1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can we get for Mobley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 11, 2000.

1. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Dickerson shot 63.9% from the line last year.

2. popeye

popeye Member

I had some reservations when Othella and MD were traded. But the upside is we got Francis. The rest, well, lets just say I like Francis. TMass, etc..., well we should have seen that lame deflated, injured ball coming.

Dickerson versus Mobley: The Trade

The fact that Mobley was mentioned in the trades has been left out of this discussion so far. So, let me enter it. Both these guys were involved in the talks. Mobley and Dickerson. Dickerson got the nod for a number of reasons, not the least of which was he was Bibby's Arizona backcourt mate and they were trying to pump Bibby's game up as much as gain a good starting 2.

Also, RT and CD both felt that Mobley had tons of skill that he hadn't even shown yet. Whereas, Michael as a shooting talent, which is exactly what they drafted him for ... they felt they saw what they thought was relatively everything that MD could do range wise.

Dickerson Versus Mobley: The Skill

In short, Dickerson is a shooter whereas Mobes is a scorer. Make no mistake between the distinction and the glaring way the difference is presented to the public.
    Dickerson has a bad night and somewhere it is lost in the stats if it is a win."It's an off night for MD". If it is a loss, then Dickerson's poor shooting blends nicely with everyone elses. "MD added nothing to the anemic Grizz offense tonight".

Cuttino,the scorer, has a bad night, and it's filled with turnovers, snafus, oops and highlight reels of "bloopers" for NBA Tonight and Sports Center. A scorer has to find ways to get it done, create, etc..., they are much more active with the ball than a shooter. Consequently they are obvious to everyone with eyes when that is not possible.

Just for the record, this Rocket's team is in dire need of a shooter. Have been from almost the very first tipoff. Walt, the shooter designate, the guy taken to replace Dickerson's scoring role, has been largely ineffectual.

Give me a legitimate shooter to compliment the scorers, the defenders, the inside presence, the arc threat, and the veteran's pride and I will show you a team truly rebuilding. Not playing this roulette/bingo draft pick lottery game.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

you know what i say trade mobley for jerome williams of the detroit pistons his points are lower than mobley but he's much more of an exciting player and a little work he could be like a Rodman. but with Rudy guidance he might turn out to be less trouble but just as exciting and fun to have......

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

So, what exactly is Mobley's trade value now? Should we wait for him to get some easy shots off of Hakeem and see if his trade value increases? Or should we go ahead and trade him for someone else..and package Walt with him?

Or should we just watch in AGONY as he and Francis make the same mistakes at the same time?

[​IMG]

DaDakota

PS...Who can we get for Mobley, right now or in the future?

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If we're going to give him up, this is what I would like to get in return:

A young player who plays hard, shows a lot of potential and could be part of our future.

Maybe the Rockets will give us Cuttino Mobley for him.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Clutch,

I take your point, but I think the Rockets need help in the front court, and could use Mobley to get someone.

I see Mobley as a Nick Van Exel type player. He is a bit erratic, will shoot you either in or out of games. More often then not, it is the latter.

I also see him making more ROOKIE mistakes this year then last, when he was a rookie. He seems to try to take too much on his shoulders for his talent level. He is a role player who thinks and acts like a superstar.

Granted, I LOVE his fire, but, I HATE his shot selection. If we could get a talented front court player for him, then I would pull the trigger.

DaDakota

7. popeye

popeye Member

Actually DD, I see him as a forward position Sam Cassell, with a bit more raw athleticism.
    I think he rubs Rudy exactly the same way,too. The exasperation on RT 's face is priceless. Just insert ET's 1994 jersey.

[​IMG]

8. Lainey

Lainey Member

Yeah - thanks for the clarification - the word veteran was throwing me off for some reason, don't know why.