he was caught, his sentence would be to work as a gigolo at a nursing home for 30+ years, pedophilia would disappear overnight.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or the threat of having their junk and or thumbs removed.

5. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i have no idea what you are saying... :confused:

i was just looking for someones opinion who differs and what their reasons were .

6. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

I think castration is a viable alternative, instead of the death penalty in these cases... Plus, it everyday reminder that what they did carries consequences. We don't execute drunk drivers (that cause fatalities)...

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

There was one crime being discussed in this thread.

I told you why I thought they should be put away for life, and why it didn't matter if someone considered it "overly punishing" them ( which is why I put that in quotation marks), because it was about prevention.

You began by asking why it was better to put someone in prison for life, rather than just kill them, and even said that leaving them in their cell was equal to the inhumane treatment of animals. Now you are no longer talking about this, but are debating whether someone has the right to live. That's a completely different discussion.

8. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

is that what jail is for?? prevention? i thought it was designed more for changing of behaviour.

i didnt bring up 'right to live' someone else did i just followed a long.

but im still open for why its better for someone to sit in a cell for the rest of his life with no possibility for parole, rather than just being killed right away?

side note, consider pedophiles are targets in jail, too.

9. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

If they are in prison for life then the progression of their behavior doesn't matter.

"Someone else" did? Cool... But that was one part of an answer to your original question, and you changed the discussion by choosing that part to talk about.

"I don't believe in killing another human being out of vengeance. They shouldn't be allowed to live anywhere where they have even the smallest chance to harm another person, however."

"I am against the death penalty, in general, but I don't think their punishment should be any less than what a murderer receives. Solitary confinement for life, maybe..."

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Slowly killing someone over thirty years
    versus
    Killing then in 3 minutes

Actually. . . Banishment is my preference

DUde, you got 3 wks to find a country to take you . . . After that
    you on your own . . . buy a ticket and get there
    If not . .. we put you on a boat. . and Push
    you come back . .you can be killed onsite by basically any one
    because u are PERSONA NON GRATA here
    You will have no rights that must be a observed

Rocket River

11. Cesar^Geronimo

Excellent --- unleash them on the children of some other country

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Anyone ok with chemically castrating pedophiles?

Seems like an alternative better than death....

13. langal

langal Contributing Member

yes we should kill them.

14. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Who cares. Under current Supreme Court precedent, only a few special types of murder can be constitutionally tried as capital cases. That's not changing anytime soon.

15. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Chemically?

How about an old rusty barn knife, then throw them in a tub of rubbing alcohol?

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Castration, chemical or physical, in conjunction with a moderate period of confinement in a mental health facility.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Only if you perform every procedure.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

* Why is life without parole slowly killing someone? There is life to be lived in prison -- people to talk to, meals to eat, thoughts to think, things to read and write, gods to worship. Just because your movement and routine are severely limited doesn't mean you aren't living in the mean time.

* I don't see anything exceptionally wrong with applying capital punishment to heinous child-rape crimes. My one concern is that what society considers the worst-of-the-worst does tend to facilate a little. In the 70s, the worst thing you could be is a heroin-dealer; cop-killer eventually overtook it. Pedophile seems to be enjoying its moment in the sun. Who knows which one is next. If pedophiles get the death penalty, the next worst-non-murder-crime-you-can-commit is more likely to get it too. So there may end up being a capital punishment creep with more and more crimes punishable by death.

* Chemical castration seems acceptable to me and I find it ironic that it would likely run into more constitutionality problems than a death penalty would.

* There are several justifications for prison and other forms of punishment, among them: deterrence, rehabilitation, incapacitation, and justice. It is interesting to see posters come in with their own pet reason and ignore other motivations the state might have for killing or imprisoning or castrating a criminal. Execution excels at incapacitation, may help with deterrence and justice, but is terrible for rehabilitation. Prison does rehab better, incapacitation worse, and the other 2 are a toss-up. Castration has potential for best rehab, at least decent on deterrence and justice, but bad on incapacitation. You've got to pick your poison -- how much risk are you willing to assume for the criminal's sake; how much justice are you willing to sacrifice to achieve your aims in social order?

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

There are four purposes for punishment: Deterrence, rehabilitation, incapacitation, and vengeance. It has been proven multiple times that the Death Penalty is not a deterrent. By definition, it cannot be rehabilitation. It is incapacitation, but no more so than life imprisonment. It is certainly revenge, and my religious beliefs don't allow me to take that.

Life imprisonment has the same effect of incapacitation, so I think that it covers all of the same purposes for punishment as the death penalty except for vengeance.

#39 weslinder, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  20. cson

cson Contributing Member

let the parents of the victim decide ?

I say this because I could not come to a conclusion:

I think/say I am against murder and this includes capital punishment.
    However, as a father , if you raped my child I'd slaughter you.

I think I feel that forgiving the unforgivable is noble, but pretty sure I couldn't.