1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can we get for Mobley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 11, 2000.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I like the guys fire, but I can not take having 2 CRAZY with the pill players on the same team.

Having Francis learning as he turns the ball over is bad enough, but when you have both him and Mobley doing it together, it is real frustrating for a fan.

AT least Francis has a decent shooting percentage. IMHO Mobley is a role player who THINKS he is a star.

He may yet turn in to one, but I think the Rockets would be better off trading him for McGrady or someone in the front court.

If one of you people with a SOURCE could find out what Mobley's trade value is, and what we could get for him, I would love to know.

TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE BROTH !!!!

DaDakota

"Mobley has earned his union card with all those bricks he is laying"

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I would do Mobley for Mcgrady.... But one problem, Mcgrady is a free agent and alot of teams will come after to get him so we will be getting nothing./

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We would own his Bird rights, and Mobley is also a FA at the end of this year, although the Rockets have a right of first refusal in Mobley's case.

Got to go watch the Rockets turnover fest in the 2nd half ...15 first half turnovers..sheesh.

DaDakota

4. 2Sandwiches

2Sandwiches Guest

Well I doubt Vancouver wants to deal him but....

the name Michael Dickerson comes to mind.
    [​IMG]

------------------
    "These are my shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."
    --classic Charles Barkley (don't you miss him?)

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

i love cat's spirit, but seriously, he's been sucking seriously of late... hopefully other gms will have short memories... and when dream comes back, cuttino will be able to take some time w/ his shots... (remember the 7/9 last year that he and dickerson had behind the arc?) if he could develop some value before the deadline send he and drew (*ouch*) to toronto for mcgrady...

then for the draft... I was thinking we'd rip stuff up in baltimore w/ the following lineup:

francis/brent price [​IMG]
    anderson/morris (trade the #4 and cato to the bulls and tell him to play the 2)
    mcgrady(can play all 5 pos)/anderson
    carlos/pig/kennyt
    dream/pig/tbone

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Francis3 shows up with another irrelevant comment:

Mobley is a free agent, too!

Dakota...correct on the MacGrady Bird rights, incorrect on the Mobley "first of right refusal". Rocket's do not have an option.

there is much misinformation regarding Mobley. The latest was a chronicle writer who called him a restricted free agent.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING ANYMORE..under the new CBA.

I recommend not believing anything the media says regarding CBA rules...many journalists are simply underpaid and too lazy to keep up with the new rules.

any journalists out there...bring it on!! The Chronicle was flat-out wrong in the Mobley contract statement made last week.

makes you wonder how I can get correct facts regarding clearly defined CBA rules, and pro writers can misinform, yet we still listen to all their trades rumors and stroke their egos.

(I say this with no claim to ever know the truth of trade rumors...I only care about analyzing completed trades and spreading correct info. My taste, only.)

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I was going to post something about Mobley and Dickerson yesterday, but let me pose this question.

Anyone think we made the wrong decision in trading Dickerson instead of Mobley?

Dickerson is actually showing progress while Mobley is showing us how to build a house with basketballs(BRICKS for those who are too slow to get it). I'm beginning to think that Mobley just won't learn. The kid has no middle range shot. Its either jack it up from 18+ feet or drive it into the land of the giants and make a stupid pass.

Mobley had better start showing some progress or I say the Rockets let him become a free agent. Sucks for us if that happens cause then not only did we lose MD and Cat, but we also lost a great low post player in my boy Othella. DAMN days like this really #$&*(#^%*&@(^!@^$(*&@#!)(*$.

------------------
    Tanking is not acceptable. End of story.

8. Axeman

Axeman Member

I don't think that Vancouver would have made that trade if it was Mobley over Dickerson. If you ask me, if the Rockets had the chance to keep Dickerson and trade Mobley they would have. The bottom line is that Dickerson is a better player than Mobley -- better shooter, better decision-maker, better team player. Anyone who sees it differently has serious vision problems. There's a good reason that Mobley slipped to the 41st pick in the draft and Dickerson was picked in the top 15.
    Does anyone remember the end of last season when Dickerson was just ON FIRE (of course that all stopped in the playoffs - but what do you expect from a rookie). I think one of the reasons Pippen wanted to leave was because of the trade also. I think he saw the Rockets really unloading their prime young talent for an unproven player. (I'm glad the sorry SOB's gone... But, I digress...) I do think that Francis will turn out to be a great player, but as we can all see, he's got a long road ahead, especially if the Rockets don't sign any veterans to give the poor kid some guidance.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

heypartner,

The right of first refusal was part of the CBA signed last summer. Here's the explanation from the Salary Cap FAQ:

"The current CBA provides restricted free agency on a very limited basis. It is allowed following the fourth year of rookie "scale" contracts for first-round draft picks
    (see question number 33). It is also allowed for all veteran free agents who entered the NBA in 98-99 or later, up until their third year in the league. All other free
    agency is limited to unrestricted free agency. "

That means that the Rockets do indeed have right of first refusal on Mobley.

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited January 12, 2000).]

10. heypartner

excellent aelliot

I retract.

no restricted free agents in *previous* CBA. current one protects home team on a limited basis...when they are doing their best to keep a player...picking up the option year, or giving a non-1st rounder a break.

Glad to see their is someone else out there using the FAQ.

Once...just once...I'd like to see Mitch Lawrence or Peter Vescey make a retraction.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 12, 2000).]

11. Lainey

Lainey Member

Axeman is right - the Griz insisted that Dickerson was part of the trade - otherwise it wouldn't have been made. I would have much rather given up Mobley. Dickerson complements Francis’ game a lot better, but I think in the longrun, Francis will make us forget who we lost, and it won’t really matter.

I personally think Mobley's value is decreasing - I mean he's a SG (playing his natural position now so that's no excuse) and his numbers are much worse than last year.

He’s played almost as many minutes this year as last (1,098 this year vs. 1,456 last year) We’ll maybe not almost as much (but over 1,000 is enough – considering someone like Drew has played only 1,100 over the entire two seasons)

But his shooting percentages are dramatically down (38.3% this year vs. 42.5% last year; from downtown – 32.1% this year vs. 35.8% last year.) 32.1% for a shooting guard – that’s pretty bad! And it’s not like he’s just shot a couple – he’s shot over 100, so it’s pretty statistically valid (although I don’t claim to be a statistician.)

I could live with his numbers, if at least he made good decisions, and he didn’t stall the offense by jacking up shots when everyone else on the team (with the exception of Kenny Thomas has made a greater percentage of their shots)

I just find it so amazing to that he expected to be selected for the rookie All Star game with those types of numbers – those are almost the exact same numbers that Drew had last year (as a rookie, not a second year player, and without not as many minutes) and we were all calling for him to be cut!

I do like his heart, that’s hard to replace – but I’m concerned about the downward trend in numbers – you really want to see people increasing (if even slightly from year to year).

Aelliot - I don't understand how the rule applies to Mobley - I thought his contract was only for two years (so how does the fourth year thing apply), also he wasn't a first-rounder, does it apply to second rounders as well?

12. heypartner

Lainey...he's referring to the Bold part.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Who would want to trade for a shooting guard, who can not shoot (that is when he is not turning the ball over)?

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Lainey,

Here's the portion of the rule that is applicable to Mobley:

It is also allowed for all veteran free agents who entered the NBA in 98-99 or later, up until their third year in the league

At the end of the year, Mobley will be a veteran free agent. He entered the league in 98-99 or later. He'll have 3 or less years experience in the league. So, he falls under the right of first refusal rule.

Make sense?

15. WHAM!

WHAM! Member

i just wanted to make a reply to see some more folders on fire...yeah baby...yeah

16. 2Sandwiches

2Sandwiches Guest

Besides the fact he has potential and all that stuff, I'm sure one of the main reasons Vancouver wanted Dickerson is because he played with Bibby in college. Michael said that he knows what Bibby's gonna do before he does it, so it would be a good mix. Didn't they win the NCAA championship together a few years back?(i don't follow college bball as much)

That being said, the Grizzlies would not have taken cat, or im sure he would be there instead of Michael.

I could also talk about how dickerson is the better player, but i would just be rephrasing what axeman already said [​IMG]

------------------
    "These are my shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."
    --classic Charles Barkley (don't you miss him?)

17. CaucasionSensation

I know one thing conspiracy theorists have too much of this board believing that the Rockets could get McGrady for Mobley.

A deal of that nature, straight up, could never happen. So far this year Mobley looks like he is lost for half the games he has played. In those games he can't shoot. Has horrible shot selection. Shows almost no ability to create his shots "within the flow" of the offense by running off picks. Many games he just starts jacking the ball from downtown to get himself back in the game. He's really showing flashes this year, but still showing that he could be very good in the future.

All this for a player with all the athletic ability God can package.

18. Lainey

Lainey Member

Just for the heck of it - I just went to check Dickerson's stats for the year - since I was clueless about what he's done since he's left.

The thing that popped up immediately was that he ranks 15th or so in the NBA with a 85% FT percentage!!!! 85-100 for the year! Wasn't that his biggest weakness last year?

19. CaucasionSensation

Lainey,

No if I remeber correctly it was one of his biggest strengths. Dickerson is was and always will be a marksman in this league. It's a shame we had to trade him but that's the way trades work. It was a good trade for both sides, in my opinion.

20. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, free throw shooting was definately one of his weaknesses last year.