1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dentist Recomendations & Cost?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rusHour, May 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I havnt been to the dentist since I was younger and I am pretty much in a desperate situation where I have to go see one now.

Its been a rough month.
    I get married on the 1st during vacation, come back from vacation on the 5th with physical issues you dont want to know about, right as I get over those I get sick (which started out looking like the flu) for a couple weeks, which continues into having some mouth issues. Some of the issues (white tounge)Im having with my mouth come from being sick, oughing up a lung every other minute and not eating but the others, I think is for a dentist to see.

Anyone have any dentists they recommend? Im dreading the pain I could have to deal with after he/she diagnosis what the problem is.

Im also dreading the cost since my work dosnt/hasnt offered dental coverage. If anyone can give me an average estimate on different things they have had done it would be appreciated. I think Ive read here and there that some offices offer some kind of payment plan.

Thanks in advance.

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Here is my dentist. He's on the NW side of town behind Perry's restaurant.

Michael J. Landry, DDS, FAGD
    Consultants, Dental Aesthetics
    9720 Cypresswood Drive
    Suite 200
    Houston, TX 77070
    Phone: 281-370-8786

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I hope you don't have to have a crown or root canal done. My wife had 2 crowns done recently and it cost us close to $800 out of pocket (insurance did pay $700). It's not fun to get eaten alive by dental bills, even when you have insurance. :eek: :eek: :(

4. rusHour

Actaully I had a feeling it could be something like that. Its been so uncomfortable to eat lately that sometimes I just get frustrated and dont. I think Ive lost about 10lbs the last 2 weeks or so. Thanks for reassuring me that its not going to be a big dent in the pocket book :rolleyes: I guess I was hoping for someone to tell me they know of an office that takes plans or something...

...sigh. its been a rough month

5. Fatty FatBastard

Actually, I have a plan that covers pre-existing conditions (which is what it sounds like you have) up to $2,000. But it runs $70/month.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If you havent been to a dentist since you were younger and you're having oral issues, its safe to say that the dollars are going to add up. Here are a list of approximate costs:

Crown: 600-2000 per tooth depending on crown material (porcelain fused to metal, gold, ceramic)

Root Canal: 500-800 per tooth

Fillings: 75-200 per tooth. It also depends on which teeth and how many surfaces of each teeth have decay. I'd say the average person that hasnt seen a dentist in a long time (5+ years) probably has about 5-6 teeth that could use restorations.

Bridge: 500-800 per tooth involved.

Keep in mind that each tooth that needs a root canal also needs a crown and some other costs such as a build up or post...which essentially means that each tooth that needs a root canal would cost about 1500.

The cost of dental care is very high, so hopefully you can find something relatively cheap. I would give you the names of a few dentists I know, but their costs are higher than what I listed.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dr. Tran on Bellaire

713-778-0100

He is really good and really cheap.

8. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Madeline Montes
    7002 Quince St.
    Houston, TX 77087
    713-643-4494

I don't know her rates, but she is much cheaper than my previous dentist and very easy on the eyes.

9. rezdawg

uhhh, but she's a female.

I keeed, I keeed!! :p

10. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

I was actually going to start a thread on this, before I had my privileges removed for the Mike Bibby thing...

but anyways. I go to my dentist today, and I ask how much his teeth whitening costs. $500! I was like, wow.

I know there was a thread started earlier on this topic. But I'm just looking for the cheapest dentist in town (Houston). To me, dentists are all the same, it's just the cheats will find ways to take your money. That's why the cheap ones are the best. I heard Dr. Dasgupta on Hillcroft is cheap and reliable. Who else?

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The main thing I don't want are dentists inventing BS stuff to gouge more money out of me, even though I've got insurance. I believe I have good healthy teeth even though they are a little yellow, and even though for the most part I only brush in the morning, too lazy to brush at night.

12. rusHour

thats how i felt until all these problems i started having fell apon me. i had a suggestion that it could be gum disease and i know with that sort of thing its best to take care of asap. im really regreting getting to the dentist, especially after the prices i saw but im not sure what is worse - empty wallet or umcomfort while doing anything with mouth.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you havent been to alot of dentists, have you? :D

if you are in austin i would recommend dr. joan sefcik across from central market on guadalupe to anyone - very friendly staff, relaxed environment, dont use mercury-based fillings and they arent stingy w/ the gas!

14. rezdawg

Those fillings (amalgam) have been proven to be safe. Although a portion of the material is made of mercury, it is mixed with other metals in a way to prevent any leakage of toxic materials into the body. Eating fish a few times will give you the same amount of mercury you'd potentially face with an amalgam restoration in your mouth. Regardless, very few dentist still use this type of restoration as a result of the improvements made with the composite material (tooth colored).

As far as those saying to go to the cheapest dentist...I'd be careful with that. Sure, there are those dentists that try to get the most out of you. However, keep in mind that a cheap dentist probably uses a cheap lab and usually cuts short of quality materials in his/her office. The dentist I go to is expensive, but his work is incredible. Well worth the costs.

15. FJY

FJY Member

1/50 of what is actually cost here in other countries.